• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody know the story behind the Sandman #1 Signed "For eBay"

41 posts in this topic

Bleeding Cool -

It wasn’t for eBay… Sandfan has become Sadfan.

Yet..there it is. FOR SALE on eBay.

That's not the one from the story, so nope. He must do it regularly.

He did it to more than one book at the time of incident.

But Sean Fingh's book is different from the one on eBay: Mike's sigs are different. How many books did Mike Dringenberg sign "For eBay!" on?

All of them.

No, not all of them. (thumbs u

He didn't sign all of the ones that say "for eBay". Who added it then?

He didn't sign every book "For Ebay" but all books signed "For Ebay" may have been done by him. (thumbs u

Bleeding Cool -

It wasn’t for eBay… Sandfan has become Sadfan.

Yet..there it is. FOR SALE on eBay.

That's not the one from the story, so nope. He must do it regularly.

He did it to more than one book at the time of incident.

Exactly. Just not every book he signed. (thumbs u

If that book was for my private collection and he did that to me i would have sold that book on the spot and been PISSED! So I do not blame them for putting it on ebay. In my opinion he ruined the book. Dude has no class.

Dude! WTF my name is not ebay!

The sea was angry that day, my friends . . .

lol, awesome how it worked out though. Actually kind of disappointed there are other ones that have the ebay part on it,

How did it work out?

If that book was for my private collection and he did that to me i would have sold that book on the spot and been PISSED! So I do not blame them for putting it on ebay. In my opinion he ruined the book. Dude has no class.

He would sign your name if you gave it to him. For those that did not want it personalized it was made out to ebay.

He would sign your name if you gave it to him. For those that did not want it personalized it was made out to ebay.

Which was, is, and always will be, completely inappropriate.

MD had the right to ask for compensation, or to refuse to not personalize if it was made clear that he was only going to personalize - in effect not signing at all. It was inappropriate for him to deface my (and other's) books due to the assumptions that he was making about flipping, and his own highly inflated sense of self-worth.

MD had the right to ask for compensation, or to refuse to not personalize if it was made clear that he was only going to personalize - in effect not signing at all. It was inappropriate for him to deface my (and other's) books due to the assumptions that he was making about flipping, and his own highly inflated sense of self-worth.

I have to agree with this. Even if the artist, not just him but any artist, gets pissed off that people are flipping their signed books it's uncalled for to of the fans since they're the ones that allow the artist to keep having that job in the first place. If nobody bought anything the artist did then companies would learn real quick not to use them for anything.

Just to chime in, that sandman #1 on eBay was originally mine. I sent 10 of my Dringenberg sandman books to ECCC for him to sign and I was SUPER excited about it because I'm trying to put together a full ss set.

Anyway, he signed 4 of them "for eBay", including #1, before the CAW stopped him. I ended up selling it on the boards here to fund a purchase of another signed copy.

So... If you'd like a piece of history, drop me a PM and you could have your very own Dringenberg "for eBay"!! I'm extremely open to trade.

Jiri

Just to chime in, that sandman #1 on eBay was originally mine. I sent 10 of my Dringenberg sandman books to ECCC for him to sign and I was SUPER excited about it because I'm trying to put together a full ss set.

Anyway, he signed 4 of them "for eBay", including #1, before the CAW stopped him. I ended up selling it on the boards here to fund a purchase of another signed copy.

So... If you'd like a piece of history, drop me a PM and you could have your very own Dringenberg "for eBay"!! I'm extremely open to trade.

Jiri

I bought it, figuring I would Sadfan it up like the #6 for a matching set.

The sea was angry that day, my friends . . .

lol, awesome how it worked out though. Actually kind of disappointed there are other ones that have the ebay part on it,

How did it work out?

I guess this is what he meant. Still a jerk move by MD no matter how spiffied up it gets.

After San Diego where Sam Kieth added "For Sean" and Dave McKean added "For Sadfan" I just need Neil Gaiman to add "For Fingh" and it will be complete.

photo_zps2adb9d85.jpg

Jiri

Did he sign the other ones or just stop signing them right there?

My apologies if I somehow condoned his actions. He did not communicate his intentions and that is what messed the whole thing up. Even a little sign at his table would have been great.

I have to agree with this. Even if the artist, not just him but any artist, gets pissed off that people are flipping their signed books it's uncalled for to of the fans since they're the ones that allow the artist to keep having that job in the first place. If nobody bought anything the artist did then companies would learn real quick not to use them for anything.

Some artists simply do not appreciate the secondary market. My latest conversation about this I compared myself to a publisher like marvel. I offered to pay the artist for their time with the understanding that I was going to turn around and distribute the books to the secondary market. It's the same as being paid by Marvel for the primary market. (shrug)