• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

Nope. v49f0y.gif

Nope the offer isnt rescinded or nope you wont let it slide

It's not rescinded or I would have updated the first post. ;)

So I am confused, are Mystery Boxes okay now?

I'm sure a true mystery box would be against the rules but giving someone $150 to spend in your sales thread is ok. Its definitely one of those grey areas but since ComicalGems has listed the keys in the boxes they are not actually mystery boxes he is selling. Either way - Harvey has said the offer was ok. On to the next offer.

But the $150 was to spend in a sales thread that only has mystery boxes. Some of the mystery boxes have themes, some list an item or two, but in the end they are still mystery boxes. So can I now claim an item and say I will send you a box full of comics that will include X and Y, but it is valued at $125?

I'm not trying to be picky, but to me a mystery box whether you list an item or two in the end is still a mystery box.

Does anyone have a suggestion as what I should do about comicalgems' offer about $150 towards his sales thread - which I though was amazingly generous - and a heroclix?

I hear a lot of "well, isn't this a mystery box?"

I've already made the decision anyway but I see a lot of :blahblah: about it so have at it? What should we do? What is "the best" decision? :popcorn:

It was an offer that was a little outside the box and very generous from Comicalgems. It was snatched up very quickly and did not affect the flow of the thread in any way. It may have been close to skirting the rules but I don't believe it was intended to. In the end, it is impossible for Swick to make a rule for every sort of possibility that could arise. His main role is to keep the thread moving and in this case it did. Let it ride :)

Nope. v49f0y.gif

Nope the offer isnt rescinded or nope you wont let it slide

It's not rescinded or I would have updated the first post. ;)

So I am confused, are Mystery Boxes okay now?

I'm sure a true mystery box would be against the rules but giving someone $150 to spend in your sales thread is ok. Its definitely one of those grey areas but since ComicalGems has listed the keys in the boxes they are not actually mystery boxes he is selling. Either way - Harvey has said the offer was ok. On to the next offer.

But the $150 was to spend in a sales thread that only has mystery boxes. Some of the mystery boxes have themes, some list an item or two, but in the end they are still mystery boxes. So can I now claim an item and say I will send you a box full of comics that will include X and Y, but it is valued at $125?

I'm not trying to be picky, but to me a mystery box whether you list an item or two in the end is still a mystery box.

I'd say what you are suggesting would be ok. If you say I'm including a X-Factor 6 and a ASM 361 and a bunch of other books valued at $150 then the person will be accepting the X-Factor 6 & ASM 361 and the mystery books are extra. But if you said I'm putting a X-Force 1 and 2 into a box and a mystery assortment of books valued at $150 then I could see a veto coming your way since the only know books are a X-Force 1 & 2 which would probably get vetoed.

Most of this is just justification but I think it pretty obvious a person who offers a de-facto mystery box with a proven track record of offering great stuff is going to get a better reception than someone who people do not know. Is it 100% fair? Probably not but life is not 100% fair.

To be clear: I am sure Jason will always offer great stuff – I just asked because the rule is still there, and I quite agree with it. From what I get, Harvey tried to avoid the situation where a Mystery Box is a caveat to offer less than what you have got, which is obviously never the case with Jason.

That is why – I guess – Harvey appreciated my comment but when the Mystery Box is a warranty or semi-revealed it does not become an issue, neither in terms of generosity nor of "thread flowing", right? hm

To be clear: I am sure Jason will always offer great stuff – I just asked because the rule is still there, and I quite agree with it. From what I get, Harvey tried to avoid the situation where a Mystery Box is a caveat to offer less than what you have got, which is obviously never the case with Jason.

That is why – I guess – Harvey appreciated my comment but when the Mystery Box is a warranty or semi-revealed it does not become an issue, neither in terms of generosity nor of "thread flowing", right? hm

:golfclap:

I eliminated mystery boxes to prevent a few from once again gaming the system. I don't think Jason ever would. Additionally, I like to encourage participation from long-standing, respected members so I'm not going with a hard line interpretation of the rules with some. I would hope common sense might have made that transparent, but I guess sometimes I'm overly optimistic. doh!

Of course the rolling eyes emoticon does not help – it‘s pretty enigmatic… lol

The rolling eye emote wasn't for you. :makepoint:

Go back and look. I was rolling my eye' say JAM_NYC's Taskmaster depiction of me! :D

:banana::banana::banana:

option A) take all 4 books, all are complete and intact

very nice book besides spine split up half of book starting at the bottom

_579_zps99a0d4dd.jpg

Has a little staple rust

_5710_zpsf5e8bb09.jpg

_578_zps7f20fa2a.jpg

spine split from top of book too top staple

IMG_20140831_0002_zps64d4cf59.jpg

Option B) Thor 165, ide call it a 3.0-3.5

IMG_20140831_0001_zps4502a4cd.jpg

Dont worry I will say the day! By humping!

I mean bumping.

Edited by Kystix

Does anyone have a suggestion as what I should do about comicalgems' offer about $150 towards his sales thread - which I though was amazingly generous - and a heroclix?

I hear a lot of "well, isn't this a mystery box?"

I've already made the decision anyway but I see a lot of :blahblah: about it so have at it? What should we do? What is "the best" decision? :popcorn:

I think the rule is a good one and you should enforce it going forward. That being said, this is a case of the least "mysterious" mystery box you can get. An established board member with a reputation and current practice of delivering excellent mystery boxes. So there's no reason to grind things to a halt and wind the clock back.

However, going forward, in the interest of not revisiting this, I wouldn't even allow comicalgem to offer a MB in the future. Just to keep you from getting a migraine.

And now if you would be so kind as to send me three pennies, I'd appreciate it. I tried to give you just my two cents worth but I appear to have given you a nickel's worth of good advice instead.

:)