• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orphan Is The New Black... The Orphan Black IDW Comic Thread!

102 posts in this topic

Disappointing.

Choppy writing, lousy art, just a poor execution to the brilliant television show.

Co-writer Jody Houser claims to extend scenes in this rehash of Season 1's episode one, but her efforts come off as slight as best.

Fawcett's co-creation is butchered, so she can also lay claim to the material. Any new readers won't know what's going on one scene to the next unless you have seen the series beforehand to remotely care for the characters. The moment when Sarah meets Beth Childs on the train tracks is totally muddled in this book and it's really what set the tone for the TV show.

All in all, this book lacks the magic of the show and people should check out the TV show as soon as possible.

This book's only purpose I guess is to get Tatiana to sign it at a convention, before she starts the next Star Wars project.

I'll check out #2, but at the moment I'm more interested in Spider-Gwen #2. lol

That looks great!

:applause:

Larry's the man.

I might jet over to Ralph's in Rochester to pick up a few of his versions sometime after we lose some snow. If I'm abitious I'll run down to Larry's.

I was a little cynical on my review of it yesterday. It wasn't an a terrible read. It just didn't have too many surprises for the fans. It felt like reading one of those old Star Wars tie-in funnybooks from the 80's that was scene for scene from the movie with rushed art. I'm hoping they can break away from the series a little bit to offer some new twists.

Anybody on here collect any other kind 'Orphan Black" collectibles?

I have two giant minty Season 2 subway posters from the UK featuring Alison & Cosima on one and Sarah & Rachel on the other. I would love Tatiana to sign them someday so I could frame them. :wishluck:

I had a chance to talk with Cat Staggs at a con today about this book. She let me know that we can expect this book to divert away from the TV show plot sooner than later, that by issue 3 we will be seeing new story lines.

I had a chance to talk with Cat Staggs at a con today about this book. She let me know that we can expect this book to divert away from the TV show plot sooner than later, that by issue 3 we will be seeing new story lines.
That's a relief.

I'm not not sure why they just didn't do one shots for the major characters before starting the series anyway. It would have made more sense.

I rather see bizarre stuff I haven't seen yet, like Helena becoming a high school substitute guidance councilor or a flash forward of Kira in 15 years. The more crazy the better.

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing a Registry Set for this series anyway, not because only the nine worthless covers that aren't worth grading, but the fact CGC probably won't even include them in separate slots if they have the same bar code numbers. They might just write "Alternate Cover" in the note part of the label. Seems like a waste of money to be a completist.

I'm just gonna probably grade the ones I like, so far the Nick Runge cover, the Phantom variant, the February Bleeding Cool (I have in 9.8) and maybe the Hot Topic, Comicspro or Four Color Grail. Once, some signed ones start getting realized, that's when I'm gonna start getting in the mood. :D

Diamond announces Orphan Black as the top selling comic book for February

Beating out Darth Vader #1, Spider-Gwen #1, Star Wars #2, Silk #1?

Looks like the rumors of Orphan Black #1 having a Loot Crate Exclusive is true.

http://comicsheatingup.net/2015/03/13/diamond-announces-orphan-black-as-the-top-selling-comic-book-for-february/

Just saw this.

That is crazy!

Must be one heck of a fan base.

The fans are rabid for anything Tatiana. Absolutely rabid!

I mean who buys a second season press kit for $2,100 (it's why I sold mine)?

Everybody is going "Spider-Gwen, Spider-Gwen, nobody sells a book better than Spider-Gwen" :whistle:

But, when Ms. Maslany starts signing SS books at coventions, BOOM goes the dynamite!

Watch completed auctions for "Orphan Black" in entertainment memorabilia start climbing in value little after April when the third season starts. Prices usually peak by July and go dormant by September (good time to buy). It's a kind of seasonal thing. lol

I looked all around for some Orphan Black at a convention this weekend and couldn't find any. Way under radar.

I know, right! I'm so desperate for some graded 9.8 Tatiana covers, I might submit my 9.8 February Bleeding Cool Mag, lol . There's a convention coming to Concord on the 29th, hoping to find a couple more variants in 9.8 or better, maybe a Phantom/Jetpack. :wishluck:

Absolutely "killing it" on Amazon with Orphan Black Phantom.

Amazon is the trusted marketplace for media tie in books.

If you're selling video game, movie, tv material on Ebay, you're losing 33% minimum.

Its much higher priced so for sellers its great.

The only problem I encounter is they just cant pack on comics well.

Absolutely "killing it" on Amazon with Orphan Black Phantom.

Amazon is the trusted marketplace for media tie in books.

If you're selling video game, movie, tv material on Ebay, you're losing 33% minimum.

Its much higher priced so for sellers its great.

The only problem I encounter is they just cant pack comics well.

+1

...or normal books as well. Sometimes I like to pick up the rare ARC to books and they come back to me in padded envelopes, totally damaged. :facepalm:

The book was bloody terrible. If they don't fix that nothing is going to help this book
That was pretty devestating all by itself. They basically, wrote the first episode, so people could catch up, but rushed it so fast with the writing and art, it left people not familiar with it confused and the actual fans bored. Yet there's hope coming with #2 as it focuses on Helena. If this continues like it is, I don't see this series lasting past 6 books. The weird part is the fans will still eventually snap these things up as Orphan hasn't touched Doctor Who's level of merchandising yet.

I have not had time to hit any shops to look for this book. I'll pick it up when I can and give it a read in spite of the bad reviews so far. I was hooked on this show from the start.