• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for IAN

55 posts in this topic

Well, those were Ian's words, not mine.

That much was apparent... particularly in light of the proper punctuation.

You're slipping. You forgot to add a poke2.gif

yay.gif

I have decided to cut down on my emoticon usage. This way, people who KNOW me will know when I'm kidding, but the new people will flee in terror.

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Well now, my new policy puts me in a position more difficult, more uncomfortable, more awkward than that night you drank too many "drinks with umbrellas" and asked me to dress up like a Catholic schoolgirl. After all, how can I respond to a post like that without simply saying:

" acclaim.gif "?

(I am now shrugging in a fashion similar to that of that one emoticon that shrugs.)

I couldn't help myself. When you told me how your father could make you a dress, I just had to see it.

[#@$%!!!]! (I'm now making that first face in the upper left corner of the emoticon section.)

He shoots, he scores!!!!! acclaim.gif

..But there's a foul on the play... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think part of the problem is that the only available copy, also happens to be a high grade copy, so th expectation is already there that the combination of scarcity and grade should add up to some multiple of guide. I'm guessing raw dollars are a factor here as well, while many of us might pay $100 for a comic valued at $2, because $100 is ultimately not that much money, and we realize the difficulty in finding any copy let alone one at guide is next to impossible, it doesn't mean we'd be equally comfortable paying $10K for one valued at $200. If someone had a 2.0 copy of Adventure #26, they might have an easier time squeezing Ian for 10X guide - sometimes principle gives way to convenience.

Ian,

What is your minimum grade or restoration requirement for any given DC book? Do you draw the line on Fair and minus books that are falling apart or missing pages, etc. Do all your books have to be complete and unrestored? I guess the same question would apply to the other completionist.

As I have said many times, I love and welcome restored comics. All I care is that my collection looks nice. I buy in any grade and then upgrade when the right deal comes along.

I don't like missing pages, will never buy coverless unless it's to replace a tatty copy, but I'm aiming at the entire collection being complete with no pages missing.

I think that Ian's point is that the Superman/Bradman book's "Guide value" is wildly inaccurate and does not at all reflect the actual price that anyone would have to pay for a copy of that book.

Indeed.

STUPIDLY inaccurate.

I even told Tom Gordon about it lat year, and so he ever so kindly raised the 2003 Guide value of $3 to the much higher 2004 Guide value of $4.

Why is it so much more of a problem to pay 10x guide compared to 250x guide. I think that acquisitions of "greed" and "extortion" are just a tad bit uncalled for.

Your initials wouldn't be DTA would they............................

Whoooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it so much more of a problem to pay 10x guide compared to 250x guide. I think that acquisitions of "greed" and "extortion" are just a tad bit uncalled for.

Whoooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27_laughing.gif I think Ian just outed the dealer who is holding the NA #26 hostage. yay.gif

Whoooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27_laughing.gif I think Ian just outed the dealer who is holding the NA #26 hostage. yay.gif

Yeah, his initials were a bit of a giveaway. blush.gif27_laughing.gif

Whoooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope...T.L. Carlson (TLC...the chicks dig it grin.gif). Ian, I don't have to be the owner of this book to be sick of your constant ego-centric whinning. Why don't you just have mommy buy the book for you and end our pain.