• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - American Air Forces #1 (1944) - GRADE IS IN!

15 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying this one on eBay. I know the covers will flatten out with a press, but the bottom staple and water stain on the first page frighten me. Thanks.

af1_zps4b1a2518.jpg

af1back_zpse13662e1.jpg

photo1_zps11b7e1f5.jpg

photo2_zps73a568ee.jpg

Description:

American Air Forces #1

No. 1, Volume 1, 1st print, Flying Cadet Pub.(1944)

Golden Age War

Classic German war cover

Charles Quinlan art

Nice copy, solid overall.

Staples have rust, rear cover is loose at bottom staple, centerfold is secure.

Copy number two came back as 5.5 CR/OW pages!

3.0 IMHO! I couldn't give you an honest answer on the pressing question. I don't know if pressing water damaged books can achieve anything. Have you read through Joe Post's I love joey post thread?

Yes. He said he could get the rippling on the covers to come out, but was curious about further water damage. I e-mailed the seller and he said the only other damage to the book was the stain near the 'N' in "INVASION!". The price isn't terrible so if it can be pressed into a 6.0 or so, then I'll pull the trigger. But I'm thinking the rusty staples and loose back cover will not let that happen.

So in your opinion, what would the max be with a Joeypost press? 5.0?

I know in my opinion I think you'll max out at 4.0 to 4.5 depending on Joey, who works miracles by the way, so you never know!

So in your opinion, what would the max be with a Joeypost press? 5.0?

That's probably a question for Joeypost, I'm aware of his reputation for an almost supernatural ability to "improve" books, but the bleed from the rusty staple, the other small spots and stains, the tears at the lower staple, and probability that some evidence of creasing would remain, should put it short of 6.0 - but maybe not far short - 5.0 seems a quite reasonable target, and I wouldn't be completely surprised by a CGC 6.0, as, especially with mid-grade GA books, I'm never quite sure when they are easy on certain flaws and when they're not.

Okay, thanks. It seems like a pretty rare book in mid-grade. I made an offer on this copy, which was posted as a VG/F.

$_57.JPG

Without knowing the condition of the back cover I would say 5.0 as it sits. This copy is better visually than the other copy and the staining is not nearly as perceptible on this book.

If the second copy can be had for not much more than the cost of the first and a press, then it's the obvious way to go, as I don't think copy 1 is ever going to look that good.