• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resubbing a SS resto

53 posts in this topic

Here's some good news...

I sent in the restored Hulk 1 (which was previously a .5 SS Hulk 1) in to CGC to be graded.

It received a 1.5 restored grade AND RETAINED the SS label.

It retained the SS label because:

1) I sent in the original .5 SS label with scans of the before & after.

2) One of chat board members (who does pro resto) went out of his way to put in a word for me with Paul Litch to let him know I could be trusted on this comic.

Big thanks to that board member. It's nice to retain the SS.

I was hoping for a minimum 1.8 grade so I'm bummed about that, but at least I retained the SS designation.

I'll post a photo when I get the comic in hand.

I also sent 1 of the other two Hulk 1s in for grading that I posted at the start of this thread, but I don't know the grade on that one yet. I fear it'll probably be a 1.5 too.

Congrats on getting the grade bump you hoped for. I'm a little confused on the retention of the SS designation. It is clear that you cracked the book yourself, basically voiding the yellow label with no witness. Chain of custody is key for the integrity of the SS label, so while it's great that a boardie would vouch for you on this it would seem you got a pass for violating a solid rule of the SS program. You got this pass publicly after announcing this move on the company chat board on an uber key book. I can't say I feel good about that.

Congrats on getting the grade bump you hoped for. I'm a little confused on the retention of the SS designation. It is clear that you cracked the book yourself, basically voiding the yellow label with no witness. Chain of custody is key for the integrity of the SS label, so while it's great that a boardie would vouch for you on this it would seem you got a pass for violating a solid rule of the SS program. You got this pass publicly after announcing this move on the company chat board on an uber key book. I can't say I feel good about that.

I do not want to pile on but I agree with the this as well, it breaks a very hard rule CGC has which has cost a lot of people a lot of money and headaches. If CGC is willing to blatantly bend the rules for one person why not for others? I would have liked to have had this free pass before I became a forum member and learned a very hard lesson about cracking open a SS book.

I am happy you got to keep the SS designation just a little sour on the reason. :pullhair:

Todd has been a resto client of ours for a long time,I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

Paul said to have Todd send him everything he had, and he would take a look.

So I guess under the right circumstances CGC will retain a SS if all the criteria are met. Which to me is a good thing.

And I imagine now Paul regrets letting himself be talked into it by me.

No good deed and all that.

doh!

Todd has been a client for a long time,I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

So I guess under the right circumstances CGC will retain a SS if all the criteria are met. Which to me is a good thing.

If he doesn't mind anyone with before and after scans of a cracked SS resubbing for a yellow label, and what that'll do for the integrity of the program he has nothing to worry about.

Todd has been a client for a long time,I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

If he doesn't mind anyone with before and after scans of a cracked SS resubbing for a yellow label, and what that'll do for the integrity of the program he has nothing to worry about.

I suppose it has as more to do with me going to bat for todd, as well as his before scans.

I was just trying to do what I felt was right, with what I saw in front of me.

Todd has been a resto client of ours for a long time,I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

No good deed and all that.

doh!

This wasn't a good deed it was a friend persuading another friend to bend the rules "just this once" due to a mistake. There are many trustworthy people who make mistakes and pay for it, this should have been one of those times.

edit:

This is also one of those time where someone should have told him not to post what he posted. This by no means should have been done in the first place, but you also don't let other people know about.

I suppose it has as more to do with me going to bat for todd, as well as his before scans.

I was just trying to do what I felt was right, with what I saw in front of me.

I get wanting to help a client, but this violated the rule that leveled the playing field for everyone in a very simple way: no unwitnessed signatures get a yellow label and no unwitnessed cracked yellow labels get back into yellow. This harms the integrity of the yellow label.

Fair enough, I admit, I am ignorant on the entire SS program, and it's protocols because I never follow it. Not that I don't like them, I just never followed any of it.

At the time, I just saw this thread and called Paul not knowing I was violating anything.

Thought I was doing a good thing because it was so clear what happened, was an honest mistake.

That's on me, and I apologize for overstepping any standard protocols.

Fair enough, I admit, I am ignorant on the entire SS program, and it's protocols because I never follow it. Not that I don't like them, I just never followed any of it.

At the time, I just saw this thread and called Paul not knowing I was violating anything.

Thought I was doing a good thing because it was so clear what happened, was an honest mistake.

It is on you, but it's also on the folks at CGC who are up on the rules and approved it anyway.

TBH it is not you that needs to provide the apology or explanation it is CGC.

I can speak from experience about the heartbreak from not knowing the rules and cracking a SS slab (for another signature) then the horror of taking it to the CGC booth. No amount of argueing, showing them the old label, even trying to persuade them to walk back to the booth and have the artist verify the signature would have kept the SS. It was a very hard and expensive lesson so I am both jealous and angry when exceptions are made for other people with better friends.

To be clear, Todd and I are not "friends", we have never really spoken outside of work being done over the past several years. We get along, and I like him and all that.

So this was not about me getting my buddies "goof" fixed.

I saw this thread and vouched for him. I would not do the same for just anybody, even if I saw definitive proof.

Anyhow, not much more I can say then I already have.

To be clear, Todd and I are not "friends", we have never really spoken outside of work being done over the past several years. We get along, and I like him and all that.

But this was not about me getting my buddies "goof" fixed.

I saw this thread and vouched for him.

Artists can't vouch for their own signatures in this program if CGC doesn't witness them firsthand. I'm having trouble with your vouching trumping that.

Artists can't vouch for their own signatures in this program if CGC doesn't witness them firsthand. I'm having trouble with your vouching trumping that.

Then I suggest you call Litch, what else would you like me to say?

I was as honest as I could be.

I do not want to argue this but vouching for him to get the rules bent in his favor is the very same as "getting my buddies "goof" fixed.". I will not restate my previous disappointments but :facepalm:

TBH it is not you that needs to provide the apology or explanation it is CGC.

I can speak from experience about the heartbreak from not knowing the rules and cracking a SS slab (for another signature) then the horror of taking it to the CGC booth. No amount of argueing, showing them the old label, even trying to persuade them to walk back to the booth and have the artist verify the signature would have kept the SS. It was a very hard and expensive lesson so I am both jealous and angry when exceptions are made for other people with better friends.

And this is really the heart of the issue right here - while not the end all be all for everyone, there is a value associated with specific labels and such - and now there is admission that the so called "strict:" process is not always followed.

DougC and others in similar situations now have JUSTIFIED reason to be angry. No idea of the legality of it all - but since substantial value can be obtained (or retained) - with the correct "label" - and it is now shown that exceptions can be made.......

and to zeman - this is not on you - it is on CGC. Once you have what is supposed to be a "strict" set of rules - and exceptions start being made.... slippery slope

Not that this is a wrong thing at all - but whatever those criteria are, they need to be published and followed.

:rulez:

otherwise - why does this guaranteed system exist?