• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me with a value estimation of this Comic collection

76 posts in this topic

The Mighty Thor (60 Issues) - 344

Luke Cage Power Man/Power Man Iron Fist (44 Issues) - 54, 57

Avengers (119 Issues) - 66, 67, 103, 132, 140, 143, 152, 153, 158-162, 164, 165, 171, 177, 181, 182, 187-191, 196-202, 257

Captain America (71 Issues) - 360

The Silver Surfer (41 Issues)- 34

X-Factor (55 Issues) - 5

Secret Wars Volume 1. 1-12 Complete #8

2001 a Space Odyssey 8

Captain Marvel 29

Marvel Spotlight 4

The Defenders 26

Action Comics #1 (1992 reprint)

These are some of your more sought-after books, as far as I know. Bolded books are (or just were) hot. I think these issues could get $200-$400 on eBay dependent on condition.

I think you should send him $300 for those issues!!

I'll take them at 3 cents a piece from you instead. That should be about $1 before shipping. How much does it cost you to ship to Canada?

I'll give it a run

A local dealer might offer you 30 cents per book

Prob less

I'm going 300

I was the first guesser. My estimate assumed a Hulk 1. If not a hulk 1, then...less than $100

Not worth anyone's time, money, or storage space. Donate!

I wouldn't say that. For instance, I wouldn't mind the Rom 1-75 as a reading set.

Enough to buy a 1300 book collection?

Granted my original statement was a bit harshly put...

Not worth anyone's time, money, or storage space. Donate!

I wouldn't say that. For instance, I wouldn't mind the Rom 1-75 as a reading set.

Enough to buy a 1300 book collection?

Granted my original statement was a bit harshly put...

Well no. Just the Roms

However, if he simply wants them all gone, then donation is probably the best way to go. Take the deduction.

I did that with a batch of action figures a few years ago. Selling them would have been a pain in the . They weren't worth very much so I donated them to a group that distributes them to kids around Christmas time. It made me feel good and I got a tax deduction.

Would anyone here actually pay what they are estimating? I honestly wouldn't go higher than $30 if they were hand delivered to my garage.

I'd give him $100 and meet him an hours drive from zipcode 11501.

I'll give it a run

Prob less

I'm going 300

I was the first guesser. My estimate assumed a Hulk 1. If not a hulk 1, then...less than $100

So you're saying a Hulk #1 (1962) adds two hundred to your offer ?

lol

Thanks everyone for the help.

I meant Minus one on those two issues, not 1. I'll have to change that when I put it up for auction, to avoid confusion.

As far as I'm getting from everyone in pms and notes here, I'm hearing about 1000, but only if I take the time to split them up and sell them in a few hundred lots. Otherwise, I'm looking at a few hundred.

I know the two secret wars sets, rom, and ka zar sets probably will next me 300 together. The rest of the miniseries will probably go another 200-300.

A dozen other issues you highlighted might bring me another 100-200.

All of that is minus fees and a bad day at auction which im sure ill have with 10% of the people in San Diego right now of course (I know about this because it hurts my pulps sales online too).

And then there is the 1100 pretty much worthless issues... lol.

To answer your questions, no it was not picked over long ago. This is everything I bought minus that action 1983 reprint. It's just really hard to ask an 8 year old to delay gratification for more then a week to buy something good. And if you have 20 bucks in your pocket, and your the equivalent of an adult insufficiently_thoughtful_person, then you don't go after the shiny stuff on the high wall. Even waiting for those two secret wars sets, which cost me about 20 bucks together way back when, was hard.

Thanks again for you help. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what it goes for, but it may be a few weeks to a few months.

You ultimately have to consider what your time is worth to you.

$1,000? Only if they're 9.6-9.8 slabs, which means more time and outlay.

I don't see how you're getting $300 from the Secret Wars, Rom, and Kazar sets, unless, again, they are extremely high grade (and if they're not bagged/boarded, the odds are very poor that they are.)

Condition is king for 1980-up.

A lot of people try to "max out" their dollars, only to find out that, for the time spent, they would have made more money working at McDonald's for minimum wage. So few people think of that, and only see $$. Economics isn't taught any more.

I'll give it a run

Prob less

I'm going 300

So you're saying a Hulk #1 (1962) adds two hundred to your offer ?

lol

Yes, because of how much time it would take me to sort/pick through/throw away the other comics, and because I assume the Hulk 1 wouldn't be in great condition.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I meant Minus one on those two issues, not 1. I'll have to change that when I put it up for auction, to avoid confusion.

