• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATLAS COMICS

42 posts in this topic

Picked up a group of these comics from 1975 at an auction a few years back.

Seemed to have some interesting characters.

9401048821_d0f608c690.jpg

mm

Some fun Titles to collect, with some top tier, artists and writers.

I have put together and sold a few complete sets, of the complete Atlas line over the years, and still have most of complete set. I should work on completing it. hm

Yeah, Planet of the Vampires was excellent, as was Iron-Jaw

They really did! The Magazine size line from what Have heard can be a nightmare to find, but at only 61 total issues of the comics, a little patience can net all of them. As you know the Vickis are the difficult ones to find and will cost the most, really tough to find those in decent shape.

All in all its a cool corner of the hobby to focus on, I mean how many complete lines of a publisher is it still doable to compile complete? :cool:

I already posted these somewhere else, but they fit here better.

Destructor1CGC98WA_zps6e373526.jpg

GrimGhost1CGC98OWWA_zpse03d2d0a.jpg

TERRIFIC BOOKS!...didn't realize there was this much interest in ATLAS COMICS.

mm

Since we are talking Atlas comics, there is something I noticed long ago that I've never seen discussed: The first issue of The Brute (February 1975) copies the 1970's Sci-Fi movie "Trog" starring Joan Crawford. If anyone has seen the movie and then read the first issue of The Brute you can see that even some of the panels copy the movie shots and angles. My question is did they buy the rights to this movie or was it blatant plagiarism?

From Wikipedia:

Set in contemporary England, the film follows Doctor Brockton (Joan Crawford) who learns that in the caves of the countryside, a troglodyte is alive and might be able to be helped and even domesticated. She gets the creature to the surface and attempts to train him, but runs into trouble as a few people oppose this, especially a local businessman afraid of negative commercial consequences, Sam Murdock (Michael Gough). Murdock frees the creature, leading to a rampage.

148497.jpg.5c04822202d4e63f3d009fe96534d575.jpg

The amazing and peculiar thing to experience while reading the Seaboard Atlas titles is that the ones that made it to issue 3 or 4 experienced a complete change of direction and storyline with little or no in-story explanation. How many lines of comics rebooted themselves after only two issues?

Since we are talking Atlas comics, there is something I noticed long ago that I've never seen discussed: The first issue of The Brute (February 1975) copies the 1970's Sci-Fi movie "Trog" starring Joan Crawford. If anyone has seen the movie and then read the first issue of The Brute you can see that even some of the panels copy the movie shots and angles. My question is did they buy the rights to this movie or was it blatant plagiarism?

Goodness, how I remember that movie. My family had just moved from a small town to Oklahoma City. I was 10 or so and that movie was showing on late night TV. This had to be 1972 because that was when we moved. I remember it scaring the bejeebers out of me lol

Looking back, Joan Crawford may have been scarier than Trog.

Cool find on the Brute comic and movie relationship.

Late night tv, probably "Chiller Theater" was where I first saw Trog also. I'd have to dig out my copy of the Brute #1 to refresh my memory but the whole scene where the young explorers find the Brute in the cave is almost frame by frame taken from the movie IIRC!

Late night tv, probably "Chiller Theater" was where I first saw Trog also. I'd have to dig out my copy of the Brute #1 to refresh my memory but the whole scene where the young explorers find the Brute in the cave is almost frame by frame taken from the movie IIRC!

Since we're off topic a bit, OKC had a late night horror host - Count Gregor. It was most likely there. He is actually still around and comes to the Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom cons - he was there earlier this year.

The amazing and peculiar thing to experience while reading the Seaboard Atlas titles is that the ones that made it to issue 3 or 4 experienced a complete change of direction and storyline with little or no in-story explanation. How many lines of comics rebooted themselves after only two issues?

Very true. Issue #3 of The Brute ( I'm missing #2) starts him on the "superhero" path and has a completely different feel from the first issue.

Planet of the Vampires needs to be made into a Sharknado type movie.

I think it would put a stake in the heart of the Vampire craze that is 10 years going.

A jump the shark moment, so to speak.