• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick Your Favorite Comic Book Era

Pick Your favorite Comic Book Era  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your favorite Comic Book Era

35 posts in this topic

You can only choose one. So pick the comic book era that you feel more comfortable reading or collecting at the present time. Like myself, I'm sure that most forum members enjoy reading books from all eras, but please choose a favorite.

This is an interesting poll. I imagine that most people will choose the era that they grew up in, or "cut their teeth on" when first getting into comics. It would be interesting to see if anyone had a preference for an era that was NOT the era they grew up in, as in general I think that a majority of us will be choosing somewhat based on our age. During the 70s I was between 7 and 17 so I remember that decade fondly as that is when I discovered comics. Therefore the Bronze books have alot more meaning to me.

This is an interesting poll. I imagine that most people will choose the era that they grew up in, or "cut their teeth on" when first getting into comics. It would be interesting to see if anyone had a preference for an era that was NOT the era they grew up in, as in general I think that a majority of us will be choosing somewhat based on our age. During the 70s I was between 7 and 17 so I remember that decade fondly as that is when I discovered comics. Therefore the Bronze books have alot more meaning to me.

I'm 33 years old, so I grew up reading mostly moderns. As I got into my 20's, I started reading bronze age material to get some background on the characters I grew to love. Then a couple of years ago I started collecting silver age books. However, at this exact moment, I'm mostly collecting golden age material (superhero and good girl art covers). I may go back to silver age in the near future, but for now I voted for golden age.

What I'm comfortable reading and what I'm comfortable collecting are completely different. I like to read Moderns, but prefer to collect Golden Age.

Good point. I probably fit into that same category. I guess I meant collecting.

I'm 33 years old, so I grew up reading mostly moderns. As I got into my 20's, I started reading bronze age material to get some background on the characters I grew to love. Then a couple of years ago I started collecting silver age books. However, at this exact moment, I'm mostly collecting golden age material (superhero and good girl art covers). I may go back to silver age in the near future, but for now I voted for golden age.

I strayed a little from my preferred age several times too. I went through an EC Comics phase, a Modern "Bad Girl" phase (don't laugh, I liked the art) and someday hope to afford a Golden Age collection, but I keep going back to those monster comics in the 70s as I have alot of memories that keep bringing me back to when I excitedly saw them in the drugstore for the first time smile.gif and just "had to have them".

It would be interesting to see if anyone had a preference for an era that was NOT the era they grew up in, as in general I think that a majority of us will be choosing somewhat based on our age. During the 70s I was between 7 and 17 so I remember that decade fondly as that is when I discovered comics. Therefore the Bronze books have alot more meaning to me.

I chose the Silver Age even though I was a child of the 70's. I also collect Bronze Age books, so it was a close call, but the Silver Age is where most of the characters I loved as a kid came from.

I was also lucky enough to recieve a collection of Silver Age books from an older relative in the 70's. So my first exposure to comic books was actually Stan & Steve's ASM. cloud9.gif

You're right it is interesting. I was born in 78, and bought a few comics in the early to mid-80's, but I was never really into collecting until the early 90's, and then again just recently. I like of course reading the modern stuff much more than say a silver age book, simply because of the way the English language has changed. And I do enjoy looking at my key issues from the 90's, even though every one in the world has a copy. They still have meaning to me, especially the keys I bought when I was a teenager, such as ASM 361.

However, I've been reading some Essential ASM and XM here lately, and have been getting more into FF than I have ever been. Suddenly, I find myself yearning for Silver Age books of these titles. And besides the books that I buy every month to read, the only collectible books I'll be buying in the future (aside from great minis like IC) will be SA books. thumbsup2.gif

I went through an EC Comics phase, a Modern "Bad Girl" phase (don't laugh, I liked the art) and someday hope to afford a Golden Age collection, but I keep going back to those monster comics in the 70s as I have alot of memories that keep bringing me back to when I excitedly saw them in the drugstore for the first time smile.gif and just "had to have them".

Don't worry, I still have my Cyberforce, Witchblade, Shi, Glory, Gen 13, etc. books from the 90's. And believe me, I didn't collect them for the stories. wink.gif

Grew up in the seventies, Gold and Atom Age are my favorites, thanks to all of the wonderful reprint material available when I was a kid. The 100 Pagers, the EC Classic Reprints, Nostalgia Press' "Horror Comics of the 1950's", Feiffer and the Thirties to the Seventies volumes... cloud9.gif

I also have to give an honorable mention to early SA Marvel, especially Spidey and the FF. Those full color paperbacks were a wonderful introduction to Lee, Ditko and Kirby.