• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation misses

227 posts in this topic

Maybe I should clarify a little more; I was mostly referring to books that have already been out for a time, that, upon a re-read, seemed to contain something key (but didn't).

Pretty much all of the books being suggested here were books that peopel were grabbing off the rack when they came out (or pre-ordering) expecting that the books would take off. Certainly we could list those all day long. Tons of books from the '90s, and lots of books by Image now, are going to fall into that category. The Marvel Comics Presents/Coldblood and Scalped comics mentioned above were around a while before speculation started that they would be key for various reasons, but turned out not to be.

A lot of the Bronze reboots of the 90s generated books like this. The Morbius Fear series spiked big time, when the Spirits of Vengeance stuff was hot for a microsecond. Adjusted for inflation I am sure it went for way more in the 90's than today.

Artists first work books are also huge whiffs, especially "first work on ___________." Examples are Hulk 367, UxM 248 and NM 86. No one cares any more, but in the 80's and 90's those books would spike like crazy.

I don't remember NM 86 ever commanding huge prices (certainly compared to 87, which was always the one to have back then); unfortunate, because I thought it was going to be big, and still have a few copies of that.

But yeah, other artist books, especially Amzing Spider-man 298, were huge. I think that was bigger than 300 for a while.

I remember #86 being big for a while for the Cable "cameo".

Maybe I should clarify a little more; I was mostly referring to books that have already been out for a time, that, upon a re-read, seemed to contain something key (but didn't).

Pretty much all of the books being suggested here were books that peopel were grabbing off the rack when they came out (or pre-ordering) expecting that the books would take off. Certainly we could list those all day long. Tons of books from the '90s, and lots of books by Image now, are going to fall into that category. The Marvel Comics Presents/Coldblood and Scalped comics mentioned above were around a while before speculation started that they would be key for various reasons, but turned out not to be.

A lot of the Bronze reboots of the 90s generated books like this. The Morbius Fear series spiked big time, when the Spirits of Vengeance stuff was hot for a microsecond. Adjusted for inflation I am sure it went for way more in the 90's than today.

Artists first work books are also huge whiffs, especially "first work on ___________." Examples are Hulk 367, UxM 248 and NM 86. No one cares any more, but in the 80's and 90's those books would spike like crazy.

I don't remember NM 86 ever commanding huge prices (certainly compared to 87, which was always the one to have back then); unfortunate, because I thought it was going to be big, and still have a few copies of that.

But yeah, other artist books, especially Amzing Spider-man 298, were huge. I think that was bigger than 300 for a while.

would Uncanny XMen #201 fit?

1st Venom.

His arm.

Web of Spider-man #18 has a "regular clothing" arm that doesn't set off Spidey Sense.

Web of Spider-man #24 has a "black-costumed" arm that doesn't set of Spidey Sense.

Both of these were mentioned by Wizard "back in the day" (being the days that hundreds of thousands of readers saw the mention).

"Just an arm" shouldn't be worth anything... but check Man of Steel #17 and think again. hm

would Uncanny XMen #201 fit?

Great example. Although this book did pan out a bit, and the reason why people went crazy over it was accurate, it doesn't seem to fetch quite as much as it did at its height.

PREACHER 52(?)

Some people are trying to work this book up because it has a preview for 100 BULLETS in it. Does having a preview for a book no one cares about make the first book no one cares about worth more ???

I think some collectors/dealers are looking for any reason to make a PREACHER book a 'key' issue since there are only two (1 &13, and 13 is iffy) in the entire series.