• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 9

136 posts in this topic

I knew that MM was a 3.5 or a 4.0 I was just afraid it would get the GA bounce ugh and went 5.5 good grief

That's quite a bounce! The GA bump does seem to be real at times, but not that much lol - I hope :eek:

One :banana:

One meh

Do tell. :popcorn:

7.0 - I guess I should have checked the census - but it's not always up to date, and I would have had to coin flip between a tough 6.0 or a soft 8.0.

So, I realize there are all kinds of tools out there to help one figure out a grade, but doesn't using the census to pick your grade take away the "skill" (or lack there-of in my case :sorry:) and intention of the contest? (shrug)

Yep, sure it does, to me at least. (As I recall, there was a big dustup about this during one of the past contests.)

I guess it wouldn't work on a book with lots of census copies though -- only for a book semi-obscure enough to just have a few.

One meh

7.0 - I guess I should have checked the census - but it's not always up to date, and I would have had to coin flip between a tough 6.0 or a soft 8.0.

So, I realize there are all kinds of tools out there to help one figure out a grade, but doesn't using the census to pick your grade take away the "skill" (or lack there-of in my case :sorry:) and intention of the contest? (shrug)

I believe its called cheating having an edge.

Here's the unofficial leaderboard after Round 9's scores added in:

1. zuckuss2003 64+8=72

2. canickus 58+10=68

2. genrlzod 58+10=68

2. TheGeneral 60+8=68

5. toro 56+10=66

6. AJD 50+10=60

6. Boboset 50+10=60

6. Chip Cataldo 50+10=60

6. marmat 50+10=60

10. NinjaSealed 54+4=58

10. paul747 54+4=58

12. bb8 48+8=56

12. stanley1883 52+4=56

12. thunsicker 48+8=56

12. Timmay 48+8=56

16. BlowUpTheMoon 50+4=54

One meh

Yep, sure it does, to me at least. (As I recall, there was a big dustup about this during one of the past contests.)

I guess it wouldn't work on a book with lots of census copies though -- only for a book semi-obscure enough to just have a few.

It seems pointless to do it as part of grading since you are really only cheating yourself. No one else is going to remember how you did two weeks from now.

One meh

I believe its called cheating having an edge.

The only way around this edge is to place the book online before they are sent in. Once graded the contest is over. Of course it would take months, but it's the only way to keep this option closed.

One meh

It seems pointless to do it as part of grading since you are really only cheating yourself. No one else is going to remember how you did two weeks from now.

+ a million. Really, cheating in a fun contest?

Man, that MMC 12 looked almost exactly like the Archie from earlier. I went with the miracle press job 5.5 and failed miserably. In hindsight, I shoulda went lower but it looks awfully good in the holder for a 3.5. I hit 8.0 on the other book. Mathematically eliminated...sigh.

I'm going to put up Round 10's books after sckao puts the Results thread up. This will be in the wee hours. Please, be sure to stop by tomorrow and take a look. :preach:

This will be the Final Round, ladies and gents, a round that you will not want to miss. (thumbs u

....imagine if you did miss it... hm

:gossip: Book #2 had only one universal copy in the census.

I graded the book 7.0, the census showed a 9.6 .

Wish I woulda looked at the census beforehand.

I checked the census after submitting my grades an saw the WOF was either an 8.0 or a 6.0. With those two busted corners, I would have thought the 6.0 more likely.

The Marvel Mystery I figured was either a 3.5 or a 'gift' 4.0. I gambled on the 4.0 and lost.

The World of Fantasy, yeah... it's a pretty book, but seemed like a lot of things going on there (spine scuff, spine ticks, heavy bend etc) for an 8.0. I said 7.5 but 7.0 wouldn't have shocked me either.

This was my quickest grading round yet...about 3 minutes...had the books at 3.5/4.0 and 7.5/8.0...have been under grading so just went with the 4/8 grades...let 'a face it...it's a coin flip at the end of the day...I'm pretty stoked...getting stronger...3-3-3-5 my last 4 books...the difference between a 3 and a 5 is coin-flip luck...hope I moved up...

Andy/Shin

Just a fabulous contest so far and greatly appreciated! Celebrated with family my mother-in-law's 85th birthday today...all good!

:headbang:

Jesus, the wheels came off and I fell apart towards the ends. Too much second guessing, too much time! I'll be back with a vengeance, next year watch out.

Now to try an salvage this, try to finish in the top 10.