• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is TTA #93 a key or semi key issue...or neither?

24 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I know this book is the first crossover appearance of the Silver Surfer since Fantastic Four, but is it a key or even a semi key?

It has a cool cover as well, but I was curious to hear the forum's thoughts on this book.

Thanks in advance.

It's a minor key at best...more of a book with a sought after or classic cover.

Thank you greatly. I have been thinking of getting one and occasionally see it referenced as a key, but I always questioned this.

Everyone has different opinions of what "key" means, which has been demonstrated every time a thread like this comes up.

For me, this is a semi-key or minor key. It's a book that fans have singled out both for the content (Silver Surfer appearance) and the cover (again, Silver Surfer). As a result, it is more highly sought after than other issues in the run (since Silver Surfer and some FF collectors want it as well as the usual Hulk and Namor fans), and therefore costs more than other issues in the run. For me that all adds up to a minor key.

I don't know what it is about the cover but I really don't like it that much.

I've never been a fan of the cover either, I've always thought the perspective on the Surfer's arm is weird. This is why I've never stepped up and paid the going rate for a 9.0-9.2 copy, which is what I aim for in the later TTAs. The book is just not worth it to me.

That cover is classic though. If you're a collector of either of these two characters this is such a great cover to have.

On high grade copies the Fire really pops on this one.

I can't for the life of me remember what the story is about which kind of tells you that storywise this is not a key.

300px-Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_93.jpg

I like Marie Severin's work because it's quirky. However, I have never found her work to be dramatic in the way I might find something by Kirby or Buscema dramatic.

Whenever we have polls on classic covers, the top selections sometimes contain covers that are not especially well composed or that do not have convincing anatomical rendering.

In these covers, many collectors are attracted to dramatic colouring even if the composition/rendering is lacking. In particular, monochromatic covers seem to attract great interest.

So I am not convinced that Severin's work is classic -- due to her "big foot" style -- but as she was in the unique position to colour her own work, I would credit the richness of her colour choices with providing a dramatic cover.

Whenever we have polls on classic covers, the top selections sometimes contain covers that are not especially well composed or that do not have convincing anatomical rendering.

That would be this cover in a nutshell.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have never understood the hype over this so so cover.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have never understood the hype over this so so cover.

I hate this cover. :acclaim: