• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most milestones/keys in a year?

39 posts in this topic

My 12 issue run would be Detective #27-38.

Fewer more important 12 issue runs in comics.

First app, classic cover, origin, drug cover, Robin.

Nothing else even comics close, even Action #1-12.

^^

No doubt DC 27-38 is the best run ever. But if we had to break it down to each age Id go with the following:

Golden=DC 27-38

Silver=FF 1-12

Bronze=X-Men 129-141 (13 issues)

Copper=NM 87-98

Modern=WD 1-12

Yeah, I guess I was in the Silver to Bronze Age mindset when I was talking with the wife but Tec clearly takes the cake.

The X-Men mention is funny. Same problem I had. If you're going off my 12-issue mandate which way do you err on the side of the Dark Phoenix saga? Do you take 129 to bring in Kitty or go with 141-142 to get the DoFP storyline. A conundrum indeed.

^^

No doubt DC 27-38 is the best run ever. But if we had to break it down to each age Id go with the following:

Golden=DC 27-38

Silver=FF 1-12

Copper=NM 87-98

Modern=WD 1-12

I think for Silver I'd put ASM 1-12 above FF 1-12. Sure it is a huge run, but can you name all the villains created in the run? The Spidey run from 1-12 is HUGE. Almost each issue introduces a rogue into the gallery.

^^

Golden=DC 27-38

Silver=FF 1-12

Copper=NM 87-98

Modern=WD 1-12

I think for Silver I'd put ASM 1-12 above FF 1-12. Sure it is a huge run, but can you name all the villains created in the run? The Spidey run from 1-12 is HUGE. Almost each issue introduces a rogue into the gallery.

ASM 1-12 is money. No doubt about it. Doc Ock, Sandman, Vulture, Lizard, Enforcers, Electro.....very strong indeed. I'm not sure Id put those over 1st FF, 1st Doom, 1st SA Subby, 1st Costumes; etc especially since Spidey 1 isn't the first app.

As a Spider-man fan, I give the nod to the twelve consecutive Fantastic Four issues that the original poster named. Silver Surfer and Galactus provided the premise of how insignificant everyone on Earth was. Black Panther introduced the first African superhero in the Marvel Universe that was a departure from the Stereotype of the 40's. Lee and Kirby were pushing the FF as the groundbreaking title and I believe that it is during that run that showcases this.

Even though there are only 8 issues (#2-9), the 1962 calendar year for the Fantastic Four was a busy one:

#2-1st Skrulls

#3-1st FF in costumes

#4-1st Silver Age Sub-Mariner

#5-1st Doctor Doom

#6-1st Doom/Subby Supervillain team up

#8-1st Puppet Master

Not a bad year.

Hard to argue with the Showcase run though.

Cover-date year. :shy:

As a keeper of the faith, the 1962 calendar year releases were issues 4 to 12. :baiting:

For Bronze age, do people really think X-Men 129-141 is more important than GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 - 105? I think the introduction of the new team, first appearances of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Thunderbird, and then Phoenix is more game changing than the developments on the book a few years later.

showcase 4 -22

flash, challengers of the unknown, lois lane, adam strange, rip hunter, green lantern

That's a 3 year run.

he said 12 issue period but I understand there are a few more but for pure potency you can't beat this stretch.

You broke BOTH parameters of the original discussion.

lol

Same time period as the Detective 27 to 38 run...

May 39 to April 40

Detective Comics 27

Superman 1

New York World's Fair Comics 1

Adventure Comics 40

Detective Comics 31

Marvel Comics 1

Flash Comics 1

Pep Comics 1

More Fun Comics 52

Whiz Comics 2

Batman 1

Detective Comics 38

May 39 to April 40

Detective Comics 27

Superman 1

Adventure Comics 40

Detective Comics 31

Marvel Comics 1

Flash Comics 1

Pep Comics 1

More Fun Comics 52

Whiz Comics 2

Batman 1

Detective Comics 38

BOOM!

May 39 to April 40

Detective Comics 27

Superman 1

Adventure Comics 40

Detective Comics 31

Marvel Comics 1

Flash Comics 1

Pep Comics 1

More Fun Comics 52

Whiz Comics 2

Batman 1

Detective Comics 38

Wow. Probably should have clarified myself in the thread title that I meant more along what year period in an individual book stands out. Nevertheless what you just mentioned is insane.

For Bronze age, do people really think X-Men 129-141 is more important than GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 - 105? I think the introduction of the new team, first appearances of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Thunderbird, and then Phoenix is more game changing than the developments on the book a few years later.

Here's why I lean towards 129-141. The GSX1 and 94 definitely are more significant but besides 101 there's nothing on that run that really stands out. The 129-141 only really has 3 issues that aren't significant. You have the following:

129 - First Kitty and Emma Frost

131-133 - First Hellfire Club, Sebastian Shaw, and Emma as the White Queen

134-138 - Dark Phoenix Saga

141-142 - Days of Future Past

That's a crazy years worth of stories that would resonate.

Here's why I lean towards 129-141. The GSX1 and 94 definitely are more significant but besides 101 there's nothing on that run that really stands out. The 129-141 only really has 3 issues that aren't significant. You have the following:

129 - First Kitty and Emma Frost

131-133 - First Hellfire Club, Sebastian Shaw, and Emma as the White Queen

134-138 - Dark Phoenix Saga

141-142 - Days of Future Past

That's a crazy years worth of stories that would resonate.

130 - First Dazzler

You make a great point and you are probably correct. I've just got a real soft spot for the Byrne run. 131-134 is one of the greatest battles in the history of comics and it gave Wolverine a huge push. However, without GSX 1 and 94 there is no Byrne run, so Id be happy to side with you on this one.

May 39 to April 40

Detective Comics 27

Superman 1

Adventure Comics 40

Detective Comics 31

Marvel Comics 1

Flash Comics 1

Pep Comics 1

More Fun Comics 52

Whiz Comics 2

Batman 1

Detective Comics 38

All that in 1 year... :cloud9:

You make a great point and you are probably correct. I've just got a real soft spot for the Byrne run. 131-134 is one of the greatest battles in the history of comics and it gave Wolverine a huge push. However, without GSX 1 and 94 there is no Byrne run, so Id be happy to side with you on this one.

The Phoenix Saga is forever. The early Cockrum issues are where they launch an island into space, and argue with each other. Yes, 129-141 is more significant for story and development. No, it's not worth as much...