• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many graded comic collectors also collect graded toys on here

61 posts in this topic

Complex shilling with a fake prior sale to establish "value" in the marketplace. Start reading at page 7 with the bidding activity history outlined on page 8.

Complex shilling with a fake prior sale to establish "value" in the marketplace. Start reading at page 7 with the bidding activity history outlined on page 8.

Aha. thanks.

this thread sucks without pics.

Who's got toys or toy OA to share?

Here's the cardback art for the Fistful of Aliens line. Note the size relative to the chair.

FOA.jpg

as published

FOAfront.jpg

I've been into CGC collecting, but never cared to for toys.

I'm as anal on toy condition as comics, but I just don't want to venture down that path.

9.8s of comics seem infinitely more attainable than some high grade AFA toys.

Patrick

I've been into CGC collecting, but never cared to for toys.

I'm as anal on toy condition as comics, but I just don't want to venture down that path.

9.8s of comics seem infinitely more attainable than some high grade AFA toys.

Patrick

Honestly for toys I do not care about the grades of toys as much as comics as long as they are not trashed. I like AFA more for authentication of certain toys that have knock-offs. I collect mostly transformers which have a lot of knockoffs (although I do my homework and know most of the subtle differences between original and knockoff its an additional level of authentication). AFA is also pretty good at detecting tampering with boxes and confirming factory sealed items.

Didn't AFA get fooled rather embarrassingly by some guy in England remanufacturing factory Star Wars card backs and bubbles and passing them off as legit? AFA couldn't detect it and they had a large mess on their hands. Too many bootleg, counterfeit toys out there for me to get too involved with graded toys.

Seems like comics and video games are harder to tamper with.

Didn't AFA get fooled rather embarrassingly by some guy in England remanufacturing factory Star Wars card backs and bubbles and passing them off as legit? AFA couldn't detect it and they had a large mess on their hands. Too many bootleg, counterfeit toys out there for me to get too involved with graded toys.

Seems like comics and video games are harder to tamper with.

AFA was/is involved in the huge Star Wars figure counterfeiting problem. The problem as I understand it is, the counterfeiting started before AFA even came onto the scenes. They were actually using some of those counterfeit sealed figures as reference for whether or not other sealed figures were legitimate. Problem is, if this counterfeit sealed figure scam has been going on for years, there just isn't anyway to ever really know.

I'm pretty sure I owned one of the counterfeit Snowtrooper sealed figures too. I sold my sealed Star Wars figures about 10 years ago when AFA first came onto the scenes, but I remember the shoddy bubble attachment specifically for the Snowtrooper. Once someone explained it looked like an iron was used to attach the bubble, it all made sense to me what was wrong with that sealed figure I use to own.

Would love to have some of my action figures from the early 70's such as Planet of the Apes, Six Million Dollar Man and Batman, Superman not sure who produced them but they were cool back then.

My younger brother was into the Star Wars figures in the late 70's and tried to amass armies of storm troopers, etc... He wishes he would have held onto them as well! Great memories from my youth!

I got back into action figures in the late eighties to mid nineties when Kenner came out with Starting Lineup sports figures, still have many of those though never had any graded, but purchased Protech cases for them and if I remember correctly that company or brand used to have cases for Star Wars figures as well, think they are out of business now.

I'm trying to think what the grader notes would be on toys that I had as a child.

When I was very young, I had a Batman figure with a Batmobile. There was also a Robin with a motorbike, that never stayed upright.

Graders notes: Batman and Batmobile (Hasbro) 1978 - saliva residue coating head; decals misplaced; human tooth marks head and limbs; feline tooth marks head and limbs; general wear; arms removed and replaced

Grader notes: Steve Austin, Six-Million Dollar Man - arm skin removed; ocular tunnel lens broken; pants missing; "DAVID" written on figurine's back in permanent marker; human tooth marks head and limbs; saliva residue coating head

I have compiled a price guide for Star Wars vintage action figures graded by AFA. The guide includes all sales for AFA graded loose and MOC figures sold between June 2013 and June 2014.

The PRICE GUIDE includes all 96 Star Wars Vintage Action Figures including the elusive Yak Face. The guide DOES NOT include Bootlegs or Fakes, Vehicles, Play sets, Mini-rigs, or 12" figures.

The PRICE GUIDE is formatted in 2007 Microsoft Office Excel spreadsheets.

