• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformers #1

50 posts in this topic

So how does Transformers compare to Star Wars? Obviously Star Wars rules the merchandising world as a whole but what about the comics?

Well, Star Wars #1 did predate the movie by a month or two, but it's value reflects that marketing powerhouse.

But I'd say since Lucasfilm/Disney has said that all Expanded Universe is not cannon (except for a few things), how can the comics be held in such a high esteem? Nostalgia does do something for them. Of course, that is why I feel so highly about the Marvel Transformers series! :grin:

I just sold my copy for net $260. These have been gong on E-Bay for $300-310. That seems like a high value for this book. I don't think it's undervalued at all...

1st appearance of a billion dollar franchise for $300... I think it's on scale if not a little low.

Really...how much is the first appearance of Super Mario or Harry Potter in comics? The fact is, these are toys and the comics were glorified adverts for the toys. The comics mean far less than an actual Gen 1 MOMC toy to collectors...and the prices will always reflect this. The $300 price tag is the peak.

Super Mario and Harry Potter first appearance in mass media wasn't a comic book. Transformers was. People don't seem to grasp that aspect. And the whole comics were just advertising for the toys...it was Jim Shooter and Bob Budiansky who created the concepts, names, and origin of the entire mythos. Those were comic guys that Hasbro gave the reins to. Hasbro had nothing but the idea of transforming robots. I don't think the comics get enough credit or Transformers could have turned into Go-Bots.

Why isn't Star Wars 1 a $10,000 comic then? It came out before the movie. But of course it was based on (and adapted from) the movie, just like Transformers 1 was based on the toys.

Comic guys being the ones to originally develop the Transformers doesn't mean much either. There are substantial differences between the comic and the cartoon and certainly the live-action movies.

I still haven't seen any proof that the toys/advertisements for the toys didn't predate the comic.

This is a very interesting thread for me being a transformers collector. It seems the big dollars now in our hobby is with sealed g1 stuff - especially from the first few series and especially the first wave (Pre-rub toys with "TM" on the box instead of "R")

As a TF collector, if i had $300 to spend i could get the following:

1. A decent condition boxed G1 prime, Megatron, starscream, soundwave

2. Probavly 2 boxed g1 cars in ok condition

3. 5 loose complete g1 cars

4. A loose big base toy (scorponok, metroplex. trypticon - maybe not complete)

5. 3 loose complete headmasters

I could see the majority of collectors choosing any of the above over the comic.

On a personal note. To me these are considered the "first appearance of the transformers" - from my collection

10269348_10153045371239968_9026299667366005923_n_zpsfb42e55b.jpg

Prime, bluestreak, grimlock and ultra magnus

and

10487370_10153045371174968_7579232327591906324_n_zps7984f12c.jpg

Megatron and thundercracker

So Transformers 1 is a pretty important comic. In fact, even though the print run is infinitely greater, I'd argue more important than Turtles 1 and they came out the same year.

I was also created in 1984 along with the Turtles and the Transformers. I'm a big Transformers fan, but let's not get carried away here. A big reason TMNT 1 is regarded as "important" is that it really signified the start of the independent movement, showing that you didn't need to be backed by the Big 2 to "make it".

In short, both properties have made billions of dollars since their inception and are very successful, but when regarding importance to the world of comics, TMNT #1 FAR outweighs Transformers #1.

I do think it's cool that 30 years after their beginnings, both properties have major motion pictures for fans new and old to see. (thumbs u

So Transformers 1 is a pretty important comic. In fact, even though the print run is infinitely greater, I'd argue more important than Turtles 1 and they came out the same year.

I was also created in 1984 along with the Turtles and the Transformers. I'm a big Transformers fan, but let's not get carried away here. A big reason TMNT 1 is regarded as "important" is that it really signified the start of the independent movement, showing that you didn't need to be backed by the Big 2 to "make it".

In short, both properties have made billions of dollars since their inception and are very successful, but when regarding importance to the world of comics, TMNT #1 FAR outweighs Transformers #1.

I do think it's cool that 30 years after their beginnings, both properties have major motion pictures for fans new and old to see. (thumbs u

To my understanding TMNT #1 came out far, far ahead than the toy line and cartoons (I think about 2 yrs after). I think the creator made the comics first, then when it became very popular, they pitch the turtles to make the toys and then the cartoon......

During that those time, nobody would have thought that a concept of ninja turtles would be a big hit......

I do agree hat TMNT #1 is a FAR more important comics than Transformers #1. And this is coming from a Transformers fan

hm

Cerebus #1, coming 7 years before Turtles, is that start. Cerebus was followed by Elfquest, Grendel, Groo, Vortex, Albedo, American Flagg!, First Comics, Comico, Pacific, Eclipse, etc.

All of which had varying degrees of success, and none of which were backed by the Big 2. Turtles wasn't the start of the independent movement, not by a long shot. It was just its biggest success.