As far as I'm getting from everyone in pms and notes here, I'm hearing about 1000, but only if I take the time to split them up and sell them in a few hundred lots. Otherwise, I'm looking at a few hundred.

I know the two secret wars sets, rom, and ka zar sets probably will next me 300 together. The rest of the miniseries will probably go another 200-300.

A dozen other issues you highlighted might bring me another 100-200.

All of that is minus fees and a bad day at auction which im sure ill have with 10% of the people in San Diego right now of course (I know about this because it hurts my pulps sales online too).

And then there is the 1100 pretty much worthless issues... lol.

To answer your questions, no it was not picked over long ago. This is everything I bought minus that action 1983 reprint. It's just really hard to ask an 8 year old to delay gratification for more then a week to buy something good. And if you have 20 bucks in your pocket, and your the equivalent of an adult insufficiently_thoughtful_person, then you don't go after the shiny stuff on the high wall. Even waiting for those two secret wars sets, which cost me about 20 bucks together way back when, was hard.

Thanks again for you help. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what it goes for, but it may be a few weeks to a few months.

You would have to work extremely hard to get your quoted values. Good luck.

:gossip: I don't think anyone publicly suggested close to $1,000. But :wishluck: for you.

It's funny...almost everyone said "$100-$300", and the guy then posts "well, I'm hearing about $1,000, and I'll get $300 for the Rom, Secret Wars, and Kazar sets, and $200-$300 for the minis, etc."

Why even bother posting well over a dozen estimates, if they are all going to be ignored?

meh

Things to keep in mind...the books have been in an attic for 20 years. Environmental conditions? I just bought someone's "attic inventory", and the pages were rough. Tanning on 90's books. :eek:

Then "about half are bagged and boarded"...moving unbagged comics around is the death knell for condition.

"I bought these when I was 8-10 years old"...8-10 year olds aren't known for having the greatest eye for condition, so likely an 8-10 year old "MINT!" is likely a VF/NM at best (and that's being generous for a "picky kid.")

So, consider all those factors, and then consider these examples:

Rom 1-75 + Annuals sets have been selling for between $70-$120 on eBay.

Kazar #1-34 sets have been selling for about $25.

Secret Wars 1-12 have been selling for about $65-$70. Secret Wars II :sick: is essentially a $10 set, at most.

And all these prices are for high grade(ish) VF/NM copies. Midgrades take a huge plummet in value.

So, assuming top of the market prices, that's about $225 total...at best, assuming absolute top prices and VF/NM or better condition.

Minus 10-13% for fees, and not including time and labor. Assuming absolute best circumstances.

The bad news is, comic books from the 80's and 90's just aren't worth anything. There are always exceptions...but they are the exceptions.

Disillusionment sucks, but it does lead to letting go of our illusions, and not having unrealistic expectations which ultimately do more harm to us when unmet.

I'm going to be different than everyone else.

Keep them. (Unless you have a reason that requires you to sell them). They have great memories for you. Once they are gone, you will never be able to get the originals back.

I think a lot of us wish we could have a few originals from our collections back regardless of their monetary value. I have maybe 25 books from when I was 10. I wish I had the first or second comics I ever read - I have since bought copies of them, however there is nothing like your originals.

Things to keep in mind...the books have been in an attic for 20 years. Environmental conditions? I just bought someone's "attic inventory", and the pages were rough. Tanning on 90's books. :eek:

Then "about half are bagged and boarded"...moving unbagged comics around is the death knell for condition.

"I bought these when I was 8-10 years old"...8-10 year olds aren't known for having the greatest eye for condition, so likely an 8-10 year old "MINT!" is likely a VF/NM at best (and that's being generous for a "picky kid.")

So, consider all those factors, and then consider these examples:

Rom 1-75 + Annuals sets have been selling for between $70-$120 on eBay.

Kazar #1-34 sets have been selling for about $25.

Secret Wars 1-12 have been selling for about $65-$70. Secret Wars II :sick: is essentially a $10 set, at most.

And all these prices are for high grade(ish) VF/NM copies. Midgrades take a huge plummet in value.

So, assuming top of the market prices, that's about $225 total...at best, assuming absolute top prices and VF/NM or better condition.

Minus 10-13% for fees, and not including time and labor. Assuming absolute best circumstances.

The bad news is, comic books from the 80's and 90's just aren't worth anything. There are always exceptions...but they are the exceptions.

Disillusionment sucks, but it does lead to letting go of our illusions, and not having unrealistic expectations which ultimately do more harm to us when unmet.

so your saying about $1000? got it.