• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1's are growing on trees!

27 posts in this topic

I wonder how much the trimming will effect the price. The right edge looks to have quite a bit removed. Most definitely from a bound volume.

I don't know -- the spine looks too nice for it to be from a bound volume I would think. With the reglossed cover I would say this looks more like a 1980s overzealous resto job with all the fixins'.

I wonder how much the trimming will effect the price. The right edge looks to have quite a bit removed. Most definitely from a bound volume.

I don't know -- the spine looks too nice for it to be from a bound volume I would think. With the reglossed cover I would say this looks more like a 1980s overzealous resto job with all the fixins'.

Agreed. No tell tale signs of binding work (small holes at the spine) though a larger scan would confirm.

Yep, someon decided to pretty up his raw copy, and then maybe decided to go all in with some pro work too...

That is why I think my estimate is accurate. Not sure what is worse. Brittle or trimmed.

Trimmed may cut away 1% of the book itself -- and in this case, the remaining 99% would be remain, CR/OW.

Full on brittle could mean that 99% of the book is effected, possibly to a serious degree.

I vote for the attribute that could effect almost the entire book as the worse of the two.

That is why I think my estimate is accurate. Not sure what is worse. Brittle or trimmed.

For the same grade, I would rather have trimmed. At least what's left of the book is ok.

Trimmed may cut away 1% of the book itself -- and in this case, the remaining 99% would be remain, CR/OW.

Full on brittle could mean that 99% of the book is effected, possibly to a serious degree.

I vote for the attribute that could effect almost the entire book as the worse of the two.

Although "Brittle" can cover a wide range of problems. From most of the book being very fragile, to only some parts/pages/areas being brittle. I've read books that received the "Slightly brittle" designation with no problem at all.

I would still preferred a trimmed book to a brittle book, though.

I would rather have 1 edge trimmed than brittle. But I'd rather have brittle than 3 edges trimmed. (Unless it's so brittle that the pages are just falling apart) At least with brittle there are restorative processes you can do most of the time to strengthen the paper.

I've bought a few golden age books trimmed on 3 sides now that when they've arrived have literally looked like silver age books. And a golden age book the size of a SA book just looks weird.

I am looking for an Action 1 for my collection and a 6.5 Extensive would be in the grade range I'd be looking at. But 3 edges trimmed (unless we're talking micro-trimmed) might literally be the one defect that I wouldn't be able to deal with. It depends how much was trimmed off I guess.

I would rather have 1 edge trimmed than brittle. But I'd rather have brittle than 3 edges trimmed. (Unless it's so brittle that the pages are just falling apart) At least with brittle there are restorative processes you can do most of the time to strengthen the paper.

I've bought a few golden age books trimmed on 3 sides now that when they've arrived have literally looked like silver age books. And a golden age book the size of a SA book just looks weird.

I am looking for an Action 1 for my collection and a 6.5 Extensive would be in the grade range I'd be looking at. But 3 edges trimmed (unless we're talking micro-trimmed) might literally be the one defect that I wouldn't be able to deal with. It depends how much was trimmed off I guess.

That's an excellent point, particularly with a high-value book where the expense would be justified.