This is a very interesting thread for me being a transformers collector. It seems the big dollars now in our hobby is with sealed g1 stuff - especially from the first few series and especially the first wave (Pre-rub toys with "TM" on the box instead of "R")

I could see the majority of collectors choosing any of the above over the comic.

Fair points - just beware.

Generation 1 has more knock offs and bootlegs than any other toyline I have ever seen. To make matters worse you are contending with the following known issues.

Original Toys in Bootleg Boxes professionally worn to make them look 'old'

Bootleg Toys resealed with original packaging so you don't really know the item is bootleg unless you open it.

Bootleg Toys in Bootleg Boxes

Read up on your guides before you go shopping lest you get burned like I did on a purchase.

High End Transformers - Great Online Guide for Distinguishing Bootlegs

History of Transformers Knockoffs

I just sold my copy for net $260. These have been gong on E-Bay for $300-310. That seems like a high value for this book. I don't think it's undervalued at all...

1st appearance of a billion dollar franchise for $300... I think it's on scale if not a little low.

Really...how much is the first appearance of Super Mario or Harry Potter in comics? The fact is, these are toys and the comics were glorified adverts for the toys. The comics mean far less than an actual Gen 1 MOMC toy to collectors...and the prices will always reflect this. The $300 price tag is the peak.

Super Mario and Harry Potter first appearance in mass media wasn't a comic book. Transformers was. People don't seem to grasp that aspect. And the whole comics were just advertising for the toys...it was Jim Shooter and Bob Budiansky who created the concepts, names, and origin of the entire mythos. Those were comic guys that Hasbro gave the reins to. Hasbro had nothing but the idea of transforming robots. I don't think the comics get enough credit or Transformers could have turned into Go-Bots.

That`s true. Not many people know that. It`s one of the best secrets in comics.

I see Transformers #1 very undervalued. I would buy them raw all day for long-term speculation.

I wouldn`t though put Transformers #1 above the Gen 1 MOMC action figures.

Those Gen 1 MOMC figures is were most of the gold is.

1984 for pop culture was a great year. We had TMNT, Transformers, Terminator and Tetris debut.

Wow!

On a personal note. To me these are considered the "first appearance of the transformers" - from my collection

10269348_10153045371239968_9026299667366005923_n_zpsfb42e55b.jpg

Prime, bluestreak, grimlock and ultra magnus

and

10487370_10153045371174968_7579232327591906324_n_zps7984f12c.jpg

Megatron and thundercracker

Ah! Diaclone awesomeness!

Fair points - just beware.

Generation 1 has more knock offs and bootlegs than any other toyline I have ever seen. To make matters worse you are contending with the following known issues.

Original Toys in Bootleg Boxes professionally worn to make them look 'old'

Bootleg Toys resealed with original packaging so you don't really know the item is bootleg unless you open it.

Bootleg Toys in Bootleg Boxes

Read up on your guides before you go shopping lest you get burned like I did on a purchase.

High End Transformers - Great Online Guide for Distinguishing Bootlegs

History of Transformers Knockoffs

Good info. Thanks for the links Buzzetta.

(thumbs u

Every LCS has at least one copy of this book milling around in its back issue boxes. There's too much supply for this to ever become a huge earner.

Why isn't Star Wars 1 a $10,000 comic then? It came out before the movie. But of course it was based on (and adapted from) the movie, just like Transformers 1 was based on the toys.

Comic guys being the ones to originally develop the Transformers doesn't mean much either. There are substantial differences between the comic and the cartoon and certainly the live-action movies.

I still haven't seen any proof that the toys/advertisements for the toys didn't predate the comic.

Star Wars 1 isn't a high priced comic book because the print run for that comic is extremely high across all the 1977 printings and demand has been satisfied with many, many reprints of that material in TPBs and comics over the years. Star Wars 1 NM is around a $75-100 comic, a CGC 9.6 is a $250-300 comic, and a CGC 9.8 is $500+ which isn't too bad considering how many copies exist in high grade. And when you consider all the reprints of those original 6 issues...

hm

Cerebus #1, coming 7 years before Turtles, is that start. Cerebus was followed by Elfquest, Grendel, Groo, Vortex, Albedo, American Flagg!, First Comics, Comico, Pacific, Eclipse, etc.

All of which had varying degrees of success, and none of which were backed by the Big 2. Turtles wasn't the start of the independent movement, not by a long shot. It was just its biggest success.

I'm still going to say Transformers 1 is more important than Turtles 1. Like RMA pointed out Turtles 1 was not the start of the independent movement. It became a commercial success, which led to many creator owned comics popping up in the late 80's. (most of which were terrible)

Maybe we will see with the release of the new movie how popular the Turtles are, especially with Bay headrunning it, just like Transformers. My guess is Transformers > Turtles at the box office, but hey who knows. If Turtles doesn't catch on with this generation of kids you would have to worry that it could get lost in the fog, when the nostalgia wave hits them. I don't see Transformers having that problem.