• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is JIM 83 higher priced than TOS 39 in Overstreet?

30 posts in this topic

There`s a difference between rare and unaffordable. Lots of books are not rare but still are unaffordable.

And sometimes it seems that the highest priced comics are among the most easily found. The high prices bring the supply onto the market.

(shrug)

I think you have 2 factors that occur around the same time (+/- a year or two) which influence supply and condition of Marvel Silver: (i) the explosion the "Marvel age of comics" around 1964 when it becomes clear to Marvel that they are pumping out veritable winners, which leads them to increase print runs; and (ii) the advent of comic book collecting in the mid-60s as an organized hobby, which leads to (i) preservation of the existing, more limited Marvel supply that came out in '62 through '64 and (ii) conservation of the newer, and greater, supply that is being published by Marve from 1965 forward.

I think you have 2 factors that occur around the same time (+/- a year or two) which influence supply and condition of Marvel Silver: (i) the explosion the "Marvel age of comics" around 1964 when it becomes clear to Marvel that they are pumping out veritable winners, which leads them to increase print runs; and (ii) the advent of comic book collecting in the mid-60s as an organized hobby, which leads to (i) preservation of the existing, more limited Marvel supply that came out in '62 through '64 and (ii) conservation of the newer, and greater, supply that is being published by Marve from 1965 forward.

(thumbs u

I would say, however, that the second factor is more influential than the first,

I think you have 2 factors that occur around the same time (+/- a year or two) which influence supply and condition of Marvel Silver: (i) the explosion the "Marvel age of comics" around 1964 when it becomes clear to Marvel that they are pumping out veritable winners, which leads them to increase print runs; and (ii) the advent of comic book collecting in the mid-60s as an organized hobby, which leads to (i) preservation of the existing, more limited Marvel supply that came out in '62 through '64 and (ii) conservation of the newer, and greater, supply that is being published by Marvel from 1965 forward.

Don't forget Mile High II

:thumbsup:

1962 Marvels are scarcer than 1963 Marvels.

That's really what it boils down to. The '62 Marvel 1st apps...Hulk #1, TTA #27 (35), and JIM #83 are much more rare than their '63 counterparts.

Fantasy #15 isn't as rare as the others, but that's because it was saved earlier on than the others.

There were, by the time JIM #83 appeared, only two other Marvel superhero titles existed: FF and Hulk.

By the time TOS #39 appeared, Marvel was up to 5 superhero titles: FF, Hulk, TTA, JIM, and Strange Tales, with Spidey premiering the same month.

People simply saved more.

The latter. If you collect comics you should already know that there are quantum leaps in availability from one year to the next every single year from the early fifties to about 1965 when the exponential curve really starts to flatten out.

:preach:

I really think at this point there are a large amount of collectors who still are not aware of how crazy the availability/year curve really looks. I am very interested to see how this plays out in the hobby over the years.

These collectors have to be fairly young and quite new to the hobby though. Somehow I don't think they were buying comics off the rack in drugstores and newsstands in 1961.

(shrug)

The latter. If you collect comics you should already know that there are quantum leaps in availability from one year to the next every single year from the early fifties to about 1965 when the exponential curve really starts to flatten out.

I should rephrase the last part of that statement. Mathematically speaking, the exponential curve of present day availability rises more and more steeply on the vertical available number axis throughout the sixties. Comics from 1962 are perhaps twice as plentiful as those from 1961 and comics from 1969 are maybe fifty times as plentiful as those from 1961.

:preach:

1962 Marvels are scarcer than 1963 Marvels.

That's really what it boils down to. The '62 Marvel 1st apps...Hulk #1, TTA #27 (35), and JIM #83 are much more rare than their '63 counterparts.

Fantasy #15 isn't as rare as the others, but that's because it was saved earlier on than the others.

There were, by the time JIM #83 appeared, only two other Marvel superhero titles existed: FF and Hulk.

By the time TOS #39 appeared, Marvel was up to 5 superhero titles: FF, Hulk, TTA, JIM, and Strange Tales, with Spidey premiering the same month.

People simply saved more.

(thumbs u

That makes sense.