• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW

57 posts in this topic

Are those two color breaking ticks under Doom's word balloon? If so, I can see questioning the 9.6 grade, but could still be a 9.4.

Even if you think there are only 2 or 3 "real" grades above NM, instead of 4, you have to allow for some flaws to account for the near in near mint.

Even though it now sits in a 9.6 holder, book is still a 9.4.

9.4 might be generous. I'm not sure how it looked pre-sub, but as it sits without seeing back cover 9.2 seems reasonable. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to own it!

I think the 9.6 is blinding.

Grading from a scan is a fool's game but I am grumpy enough to do so ....

... would you really want that much lower spine corner wear on a solid 9.2? :sumo:

... and I'd need to see an earlier scan of the book before I'd comment on the bottom right corner. :sumo:

I'm curious to see what action they get on this. There's a 9.2 white copy they have up for 27k that looks awfully sharp.

Take a look at the back cover scan. Shaken Comic Syndrome at the top.

Books like this always make me question CGCs integrity. Like come on, it has 2 sharp corners and I can't tell if the upper right has a faint corner bend or not.

It has been previously discussed that the "grading standards" differ from the Gold/Silver Age to the more recent (possibly why certain graders only grade within certain ages).

If that's true it stands to reason books published more recently would grade lower than much older books in the same/similar condition. Whether that is to account for their advance in age past the more recent books or the lack of publishing quality at the time of production (or both) I don't know, but if you subscribe to the theory this book would be a prime example for the reinforcement of that notion.

What that spot on the front cover above the "S" in Fantastic?

Almost looks like a water spot. Maybe it's on the slab? (shrug) (But it looks like it's on the book.)

Books like this always make me question CGCs integrity. Like come on, it has 2 sharp corners and I can't tell if the upper right has a faint corner bend or not.

It has been previously discussed that the "grading standards" differ from the Gold/Silver Age to the more recent (possibly why certain graders only grade within certain ages).

If that's true it stands to reason books published more recently would grade lower than much older books in the same/similar condition. Whether that is to account for their advance in age past the more recent books or the lack of publishing quality at the time of production (or both) I don't know, but if you subscribe to the theory this book would be a prime example for the reinforcement of that notion.

That is correct, but there seems to be a little more give with GA books than SA's. OPG mentions this as well when they publish their grading standards.

As for the comparison to modern books, I don't even think a 9.9 Star Wars #1 $.35 would fetch $150k. I might be incorrect. Ill check gpa and the census to see if one even exists. That said, with the price tag on that FF 5 it has to hold up to a little scrutiny. Don't get me wrong. It's gorgeous. But between the CBC's, corner wear and staple wear I don't see anyone here stating its a strong example of an early SA 9.6. I'm sure there's a FF collector that will jump on it, but they would be wise to do a little bartering IMHO.

But for me, the shocking thing is that somebody was able to get the book into a 9.6 holder when Doug his-middle-name-might-be-Resubmit Schmell couldn't.

^^

But for me, the shocking thing is that somebody was able to get the book into a 9.6 holder when Doug his-middle-name-might-be-Resubmit Schmell couldn't.

^^

i'd like to see some equally high res front and backs on it in the 9.6, and see if the spine's been tweaked at all. It looks identical from what i can make out.

previous 9.4 that has been finally upgraded to 9.6 (after countless press/resubs I'm sure)

How many resubs does it take before CGC gives up and hands you the grade you want? ???