• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper and Modern Collecting Advice

13 posts in this topic

I have been a strictly Valiant collector since getting back into comics a few years ago. I am contemplating starting to collect some raw Copper, Modern and a couple Bronze aged "key" Marvel and DC books before I can no longer afford them. I am only looking for raw copies.

I have two questions I'm hoping some of you could help me with.

1) How do I determine the price on a raw book. I planned on using Ebay completed sales. Are there any other good methods? GPA only has slab prices correct?

2) I'm not a fan of Ebay grading. Are there some reputable sellers of raw books here that you would recommend? I plan on talking to my LCS and see if he has any of the books I need, but I would also like to buy from some of the board members here.

Boardies here generally give you more accurate grades than on Ebay, so that's a plus of buying here.

When it comes to buying and selling, I use a combination of OSPG and Ebay sales for raw. GPA is too difficult to adjust for raws, and it's really book dependent. The third component is always looking and checking out prices before you buy, so you know a solid deal when you find one, and you don't get taken for a ride on someone trying to set sales records (which we've all done).

Patience is your friend. If you can wait things out, I'd say 99% of the time, you'll get a deal. It's the immediacy of fufilling your desire that kills you on price.

What are some of the books you want prices on?

There are quite a few books I'm looking at. Mostly stuff I had as a kid that I sold off. Mostly x-men 1st appearances and what not.

I am more so looking for advice on how to determine the market prices on raw books. I don't want imply I'm asking anyone to do the work for me on actually providing me prices.

Boardies here generally give you more accurate grades than on Ebay, so that's a plus of buying here.

When it comes to buying and selling, I use a combination of OSPG and Ebay sales for raw. GPA is too difficult to adjust for raws, and it's really book dependent. The third component is always looking and checking out prices before you buy, so you know a solid deal when you find one, and you don't get taken for a ride on someone trying to set sales records (which we've all done).

Patience is your friend. If you can wait things out, I'd say 99% of the time, you'll get a deal. It's the immediacy of fufilling your desire that kills you on price.

Thanks Dr. Balls! I appreciate the advice.

ebay sold listing, OSPG, and comicspriceguide.com. I generally average out the price in the grade I'm looking for. It can some times be difficult if the book is very hot or experiencing a dramatic upward trend, then you just have to decide what your willing to spend and if you think it will hold the current inflated price. my 2c for what its worth.

Also, try using the WTB forum on this site.

It's a great way to get books from fellow Boardies, and could be a good way to find what you're looking for chunks at a time.

But there is a caveat, despite what you will hear, books sold on these boards are subject to the same raw misgrading you see on eBay. You probably increase your chances of getting it in the grade stated, but just because it is sold here doesn't mean you are guaranteed it is in the grade stated. (thumbs u

It's a great way to get books from fellow Boardies, and could be a good way to find what you're looking for chunks at a time.

But there is a caveat, despite what you will hear, books sold on these boards are subject to the same raw misgrading you see on eBay. You probably increase your chances of getting it in the grade stated, but just because it is sold here doesn't mean you are guaranteed it is in the grade stated. (thumbs u

This is absolutely true.

This is absolutely true.

That's true and will always be true. Grading just isn't an exact science.

Grading just isn't an exact science.

That's a funny statement to make on the CGC Boards.

I think it's important to try to learn how to grade on your own as best you can. That way when you are looking at a listing either here, on Ebay, at a con or at your LCS, you will feel more confident buying a book knowing that appears to be in the grade you desire.

I typically look at Ebay sales, OSPG and sales here on the boards to get a better idea of how much a book should cost in the grade I want.

Sometimes prices can be all over the board though, depending on the book. Current "hot" books are a good example. At that point you just have to decide how much you are comfortable spending and use your own best judgment and experience.