• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

THE GIVING TREE RULES:

• No HOS/PL Members (tsk)
  • You must have at least 50 posts and 3 months on the Boards
  • If you claim something, you must post your offering within 24 hours
  • Only one offer at a time. No new offer can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed
  • Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away
  • Only one :takeit: per month, per member.
  • 3 Strike Rule: If you are receive 3 strikes in a year, you can no longer participate in the thread.
  • 3 Day Window to have an offer claimed. If your offer is not claimed in 3 days, you get a strike.
  • If an offer is not claimed, anyone is free to post an offer.
  • If your items are not claimed, you are not allowed to offer them again.
  • You can only claim something from each member once in a given year.
  • The offeror has "veto power" to reject a take it.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Just remember - if all you do is take and give nothing back, there will be nothing left of the tree.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Not to be the rule nazi but I think the veto thing still needs to be polished.

1.) Can the offeror veto a person regardless of their offer? If someone just doesn't like a person can they veto that person, or can they only veto what they perceive to be a sub par offer?

2.) Given how fast a thread like this can move, do you lose your veto power if someone posts a follow up offer and it's claimed before you even see it? If your veto can be used to block the person making the claim regardless of what they offer, the flow of transactions could get several deep before you show up to and see who claimed your item.

I would say that if someone's follow-up offer has already been claimed then the veto power has been lost. I would like to think that if the board claimed it that quickly, they deemed it worthy but I am sure there would be exceptions. It would not be fair or beneficial to the thread to try and back it up.

THE GIVING TREE RULES:

• Only one offer at a time. No new offer can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed
  • 3 Strike Rule: If you are receive 3 strikes in a year, you can no longer participate in the thread.
  • 3 Day Window to have an offer claimed. If your offer is not claimed in 3 days, you get a strike.

Just remember - if all you do is take and give nothing back, there will be nothing left of the tree.

1.) Can the offeror veto a person regardless of their offer? If someone just doesn't like a person can they veto that person, or can they only veto what they perceive to be a sub par offer?

2.) Given how fast a thread like this can move, do you lose your veto power if someone posts a follow up offer and it's claimed before you even see it? If your veto can be used to block the person making the claim regardless of what they offer, the flow of transactions could get several deep before you show up to and see who claimed your item.

1 - i think it should be the offer not the person, if it's the person it could get ugly here

2 - i believe the veto is in place to avoid junk to get offered, aka stalling the thread, if it gets taken and moves the thread then I don't see an issue

just my thoughts

THE GIVING TREE RULES:

I would say that if someone's follow-up offer has already been claimed then the veto power has been lost. I would like to think that if the board claimed it that quickly, they deemed it worthy but I am sure there would be exceptions. It would not be fair or beneficial to the thread to try and back it up.

I assumed that as well, if something was taken you can't back everything up to veto it, but there will probably be situations where people will want to veto something just because they don't like the person who claimed their offer, if that's allowed. And since it isn't clear, I thought it needed clarification.

I'm just going to leave it alone until someone actually uses "veto power."

(1) If a person chooses to not have their offering taken by someone else - for whatever reason - that should be their right to say (tsk)

(2) If someone claims something and then posts junk and their buddy comes along and claims it immediately just so their bud can get the generous offer, I'm not taking away the right from the first offerer to say (tsk)

This is not PIF. :sumo: Let's just let it run it's course and see what happens, alright. (thumbs u

(1) If a person chooses to not have their offering taken by someone else - for whatever reason - that should be their right to say (tsk)

(2) If someone claims something and then posts junk and their buddy comes along and claims it immediately just so their bud can get the generous offer, I'm not taking away the right from the first offerer to say (tsk)

This is not PIF. :sumo: Let's just let it run it's course and see what happens, alright. (thumbs u

tumblr_m5rnyffTcX1qmwbah.gif

I'm more of a, "try to address potential problems before they arise" kind of guy, eliminating the potential for debate, disagreements, and butt-hurt ahead of time. But it's your boat, rock it however you want. I suppose a simple "My ruling is final" disclaimer would be the catch all for this sort of thing, if you are going to police the thread.

Stormy-Weather-in-the-SCS.jpg

:popcorn:

I understand what you're saying. But I saw people try to take steps to prevent PIF participants from abusing the system and people just found ways around the rules.

My purpose of this thread is to allow people to post generous offers without feeling taken advantage of. It was a great idea that sprung up last night to give the offeror some sort of control - after all it is THEIR offering. What good would come out of "defining" or limiting that sort of "veto power" so someone posts something great and someone they really don't like takes it or a donkey takes it. I don't want the offeror saying "well, that sucked. I won't be participating in that thread again."

It's fine to say that I'm policing this thread and "my ruling is final" like I'm some sort of comic book forum tyrant or something :D - I just watched PIF go down in the dumper long enough and wanted to try something else. People are absolutely free to participate or not participate in either this thread, PIF or create their own. In a week, this thread could be buried in Comics General obscurity but I at least wanted to TRY. I don't want to make so many rules that it also makes people say "too much reading, why bother." I thought the "veto power" was a great idea - I don't want to start placing limitations on it before we've even seen it in practice. If someone uses it, there will be butthurt they'll have to deal with anyway so it's their call.

Justin send me those y trades. I want to borrow them. Serious. Been wanting to read them. Id send somebody something but too scared they would offer up some dreky wildly_fanciful_statement

:sorry: Jason! I just gave them away to a bud! But I'll have him send them to you when he's done. (thumbs u

Justin send me those y trades. I want to borrow them. Serious. Been wanting to read them. Id send somebody something but too scared they would offer up some dreky wildly_fanciful_statement

:sorry: Jason! I just gave them away to a bud! But I'll have him send them to you when he's done. (thumbs u

Goddamit