• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Logic says when another collectible of the same issue, toy, and etc is found to exist of the same grade on rare collectibles the value of that collectible goes down

logic? it's a chance to own the nicest looking copy ever likely to be for sale (unless the dentist changes his mind); you can throw your logic out the window

Have you learned nothing from G.I. Joe 21? The sole 9.8 got devalued as soon as another 9.8 showed up. It's the EXACT same thing. Because comics.

lol

or the thread in Gold :whistle:

Good point Peter, just tried the article link (thumbs u

I think the press on this will continue to snowball, it's clear that the timing on this was carefully choreographed between owner, OSPG, CGC, and SDCC. Can't blame them, this will be a fascinating auction.

Says it was graded Friday. :shrug:

Certification Information

Certification #: 1134755001

Title: Action Comics

Issue: 1

Issue Date: 6/38

Issue Year: 1938

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Grade: 9.0

Page Quality: WHITE

Grade Date: 07/18/2014

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Jerry Siegel and Fred Guardineer story

Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily art

Joe Shuster cover and art

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Superman.

1st appearance of Lois Lane and Zatara.

A little disturbing if CGC is allowing manipulation of grading dates. hm

Why? Because all those people who bought a 8.5 copies in the last month are now angry because they totally would've waited if they knew that there was a 9.0 copy out there?

Why? Because all those people who bought a 8.5 copies in the last month are now angry because they totally would've waited if they knew that there was a 9.0 copy out there?

Why not just list the actual date it was graded, though?

Does anyone know why the dentite keeps his copy condition a secret???

Yes they do. If this is true then I actually would find that a bit disturbing as I agree with you. It opens up a few questions that may get uncomfortable. For one, what other times has the census been manipulated? What other books have had grading notes altered or changed?

In any case... just for you...

This was a fun show btw.

I've seen a couple of instances where the sale of a top of the census copy was sold at auction at HA only to have the census update with a new single highest copy after the fact with a grade date that existed before the sale. It could have just been coincidence but just maybe...

I'm going with the over on this copy. Definitely 3M plus. Imagine the other 5 or so bidders who bowed out on the first copy and regretted it. They might just pull the trigger and go all in on this copy. I don't think 10m is out of the question for what may very well be the best presenting copy.

Why not get 100 of us to chip in and go after this thing and just own shares of it in and sell it in 10 years if we could sell it for double. If we expect the market value to be at or around 3 million, that's only $30k per investor. I'd be in for $30k.

Why not just list the actual date it was graded, though?

Because the submitter didn't want to spill the beans before he was ready to publicize the existence of the book.

On the spectrum of shenanigans that go on in this hobby, an intentional delay of the grading date is so far over on the "harmless" side that I could really care less.

On the spectrum of shenanigans that go on in this hobby, an intentional delay of the grading date is so far over on the "harmless" side that I could really care less.

+1

Besides, it would only be applicable to a book with the significance of an AC1 9.0. Hardly believe a similar request for any other book would be accepted.

I think the owner took it into CGC last year as Gator hinted they looked at it prescreened it then put it in the vault till grading day -- that way the owner could go through all the hoops to sell it and advertise it correctly . When owner was ready he called CGC they graded it and this is were we are today

Regarding the grade -- I think there is no way CGC would over grade it the grade would be spot on for ethical reasons

:)

Edited

--------------

If I am correct what other crazy # books sit prescreened but not slabbed at CGC ?

I think the owner took it into CGC last year as Gator hinted they looked at it prescreened it then put it in the vault till grading day -- that way the owner could go through all the hoops to sell it and advertise it correctly . When owner was ready he called CGC they graded it and this is were we are today

Regarding the grade -- I think there is no way CGC would over grade it the grade would be spot on for ethical reasons

Edited

--------------

If I am correct what other crazy # books sit prescreened but not slabbed at CGC ?

According to a friend of the co- owner, the book was graded sometime last year (or in the last year). But to have it already slabbed in an ospg ad, as foolkiller stated, book had to of been "previously" graded. Maybe cgc or the owner will clarify at some point (shrug)

Edited

--------------

According to a friend of the co- owner, the book was graded sometime last year (or in the last year). But to have it already slabbed in an ospg ad, as foolkiller stated, book had to of been "previously" graded. Maybe cgc or the owner will clarify at some point (shrug)

So, this book belong to more than 1 person?

The Dentist?

From everything I've ever heard, his copy wouldn't be blue label nor would it be a 9.0.

Isn't this the confusion from a few years back between the Church copy and the one the Dentist owns?

Supposedly, Borock looked over the one the Dentist owns, and it was 9.2/9.4.

The Dentist owns the Church copy of action 1, it would be a blue label and it would grade 9.2/9.4...

Didn't someone color touch a bunch of Church books, back in the day, to make them even more perfect? Isn't that how the Church A1 slight resto rumor started?

Didn't someone color touch a bunch of Church books, back in the day, to make them even more perfect? Isn't that how the Church A1 slight resto rumor started?

John Snyder

Comic Connect/Metropolis wont be able to claim the world record now after this

This just in, Vinnie and Fish on suicide watch :news:

Classy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting involved in the purchase of this book (not necessarily for themselves, but on behalf of a client) to claim a piece of the action.

John Snyder

Didn't the dentist buy the EC Actions through another dealer aside from Mile High? Is this where peeps think the restoration may/may not have occurred?