• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation misses

227 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this already exists, since I'm new to the forum, but I was wondering if there was a (somewhat) comprehensive list or discussion of books that people have proposed were going to be sleeper picks but never panned out.

That is, even if the books got some attention and a price pop for a time, were ultimately revealed to not be as key as people thought they might be.

A recent example might be Scalped 43. An older one might be Superman #66 (which Wizard had suggested back in the '90s might involve Doomsday's origin, but was unconnected).

What other books do you think belong in this category? (Let's avoid the obvious examples of books that had huge print runs because too many people thought in advance it was a can't-miss.)

Edited for Clarification: I'm mostly referring to books that have already been out for a time, that, upon a re-read, seemed to contain something key (but didn't) (e.g. Marvel Comics Presents/Coldblood and Scalped 43 were around a while before speculation started that they would be key for various reasons, but turned out not to be)

I'm not referring to books that people were grabbing off the rack when they came out (or pre-ordering) expecting that the books would take off. Certainly we could list those all day long. Tons of books from the '90s, and lots of books by Image now, are going to fall into that category.

Sex

It was really hyped up and never went anywhere.

Blackacre is another.

Understood, but that's been the case with a lot of new books, especially those from Image. I was thinking more along the lines of books that people thought featured the first appearance of a character that turned out not to be that character, or perhaps the first appearance of a character that people thought would take off but didn't.

I'll give an example: I used to think that Marvel had a diamond in the rough with Solo, especially after 9/11. (Basically, he's a vigilante that targets terrorists, whose motto is "While I live, terror dies.") But they never did anything with him.

Another example: it's my understanding that there was a brief run on the first appearance of Coldblood in Marvel Comics Presents, when it was rumored he would appear in one of the Iron Man movies. But obviously he hasn't so far.

Maybe I should clarify a little more; I was mostly referring to books that have already been out for a time, that, upon a re-read, seemed to contain something key (but didn't).

Pretty much all of the books being suggested here were books that peopel were grabbing off the rack when they came out (or pre-ordering) expecting that the books would take off. Certainly we could list those all day long. Tons of books from the '90s, and lots of books by Image now, are going to fall into that category. The Marvel Comics Presents/Coldblood and Scalped comics mentioned above were around a while before speculation started that they would be key for various reasons, but turned out not to be.

Maybe I should clarify a little more; I was mostly referring to books that have already been out for a time, that, upon a re-read, seemed to contain something key (but didn't).

Pretty much all of the books being suggested here were books that peopel were grabbing off the rack when they came out (or pre-ordering) expecting that the books would take off. Certainly we could list those all day long. Tons of books from the '90s, and lots of books by Image now, are going to fall into that category. The Marvel Comics Presents/Coldblood and Scalped comics mentioned above were around a while before speculation started that they would be key for various reasons, but turned out not to be.

A lot of the Bronze reboots of the 90s generated books like this. The Morbius Fear series spiked big time, when the Spirits of Vengeance stuff was hot for a microsecond. Adjusted for inflation I am sure it went for way more in the 90's than today.

Artists first work books are also huge whiffs, especially "first work on ___________." Examples are Hulk 367, UxM 248 and NM 86. No one cares any more, but in the 80's and 90's those books would spike like crazy.

Wolverine Origins 10 - 1st Daken (regular cover)

New X-Men 128 - 1st Fantomex

Amazing Spider-Man 289 - Ned Leeds really wasn't the Hobgoblin

Take your pick of any 5 issues where Steve Rogers quits as Captain America

Superman # 204 had me hanging my head for quite a while. Dazzler #1 and Moon Knight #1 first and early direct editions got me a little. Starslayer #1 from Pacific. The Ultimates although they did okay early on. Ex Machina #1 But I think people just missed the boat on that one. Lots of stuff from the 90s but I'm still a fan

A lot of the Bronze reboots of the 90s generated books like this. The Morbius Fear series spiked big time, when the Spirits of Vengeance stuff was hot for a microsecond. Adjusted for inflation I am sure it went for way more in the 90's than today.

Artists first work books are also huge whiffs, especially "first work on ___________." Examples are Hulk 367, UxM 248 and NM 86. No one cares any more, but in the 80's and 90's those books would spike like crazy.

Agree with all and especially the artist thing. In fact, artist used to drive values a lot more than writers. Guys like Kirby, Miller, and Art Adams name on a book meant bucks most of the time. Now writers seem at least AS important and in many cases, more so imo.

I never finished Ex Machina.

Everyone I've talked to hates the ending, so I'm scared to, haha.

You gotta finish it! :baiting:

I liked the ending. I'm still holding Ex Machina #1s for a rainy day.

I don't remember NM 86 ever commanding huge prices (certainly compared to 87, which was always the one to have back then); unfortunate, because I thought it was going to be big, and still have a few copies of that.

But yeah, other artist books, especially Amzing Spider-man 298, were huge. I think that was bigger than 300 for a while.

And I'll add to that American Vampire # 1.

Bought 20 copies of that when Snyder started to get buzz on Batman. Add in the Stephen King-written back-up story & you have...

Nothing.

And I'll add to that American Vampire # 1.

Bought 20 copies of that when Snyder started to get buzz on Batman. Add in the Stephen King-written back-up story & you have...

Nothing.

That may change one day...

And, yes, I am going to have to finish Ex Machina one day...