• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears!

If you think that book is a 6.0/6.5, then you don't know how to grade comics properly. Sorry.

Every bit of a 9.0. Incredible copy.

This. It's every bit VF/NM. From the scans it looks incredible. It looks brand frikkin' new.

why would the owner want/need to have Fishler cut into his profit ?

That's not what I said. I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Metro tries to find a buyer for this (and act as that person's broker/agent/proxy/bankroll, so they can say that they were involved in this record sale).

That's not what I said. :screwy: I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Metro tries to find a buyer for this (so they can say that they were involved in this record sale).

Right! Pro bono. Uh-uh.

I can see the accolades on their website: "New World Record !!! ... just not ours. But we helped."

That's not what I said. :screwy: I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Metro tries to find a buyer for this (so they can say that they were involved in this record sale).

Right! Pro bono. Uh-uh.

What could they do at this point? Proxy bid for a fee or bid outright with expectations of a resale? Until I heard it was in an auction, yeah, delekkerste's words kind of rang true to me

Is there a chance eBay will run this similar to a live auction and extend the end time if someone bids within the last minute?

Probably not. They will more than likely want this over fast. Word of mouth is already building up even more traffic to their site now. By the time it ends, they'll want their bandwidth back…and whatever money they make off this sale.

I think it is a mistake to auction it off on eBay unless they have some serious prescreening and if eBay were to change the auction format. This is a book that would normally break the record price if it allowed the final two bidders to go head to head until one of them dropped in an auction in the style that Heritage or Metropolis run.

Both will most likely be bidding on the book.

I briefly stopped by metro booth today. Didn't have much time and did not shop anywhere else. They had two A1s and a D27 on display and were not overly impressed by the new A1 as compared to their record sale.

I love the fact that I got to actually read the pages from that book. What a throw back in time. Simply amazing

Strictly speaking, is it OK for CGC to post that from a copyright perspective?

Is it any different than posting a cover?

Is there a chance eBay will run this similar to a live auction and extend the end time if someone bids within the last minute?

Probably not. They will more than likely want this over fast. Word of mouth is already building up even more traffic to their site now. By the time it ends, they'll want their bandwidth back…and whatever money they make off this sale.

I think it is a mistake to auction it off on eBay unless they have some serious prescreening and if eBay were to change the auction format. This is a book that would normally break the record price if it allowed the final two bidders to go head to head until one of them dropped in an auction in the style that Heritage or Metropolis run.

Both will most likely be bidding on the book.

I briefly stopped by metro booth today. Didn't have much time and did not shop anywhere else. They had two A1s and a D27 on display and were not overly impressed by the new A1 as compared to their record sale.

I've seen lots of guesses to final price. I'm kind of curious to see what the start bid will be.

I love the fact that I got to actually read the pages from that book. What a throw back in time. Simply amazing

Yes

You can post internal images classified as "fair use" for example derivative art or commentary, but you can't post the entire contents that would make purchasing the original material unnecessary, in this case, some hypothetical reprint that DC might want to issue.

This is the first time I've seen the entire contents of Action 1 online for free (or any Marvel/DC comic for that matter). I'm sure you can find it on pirate sites though.

Just my conjecture; happy to be schooled if someone has more insight

Yes

You can post internal images classified as "fair use" for example derivative art or commentary, but you can't post the entire contents that would make purchasing the original material unnecessary, in this case, some hypothetical reprint that DC might want to issue.

This is the first time I've seen the entire contents of Action 1 online for free (or any Marvel/DC comic for that matter). I'm sure you can find it on pirate sites though.

Sounds good to me. (shrug)

I wonder if there is some legal loophole due to this being a vintage collectible or something and they can skirt the copyright issue (if one exists) by claiming that the entire book is being shown to highlight the condition of the book?

Yes

Sounds good to me. (shrug)

I wonder if there is some legal loophole due to this being a vintage collectible or something and they can skirt the copyright issue (if one exists) by claiming that the entire book is being shown to highlight the condition of the book?

I don't think that flies; for one thing they aren't selling the book. But technically, yes, I think posting a picture of every page in your eBay listing would be a violation (note there are many comics from defunct companies in the public domain). But eBay's eBay, and CGC is CGC - in the business of grading, not distributing content.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that people go to the site, right-click on the left-hand page and "save" on their computer, then right-click on the right-hand page, save, turn page and repeat, while it's available.

Right! Pro bono. Uh-uh.

What could they do at this point? Proxy bid for a fee or bid outright with expectations of a resale. Until I heard it was in an auction, yeah, delekkerste's words kind of rang true to me

It happens all the time in the fine art world. Big dealer represents a buyer at auction who wishes to remain anonymous and is the only name attached to a big sale.

Or, they could proxy bid, maybe put up some of the financing, claim credit for the outright purchase of the book themselves and all the publicity that entails before the book eventually ends up with the true buyer in a pre-arranged deal (cough, ASM #328 cover art, cough, cough).

Or, they could make a run at it themselves, in whole or as part of a consortium. They could easily take much/all of the credit while the financial backers or main buyer remain under the radar as desired.

Right! Pro bono. Uh-uh.

What could they do at this point? Proxy bid for a fee or bid outright with expectations of a resale. Until I heard it was in an auction, yeah, delekkerste's words kind of rang true to me

It happens all the time in the fine art world. Big dealer represents a buyer at auction who wishes to remain anonymous and is the only name attached to a big sale.

Or, they could proxy bid, maybe put up some of the financing, claim credit for the outright purchase of the book themselves and all the publicity that entails before the book eventually ends up with the true buyer in a pre-arranged deal (cough, ASM #328 cover art, cough, cough).

Or, they could make a run at it themselves, in whole or as part of a consortium. They could easily take much/all of the credit while the financial backers or main buyer remain under the radar as desired.

Aha! So when pooh-poohing the book to sfcityduck, that was a ploy to scare off competitive bidding...