Check out this link:

Link

I get what you're saying, but expensive can make it elusive for everyone except those who can afford it.

eg Action 1 has eluded me even though there are regularly copies available.

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

Depending on your definition of toys, I collect (sealed/graded video games).

Mintcollector lets not get wrapped up in a games debate please! :)

3.....2.....1..... until the "they grade videogames" post or "they collect videogames" post or the "how can you play them sealed" post :insane: (even though the person posting collects toys they can't play with or comics that are "too nice" to read).

DSCN5346.JPG

B-b-b-but you can't even play them.

I have compiled a price guide for Star Wars vintage action figures graded by AFA. The guide includes all sales for AFA graded loose and MOC figures sold between June 2013 and June 2014.

The PRICE GUIDE includes all 96 Star Wars Vintage Action Figures including the elusive Yak Face. The guide DOES NOT include Bootlegs or Fakes, Vehicles, Play sets, Mini-rigs, or 12" figures.

The PRICE GUIDE is formatted in 2007 Microsoft Office Excel spreadsheets.

Check out this link:

Link

Cool, and thanks for the link. (thumbs u

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

Depending on your definition of toys, I collect (sealed/graded video games).

Mintcollector lets not get wrapped up in a games debate please! :)

3.....2.....1..... until the "they grade videogames" post or "they collect videogames" post or the "how can you play them sealed" post :insane: (even though the person posting collects toys they can't play with or comics that are "too nice" to read).

DSCN346.JPG

B-b-b-but you can't even play them.

:tonofbricks:

lol

I have a bunch of Gi Joe and Star Wars from the 70's and 80's MOC. Mostly 12 backs and the first few years of Gi Joe just need to get them graded sometime. I have Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow to name a few. One of these days I'll get around to it :)

It's pretty expensive though, like $40 for most figures in those years if they are over $250 in value if you are a non-member. You save a couple bucks a figure I think if you pay for a membership which runs anywhere from $100-300 I think.

Excuse the necrobump, but a few things to point out. First @cousin_itt, finestcomics is my sister site, and alias on RS.

Secondly, regarding the fake AFA 90 21 Back Fett, I believe I brought it up as a warning in another thread, but that used a "Mark Poon" 21 Back Fett repro kit (cardback and blister) which he used to sell on RS. He also made a Vlix repro kit. They are both of a high quality, and if you don't know how to tell the differences, it wouldn't be a stretch to believe people will get duped into thinking they are real. Apart from the fake AFA 90 Fett, someone recently got taken to the tune of $3K when a repro Vlix kit with figure appeared on eBay.

Poon's most recent offering was a second generation Vlix reproduction figure - this time offering both a repro Glasslite and Kenner proto. They are both much better and closer to the originals. Despite sharp controversy, and people who still feel "those in the know" cannot possibly confuse his work with originals, there are countless of examples where people have been ripped off and have been taken on large sums of money.

The good news is that RS has recently banned reproductions from being sold on it's site, but that doesn't mean Poon won't try to push these on eBay. The most egregious situation of course is the AFA 90 fake which was posted on eBay, ensnared a buyer out in Winnipeg, and that person tried to dump it for $4K to a buddy of mine. Luckily, my friend had the presence of mind to contact me before doing the deal.

So in a nutshell, buyer beware.

And of course, if goes without saying that Mark Poon tends to gravitate to producing high quality knock-offs of all sorts of high end collectibles, and not just Star Wars toys. I have caught him doing this with one of a kind superhero themed items as well (a Spider-Man utility prop belt which when comparing the reproduction from the original from photos, it was near impossible to tell the difference).

The recent value surge of the 21 Back Fett has become a bigger concern, and as someone had requested earlier in this thread, I created a visual reference for his 21 Back Fett reproduction, compared with an original (see below). The Vlix is a little more difficult to identify and not marked, but it's also not as regularly seen or frequently traded/sold. If anyone ever has any questions, I'm available via PM, or if it's a concern regarding something being legit or not feel free to post in this group which I admin:

10458733_468601939945577_5443753412801692154_n1_zpsncv9m4zc.jpg

He's been in contact with me several times wanting to buy mine. If he messages me again, I'll tell him we'll start things off at his asking price on CBM ;)

Seriously though, he's a good guy, and my understanding was that he intended to donate part of it to charity.