• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

The 2nd Print thing does not matter.

I honestly do not think it means anything other than it was released after the original release date of #1.

All Con variants are 2nd prints.

I may just be spinning my wheels with this argument, so I will let it go. (and I now have a Frozen song stuck in my head....)

Sometimes a con variant comes out before the book even comes out.

That's not a 2nd print.

So the first print would actually be the second print. I'm getting a headache lol

Lets all just agree they are beyond a tiny print run on all of them and they are in demand.

I have a question for you CGC pros. I have about 6 of each of the 4A, 4B, 5A , 5B covers, they all look perfect, no wear blemish, or corner issues. My question is , I am Going to a con next weekend and cgc will be there. I am planning on turning in 2 of each for my personal collection, but should I just do them all.. Does slabbing these make sense. Just looking for opinions wont come looking for anyone later :)

Edited by Astoria

I have a question for you CGC pros. I have about 6 of each of the 4A, 4B, 5A , 5B covers, they all look perfect, no wear blemish, or corner issues. My question is , I am Going to a con next weekend and cgc will be there. I am planning on turning in 2 of each for my personal collection, but should I just do them all.. Does slabbing these make sense. Just looking for opinions wont come looking for anyone later :)

what are you going to do with them once they are slabbed? sell? keep? etc?

it is a personal preference no one can tell you what to do with your books :sumo:

Not to get into that debate again, but I would think that any copies of a book that have been scheduled prior to its release (regardless of its cover) would be considered that particular printing. So if the regular edition and three other covers are known to be scheduled prior to its initial release and public consumption, regardless of the EXACT dates that those various editions are officially released (they are on the schedule), then they would go together in that round of printing. Then once the public consumes those various copies, and it becomes known that a further round of printing needs to occur, those further copies then become a subsequent printing. Demand for a book creates need for subsequent printings.

In regards to the NYCC book, I assume that the first issue had been released, and when time came to go to NYCC, they decided that they had to fill demand or simply have more copies available for consumers at the Con. At that point, they decided to make a subsequent (ie. originally unplanned) short printing of the book.

That's the way I see this issue anyway. I know, sorry, beating a dead horse at this point.... :sorry:

Edited by dane323

I guess my question is . How much value change does slabbing these books do, being that they are not first 3 issues. Irregardless if i sell or keep

4 and 5 will not give you as much "bang for you buck".. yet hm

Sorry if it was a dumb question. I'm new to slabbing books, not to collecting. I just wanted opinions on what books should or should not get slabbed. Realizing that no one predicts the future , wanted general opinion on what you guys think

I hate comparing anything to Walking Dead, but you can see that first 6 or 7 issues still command several hundred dollars each in 9.8 condition. So there is precedent that early issues of a very popular "tv" series can be well worth slabbing.

On the other hand, you can also look at that comparison as, Wow, if the 4 and 5 issues of Walking Dead are topping out at $300 and $260 respectively, then what's the likelihood that any other series' 4 and 5 in a similar "tv show" situation can even reach those heights?

Of course, character 1st appearances can dramatically change any issue's value (ie. WD 19 with Michonne).

In any event, if it was for my own personal collection and not to sell, I would probably just slab the best copy of each issue. For now anyway. Use the extra moolah in the short term to buy more now before prices get too outrageous! :insane:

Edited by dane323

I've got at least two of every issue so far and I'm not slabbing anything yet. It's too early to see any gain on #4/5 and if they do become very valuable, then slab them. It's not like CGC is going anywhere. I'll wait till I se the books at a price I like, slab them and sell a set and keep one for myself.

I hate comparing anything to Walking Dead, but you can see that first 6 or 7 issues still command several hundred dollars each in 9.8 condition. So there is precedent that early issues of a very popular "tv" series can be well worth slabbing.

meh

The 2nd Print thing does not matter.

I honestly do not think it means anything other than it was released after the original release date of #1.

All Con variants are 2nd prints.

I may just be spinning my wheels with this argument, so I will let it go. (and I now have a Frozen song stuck in my head....)

Sometimes a con variant comes out before the book even comes out.

That's not a 2nd print.

lol

I know...

I'm done with this conversation.

I will just say I enjoy me some Con exclusives.

Not to get into that debate again, but I would think that any copies of a book that have been scheduled prior to its release (regardless of its cover) would be considered that particular printing. So if the regular edition and three other covers are known to be scheduled prior to its initial release and public consumption, regardless of the EXACT dates that those various editions are officially released (they are on the schedule), then they would go together in that round of printing. Then once the public consumes those various copies, and it becomes known that a further round of printing needs to occur, those further copies then become a subsequent printing. Demand for a book creates need for subsequent printings.

In regards to the NYCC book, I assume that the first issue had been released, and when time came to go to NYCC, they decided that they had to fill demand or simply have more copies available for consumers at the Con. At that point, they decided to make a subsequent (ie. originally unplanned) short printing of the book.

That's the way I see this issue anyway. I know, sorry, beating a dead horse at this point.... :sorry:

I DO like this explanation of what constitutes a 1st and subsequent printings though!

So everyone here agrees the #1 NYCC is most unwanted cause its a con varaint and technically a second printing?

:baiting:(shrug):takeit:

It's not technically. It's printed on the book " second printing " :makepoint:

That is the biggest reason I :preach: it's not a first print