• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone bid in Morphy's Auction yesterday?

18 posts in this topic

Yesterday Morphy's Auction had an ephemera sale with a ton of raw comic book lots in it. I was bidding on several lots, but wondered if anyone from the board was also bidding?

I was the under bidder on the lot of three WBN 32's with two issues of WBN 1 (yes, all five books were in one lot).

Also bidded on several ASM 300 lots.

Anyone else bid or know about the auction?

Yesterday Morphy's Auction had an ephemera sale with a ton of raw comic book lots in it. I was bidding on several lots, but wondered if anyone from the board was also bidding?

I was the under bidder on the lot of three WBN 32's with two issues of WBN 1 (yes, all five books were in one lot).

Yes.

Yes.

Did you win anything or just bid? Some of the lower end lots went for a song while the lots that detailed the books included had some strong bids.

I was bidding...but $900 for 3 asm 300's that might have only been 9.0's was crazy (even the lowest of the 3 lots went for 720)...add on , what, 20% BP and the prices were plumb crazy...

the wwbn 32 lot was the one I wanted...went to 600 I think and was still outbid (and I felt I was overpaying when you add 20% premium)...

c'est la vie

The ASM 300 lots went for good money. Just so hard to tell what the condition was - they were marked as excellent but their excellent scale is sometimes iffy.

I did win one lot which I am very pleased with and I thought went for a fair price.

Even if the asm300 are 9.6, going to be hard to make money at the price paid. Imo

9.4 or less (highly likely) and all 3 lots are losses for a reseller

I was bidding...but $900 for 3 asm 300's that might have only been 9.0's was crazy (even the lowest of the 3 lots went for 720)...add on , what, 20% BP and the prices were plumb crazy...

the wwbn 32 lot was the one I wanted...went to 600 I think and was still outbid (and I felt I was overpaying when you add 20% premium)...

c'est la vie

Hello Gator,

I think I was at $550 before giving up on that lot. It was getting hard to comprehend some of the prices being paid because I personally only had a chance to examine a few lots in person. I am a 'regular' at Morphy's (mainly due to my antique collecting) and was surprised that they really didn't show more pictures for some of the lots that had key issues in them.

Even if the asm300 are 9.6, going to be hard to make money at the price paid. Imo

Yep. I agree I had actually figured them as 9.2s which are right around $200 GPA. I would have taken a gamble at that. 9.4s are $250ish GPA. If the buyer wants them graded add that cost on. The buyers need to hope for at least 9.6s and that would be just about break even.

Wonder if the same buyer won all three lots?

Yep. I agree I had actually figured them as 9.2s which are right around $200 GPA. I would have taken a gamble at that. 9.4s are $250ish GPA. If the buyer wants them graded add that cost on. The buyers need to hope for at least 9.6s and that would be just about break even.

Wonder if the same buyer won all three lots?

Not to mention the 20% buyer's fee (well 18% if paying via cash or check).