• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Spectre series

15 posts in this topic

The Mike Fleischer run with Jim Aparo art from Adventure in the 70's is one of my favorites as well.

+1.

Shameless plug. Check out this month's CL auction. :)

Can anyone tell me about the differences between the various Spectre series? Namely the Ostrander and Moench runs. Is one series darker than the other? How does the art compare?

Ostrander studied theology, so his run delves into Spectre's role as the wrath of God, and gets into comparative religions and such. It's quite a thoughtful read, highly recommended.

Can anyone tell me about the differences between the various Spectre series? Namely the Ostrander and Moench runs. Is one series darker than the other? How does the art compare?

Ostrander studied theology, so his run delves into Spectre's role as the wrath of God, and gets into comparative religions and such. It's quite a thoughtful read, highly recommended.

The situations used by Ostrander also often tended to have more moral ambiguity than those in the Fleisher run. Grey areas.

The Mike Fleischer run with Jim Aparo art from Adventure in the 70's is one of my favorites as well.

+1. Great read. Stories a lot darker than what DC was doing at the time.

I remember loving the Ostrander books but can't tell you much past that. I looking up which ones I read, I found that Doug Moench wrote and Gene Colan drew the first six issues of the 1987 series and then Mike Mignola did the covers for three issues, two of which are a huge foreshadowing of the style he would adopt for Hellboy.

I think I need to put this run together….

hm

I have never read them all. One here, another there, and all were good, but I need to read them all…

I have never read them all. One here, another there, and all were good, but I need to read them all…

Get the trade! Highly recommended!! :sumo:

+1. Great read. Stories a lot darker than what DC was doing at the time.

Totally agree - these stories/art are awesome. Amazing stuff.

......but I have all the mandrafe/ostrander run. very dark at times but absolutely brilliant stuff. the highest recommendation I can give

Agreed. Just great stuff.