• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grayson

32 posts in this topic

I wasn't all that impressed. It seemed like a spy book from the pages of SHIELD or something. The world building was good though and they were able to tell a compelling story without getting bogged down.

My big gripe might just be how much I enjoyed as Batman not all that long ago. This seems like an odd step sideways or in the wrong direction for some reason.

It was my shops #1 selling title yesterday.

Fans love it.

Sheep.

Girls like .

Take that for what its worth.

Unmm... :fear:

My LCS owner has said on multiple occasions that there are girls who come in and buy only Nightwing or Grayson books.

So, Girls like .

Take that for what its worth.

Just finished it and it was ok. Not sure if it'll last though. They tease things but I felt like they established things poorly for a 1st issue. Its written as if you know the whole Grayson / Nightwing history. I know pre52, not post. As such, it went over my head. They needed to establish why he was doing what he was doing but not once it was mentioned. Huntress is black now (don't know why that's the new thing to do with 3rd rate characters but...). Don't know why Midnighter is in this. The pieces are thrown together without building a concrete foundation.

Series like this, I honestly don't understand why you WOULDN'T trade wait. That way you can read a whole arc in one go - plus you'll have a solid base of reviews to decide whether it's any good or not.

Let's be honest - nobody is going to make any money off it. I really don't see the point in buying floppies. But actually, apart from one or two titles, I don't buy floppies at all these days, so perhaps this is a more general rant...

Just finished it and it was ok. Not sure if it'll last though. They tease things but I felt like they established things poorly for a 1st issue. Its written as if you know the whole Grayson / Nightwing history. I know pre52, not post. As such, it went over my head. They needed to establish why he was doing what he was doing but not once it was mentioned. Huntress is black now (don't know why that's the new thing to do with 3rd rate characters but...). Don't know why Midnighter is in this. The pieces are thrown together without building a concrete foundation.

This does not sound like a good book to jump into the new 52 with from what you are saying.

Was there not a synopsis page at the front of the book? Seems like most books these days have one to get the reader up to speed. I know Marvel is doing that in most of their books.

This does not sound like a good book to jump into the new 52 with from what you are saying.

Was there not a synopsis page at the front of the book? Seems like most books these days have one to get the reader up to speed. I know Marvel is doing that in most of their books.

No recap page. There was like a 4 panel page with something along the lines of "I was a gymnast, then the boy wonder, then Nightwing, then I died." Nothing outside of that to fill you in.

I don't think the black chick was supposed to be Huntress- I think she just shared the same civilian name.

Either way, if you picked up a first issue, would you even think about reading a synopsis?

I usually pick up the first issue of a series but then wait for the trade unless I'm really hooked and can't wait the 6 months - 1 year of the trade release.

There was no synopsis of went on previously to this issue. That would have helped this book. If you don't do that, at least mention it within this issue - especially a new #1 for the floundering New52. Unless you were reading NIGHTWING & (perhaps, not sure as I heard but didn't read) FOREVER EVIL, you won't know what's going on. The writers / editors failed to do that.

With regard to this book, it starts by dropping you right in the middle of the action like most action / spy shows & films i.e. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, ALIAS, CHUCK, etc. That's fine. The difference is that they finish that mission and then update people on what's going on. This comic did a 1/2 a-s-s job of doing that.

You know what they're doing but you don't know why the organization(SPYRAL) is doing this, what Spyral is about, why Nightwing joined that organization, why Midnighter was in this issue for 2min, etc. It was just pieces thrown together in not the most elegant way.

Other spy comics / TV shows / Films have done a better job of informing the audience what the comics / TV show / Film is about without any type of handholding. This comic failed in that regard.

I can't get past the cover. Does D ick Grayson actually use a gun in this title? If so, that's highly disappointing.

Well he uses a gun but not in the way people normally would. They establish that early in the issue. Whether he will or won't later in the series remains to be seen.