• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resubbing a SS resto

53 posts in this topic

These three Hulk 1s were all .5s. (Pretty much all I can afford anymore).

I cracked them and have brought them back from the dead. One might be a 1.5 now, one a 1.8, and one a 2.5.

Here's my question. The middle one was a .5 SS with Stan's signature. I kept the label. If I submit the label with the comic will they honor the SS designation when they grade it?

get-attachment-11aspx_zps92afac72.jpeg

Joe can crack SS. On those books it doesn't really matter. The sig won't hurt the grade.

Yeah, you're right. And I can keep the SS label for a future buyer.

As stated above if you resubmit the book now it will come back with a green label and you will probably loose money overall. I would not say this is a toxic book but cracking it out by yourself without understanding the SS rules cost money.

I would sell the book as is with the old label and hope for the best.

Joe can crack SS. On those books it doesn't really matter. The sig won't hurt the grade.

As stated above if you resubmit the book now it will come back with a green label and you will probably loose money overall. I would not say this is a toxic book but cracking it out by yourself without understanding the SS rules cost money.

They won't Green label that book. It would come back blue. You could request a Green label, but the grade would likely be exactly the same as the blue grade.

They won't Green label that book. It would come back blue. You could request a Green label, but the grade would likely be exactly the same as the blue grade.

Wouldn't it come back purple since it is restored?

I didn't see anything about resto, but if it were it would indeed be purple.

The initial post in this thread seems to imply resto, or why would three .5 copies go up in grade simply from being cracked out?

The initial post in this thread seems to imply resto, or why would three .5 copies go up in grade simply from being cracked out?

Good point, I guess. I operating under the assumption that this was CPR, and maybe a dry clean. But the title does say "resto," I get a D - for comprehension.

I assumed it would be Qualified since it's an unauthenticated signature.

Theoretically they only do "Qualified" for books that have one significant flaw (coupon cut out, unauthenticated signature, etc) but are otherwise fairly high grade. They grade the book as if the flaw was not there, then make it Qualified. Since these are lower grade, there is no additional penalty for having an unauthenticated signature so no need to give it a green label.

All 3 of these books have "extensive" resto.

They were all grotesquely ugly .5s when I got them so I didn't mind using my limited resto skills to bring them up to where you see them now. In my opinion, when a comic is a .5 it's more than ok to improve their presentation.

The middle copy (that has Stan's signature) was missing a bunch of pages and a few small pieces around the cover. So it was an incomplete copy. I happen to have a couple coverless copies of Hulk 1 so I married the pages into the comic and did some basic color touch to improve the appearance.

It is now a Complete copy and would surely get a bump in grade from .5 (maybe 1.5 or 1.8?).

My original post was simply asking if it could retain the SS designation if I sent the original .5 label into CGC when I resub it. The answer seems to be "no" unless the book has been cracked open and restored by one of the big resto names in the industry like Matt or Susan (or Joey? & MCP?)

Here's the before & after:

get-attachment-13aspx_zpsd5eb85ce.jpeg

get-attachment-14aspx_zps3fc5bca4.jpeg

Here's the same comic after resto and married pages.

get-attachment-12aspx_zps6ef73093.jpeg

This book totally confuses me. It should be green label because it is missing story and is incomplete, it has had light professional restoration, and is a signature series book. Shouldn't there be a rainbow on this label? Wow.

This book totally confuses me. It should be green label because it is missing story and is incomplete, it has had light professional restoration, and is a signature series book. Shouldn't there be a rainbow on this label? Wow.

Mayor006, the Yellow .5 SS label that I show here was BEFORE I RESTORED IT.

Now the comic is 100% complete. It would get a purple label right now, hopefully in the 1.5 - 1.8 range.

It has not had "light" resto like you say, it has had "extensive" resto since I added pieces, color touched, and married pages into it.

Purple label all the way.

I was just hoping I could still get the SS designation, but I have found thru this thread that I can't.