• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So In Fact NOBODY Yet Has A Complete DC Collection - NOBODY !!!!!!

159 posts in this topic

Ian...wouldn't it be cheaper for you and the other lady to just get married... seems logical to me...

You'll have more D.C.s then you know what to do with and you will both be equal in the record books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Not possible. foreheadslap.gif

Ian...wouldn't it be cheaper for you and the other lady to just get married... seems logical to me...

You'll have more D.C.s then you know what to do with and you will both be equal in the record books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Not possible. foreheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ian,

Thanks for the purchase and I hope you enjoy it. I've received your payment and will be getting it out tomorrow morning (after taking a few moments to say goodbye - I'll probably never own such a rare item again). Thanks for giving me a US address to ship to.

As to Narrative Illustration being an EC title: it does contain reprints from Picture Stories of the Bible comic series. But it doesn't carry the EC logo anywhere in it, and the bulk of the book is material reprinted from a printing-industry magazine article. It was originally a giveaway, bundled into a regional newspaper edition.

Technically, due to the 1942 date, one can argue that it is an All-American issue; when exactly did the 'EC' brand start appearing?

Anyway, out of the four or five known copies, there are different stories from the Pictures of the Bible series - the one in the Overstreet Guide mentions the Story of Saul; the one here contains the Story of Ruth, which apparently has also appeared in another known copy. This 'variation' would seem to make these issues even rarer.

I found a super rare (only three known copies) Golden Age DC that no-one realised was a DC....

"Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics" by M.C. Gaines, from 1942, and distributed by All American, which of course was part of DC, and also containing an otherwise unavailable segment of Picture Stories From The Bible, which of course started out also as a DC.

It is listed in Overstreet as only two known copies, but now I got the third copy.

And dear old Christine Farrell hasn't got THAT one, so her collection isn't complete after all.

Which means both she and I need one DC to complete our collections of EVERY DC ever actually released.

So NOBODY in the whole wide world has a complete set, despite those erroneous claims in Gemstones newsletter.

WHAT AN AMAZING TWIST OF FATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian, you are referring to an E.C. comic not a D.C. comic!

http://cgccomics.com/poplookup/searchres...&imageField.y=0

BTW, Narrative Illustration is a pamphlet reprint book as the interior was published previously in another book,

EC didn't exist in 1942. Since it reprints part of a book(Picture Storys from The Bible) that is listed in OS as being a National/All American publication,I'd have to call it a DC.Its as much a comic as Motion Picture Funnies or

many others that were distributed that way.

EC didn't exist in 1942. Since it reprints part of a book(Picture Storys from The Bible) that is listed in OS as being a National/All American publication,I'd have to call it a DC.Its as much a comic as Motion Picture Funnies or many others that were distributed that way.

The point you've all missed is that it CLEARLY says that it's AllAmerican in one of the scans I saw.

It is NOT an E.C.

E.C. began halfway through the Picture Stories From The Bible Series.

They then went back to being All American.

Picture Stories From American History started out as a DC but then became an E.C. when Gaines split with Donenfield.

But it is still considered a DC as well, as it started out as such, and was advertised in other DC comics at the time.

BTW, Narrative Illustration is a pamphlet reprint book as the interior was published previously in another book,

Complete utter bull.

As I already said, it was distributed by All American and clearly says so. M.C. Gaines worked at DC in 1942. E.C. did not yet exist.

PLEASE get your facts right.

Not to be provocative( yes, I used a dictionary on that word), here Ian,but what of the "day after " your quest is done.

What will be next?? Is the "hunt" over or is there another collecting obsession to keep you going. I for one would like to see you finish this quest successfully , and hope it will happen soon.

I may get every DC ever sold, but I will probably never complete all the promos. They're too rare in some cases to ever turn up.

And new DCs come out every week.

Then there are the RRPs. I STILL don't have the Batman 608.

It will never end.

Then you could downgrade to free up some of the more expensive books, I think you mentioned you have at least a couple pedigree and/or CGC books to raise/cover the funds spent on the NA26.

I've been upgrading. I will NEVER downgrade. Absolutely no way.

I found a super rare (only three known copies) Golden Age DC that no-one realised was a DC....

"Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics" by M.C. Gaines, from 1942, and distributed by All American, which of course was part of DC, and also containing an otherwise unavailable segment of Picture Stories From The Bible, which of course started out also as a DC.

It is listed in Overstreet as only two known copies, but now I got the third copy.

And dear old Christine Farrell hasn't got THAT one, so her collection isn't complete after all.

Which means both she and I need one DC to complete our collections of EVERY DC ever actually released.

So NOBODY in the whole wide world has a complete set, despite those erroneous claims in Gemstones newsletter.

WHAT AN AMAZING TWIST OF FATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think the book was a Whitman reprint, so it's really not a DC after all.

Actually, I think the book was a Whitman reprint, so it's really not a DC after all.

Ha ha very funny.

Actually as CGC are so blatantly in error in calling it an EC, they need to recall those two copies they erroneously slabbed, and put the information right at the top on the label.

Shame on those who thought it was an EC at CGC - you should know better !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha very funny.

Actually as CGC are so blatantly in error in calling it an EC, they need to recall those two copies they erroneously slabbed, and put the information right at the top on the label.

Shame on those who thought it was an EC at CGC - you should know better !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not really a DC either though, as it doesn't actually have "DC" on the cover and was distributed by a company that had yet to be taken over by National.......

tongue.gif

It's not really a DC either though, as it doesn't actually have "DC" on the cover and was distributed by a company that had yet to be taken over by National.......

It says All American.

It's every bit as much a DC as All Star Comics, Mutt And Jeff, The Fat And Slat Joke Book, Green Lantern, or obviously All American Comics.

i thought that the carter brothers, lane and gary had a complete dc collection up to the time they stopped collecting in 1992

anyone confirm this??

I spoke to Gary Carter. He said he was six comics short of the set, and then he sold the lot to a Japanese father and son collecting team. No one has ever traced this pair to this day.

Then you could downgrade to free up some of the more expensive books, I think you mentioned you have at least a couple pedigree and/or CGC books to raise/cover the funds spent on the NA26.

I've been upgrading. I will NEVER downgrade. Absolutely no way.

You know the old saying, sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take two steps forward.

makepoint.gif

Your failure to think outside the box to obtain the ONE and ONLY issue that has eluded you leads me to believe that you don't WANT to find the last DC to finish your collection. I think you're afraid of fulfillment. Otherwise, you would have come to terms with the 'extortionist' as you call him and you'd be on your merry way to shortening that promo list of yours.

The issue is available, price be damned! It's not like someone's asking you to pay $40,000 or $50,000 for an Action 1 or something. It's not like you can't raise the funds, it's not an impossibility. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Buy the damn thing already and turn the page!

Your failure to think outside the box to obtain the ONE and ONLY issue that has eluded you leads me to believe that you don't WANT to find the last DC to finish your collection. I think you're afraid of fulfillment. Otherwise, you would have come to terms with the 'extortionist' as you call him and you'd be on your merry way to shortening that promo list of yours.

Ian = Thanos? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif