• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanted: original comic art

15 posts in this topic

I hope this is okay to post here (I couldn't find anything against it)... I'm having zero luck finding any of my grails over the past few months. I thought I'd throw caution to the wind and put this out there. Maybe some of you could help! :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/WantList.asp?GCat=69484

cheers, and thanks!

Ponyboy

Hah you are a spiritual brother. I have the color guide to that V page and the prelim to that KJ page, and one of the Golden covers from that run of 'Tec covers. None are really for sale, (particularly the Golden) it's just a funny coinkeedink we like the same stuff. That is one heck of a great want list brother!

I've tried tracking down the Golden cover (to no avail). I've seen a few others on CAF. That was the first Batman comic I ever bought. I swear for years I thought Mike Mignola drew it. Shows what I know! ;)

Solid wants. Good luck on a Killing Joke page. If they ever do turn up, they go for BIG bucks (like the iconic page surely will at HA this August). I, too, would love to own some Jim Lee cards since I grew up collecting them (and they will also be made available at HA this august). :-)

^Oh I'm pretty sure I could never afford it. The most I've spent on any piece so far was my Infinity Gauntlet Perez page ($1500 US). I think my wife would have my head if I went over 2k for anything. And if she didn't, it would take days of serious convincing (It's an investment, honey!)

Still... one can hope...

;-)

^Ha! Thanks Garf. I think that might make matters worse to show her that.

Although, it's good to know I got my Infinity Gauntlet page for half price!

Ponyboy, I swear I just saw that BT Freeze cover this weekend somewhere. The art is in 2 pieces. Freeze's face is on one board, and the reflections are on another board. Try poking around on CAF. I can't remember if it was there, or on a dealer site. It's definitely out there.

-e.

I saw the Zeck/Zimelman Kraven Hardback cover when it originally sold back in the late 80's. It sold for $800. What was cool is that Zimelman had painted a really small Captain Marvel (Shazam) in the corner that was struck by the lightning bolt in the cover image.

I remember the person buying it and have been looking for him to re-surface, but think he's one of those collectors that isn't actively involved in the hobby any more.

I saw the Zeck/Zimelman Kraven Hardback cover when it originally sold back in the late 80's. It sold for $800. What was cool is that Zimelman had painted a really small Captain Marvel (Shazam) in the corner that was struck by the lightning bolt in the cover image.

I remember the person buying it and have been looking for him to re-surface, but think he's one of those collectors that isn't actively involved in the hobby any more.

Hey bro! Thanks for the info. I love hearing about the history of pieces. Maybe one of these days I'll get lucky and find it. "Black" Spider-Man was a staple of my youth, and KLH was one of the first comic novels I ever bought. It was pretty graphic (no pun intended) for my then 12-year old mind.

^Hey dude, honestly I don't know what that means! Haha... I read your response several times. I'm pretty new to the hobby, so some of the lingo escapes me.

This story was coloured using the process called Blue Line. The original Zeck/McLeod inked art was photocopied onto an acetate (shrunk down to standard comic size, rather than 11x17). Zimmelman then airbrushed the colour onto bainbridge board. When the sheet is added, which contains the blacks: voila, the finished page.

Example of this:

The finished product - http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=568611

Acetate sheet lifted to show the colour work - http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1144262

Wow irchooker, that is beautiful stuff! I had no idea that much went into it. And what a great page, too. I'm still unnerved by that moment in the graphic novel.