• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SweetComics guide to eBay auction survival.

35 posts in this topic

7) I am not a grader ect.... - Well guess what? Most of us aren't either but we at least try and give detailed information about the book. You probably don't want anything to do with this auction.

Of course, another solution is that if you're not a knowledgeable grader, maybe you should consider selling your comics to someone who is.

It's one thing on eBay to sell used tools, basic household items, bulk collections, etc. eBay is essentially a national garage sale, and it's appropriate to shop for those kind of items there. But collectibles of real value... whatever they are... take a certain level of expertise to deal in. People who never would have considred trying to sell $1,000 collector's items at a garage sale suddenly feel it's appropriate to palm them off on people via eBay. At least at a garage sale the buyer can actually inspect the item!

One of my employees is trying to put together some 1st edition book runs of a few of his favorite contemporary authors. But several times, from both eBay and Amazon, he keeps getting beat up bookclub copies instead, from people who swear they are original 1st editions. Sure you can return them, but what a hassle. And these people aren't trying intentionally to be crooks... they just don't know what they're doing, and shouldn't be dealing in these products at all.

Of course... if folks didn't keep buying from people who don't know what they're doing, none of this would be an issue in the first place.

I think you are over generalizing. Some of us who sell on ebay are fairly knowledgeable and have better inventory than many LCS, at least around where I live. As far as grading, maybe you should put your skills to the test in the next grading contest. Not saying I'm the best myself, but I'm always down for a friendly wager if you think you have what it takes.

I didn't say a knowledgeable seller had to have a LCS. If you have a large inventory, are selling a lot on eBay, and have invested enough years and research to know what you're doing, you're a professional dealer too, with or without the technical business license. (Lots of LCS owners haven't a clue how to grade, for that matter). There are eBay sellers, with or without brick and mortar establishments, who have paid their dues and learned their trade.

But you (general "you") wouldn't buy an expensive diamond from the guy down the street who otherwise doesn't deal in them regularly, why buy comics (at least valuable ones) from someone who "found" a few in his attic, but otherwise deals in auto parts? Again... if he's putting them at auction with a starting bid of $1, sure, take your chances. But if he's asking collector prices, and he's not an expert, I find that, as a professional, to be rather insulting.

Comics has become big business. You have to be licensed to sell stocks, licensed to set up a loan office, certified to appraise gemstones, and have to jump through a lot of hoops just to set up a pawn shop.

But anybody anywhere can call themselves a comics "expert", despite it being a very complex field requiring a significant set of skills. If it wasn't such a widespread and significant problem, CGC would never have existed.

[As for grading, I'm assuming you're talking about a grading contest here on the CGC boards. I probably wouldn't fare well, as I tend to grade a lot tighter (i.e. lower) than does CGC. Above FN we're probably pretty close, but below that, I find CGC to be way too generous. They probably hammer small stains more than I do, and I probably hammer spine rolls, Marvel chipping, writing, and dust shadows more than they do. That doesn't make one of us more right than the other. The most important key to professional grading is consistency. Once a buyer knows where you're coming from and that you are consistent... he can judge for himself whether ones grades/prices fall within his parameters].

This thread has potential.

lol

;) Potential probably averted.

Blazingcomics felt my post needed to be less general, and I have complied and added explanation to my comments to clarify my original intent.

Which I now realize is kind of a bummer re thread excitement. :(

Must come up with something far more controversial... hmmm... hm

(PS... I have never before employed three smilies in a single post. Do I get membership in some sort of club now?)

This one was a bit better than VG/NM so the seller listed it at VG+/NM. Smart move. That VG+ should really bring in top dollar.

w8ximo.jpg

While I appreciate the entertainment I've gotten from your examples, I'm not sure you really understood what I was saying, or perhaps I'm not understanding what you are saying. I wasn't saying that there never are grades given that clearly show the seller doesn't know what they are talking about, simply that in some cases - and in particular the case you specified - it may be nothing more than a simple typo.

My understanding of your point of the list is things that you immediately screen out (because you talk about "walking away" for these items). If this is the case, I was referring to how you might miss out on a good book because of a simple typo if you don't look any further. If your point is "look closely at these things before buying", then you are completely correct.

For me, I wouldn't even automatically discount those extreme examples that you gave in response. As a buyer who looks for VGish books, if I saw "VG+/NM", if it was priced as a NM, I'd automatically pass, but if the price was right for the lower grade, I'd look at the pictures to see what it looks like. Once again, "G" is right next to "F" on the keyboard, so "VG+/NM" could have really meant "VF+/NM", which while not "officially" a real grade, I've seen plenty of people use it as one. I might end up with a pretty good deal on that one.

7) I am not a grader ect.... - Well guess what? Most of us aren't either but we at least try and give detailed information about the book. You probably don't want anything to do with this auction.

Of course, another solution is that if you're not a knowledgeable grader, maybe you should consider selling your comics to someone who is.

It's one thing on eBay to sell used tools, basic household items, bulk collections, etc. eBay is essentially a national garage sale, and it's appropriate to shop for those kind of items there. But collectibles of real value... whatever they are... take a certain level of expertise to deal in. People who never would have considred trying to sell $1,000 collector's items at a garage sale suddenly feel it's appropriate to palm them off on people via eBay. At least at a garage sale the buyer can actually inspect the item!

One of my employees is trying to put together some 1st edition book runs of a few of his favorite contemporary authors. But several times, from both eBay and Amazon, he keeps getting beat up bookclub copies instead, from people who swear they are original 1st editions. Sure you can return them, but what a hassle. And these people aren't trying intentionally to be crooks... they just don't know what they're doing, and shouldn't be dealing in these products at all.

Of course... if folks didn't keep buying from people who don't know what they're doing, none of this would be an issue in the first place.

I think you are over generalizing. Some of us who sell on ebay are fairly knowledgeable and have better inventory than many LCS, at least around where I live. As far as grading, maybe you should put your skills to the test in the next grading contest. Not saying I'm the best myself, but I'm always down for a friendly wager if you think you have what it takes.

I didn't say a knowledgeable seller had to have a LCS. If you have a large inventory, are selling a lot on eBay, and have invested enough years and research to know what you're doing, you're a professional dealer too, with or without the technical business license. (Lots of LCS owners haven't a clue how to grade, for that matter). There are eBay sellers, with or without brick and mortar establishments, who have paid their dues and learned their trade.

But you (general "you") wouldn't buy an expensive diamond from the guy down the street who otherwise doesn't deal in them regularly, why buy comics (at least valuable ones) from someone who "found" a few in his attic, but otherwise deals in auto parts? Again... if he's putting them at auction with a starting bid of $1, sure, take your chances. But if he's asking collector prices, and he's not an expert, I find that, as a professional, to be rather insulting.

Comics has become big business. You have to be licensed to sell stocks, licensed to set up a loan office, certified to appraise gemstones, and have to jump through a lot of hoops just to set up a pawn shop.

But anybody anywhere can call themselves a comics "expert", despite it being a very complex field requiring a significant set of skills. If it wasn't such a widespread and significant problem, CGC would never have existed.

[As for grading, I'm assuming you're talking about a grading contest here on the CGC boards. I probably wouldn't fare well, as I tend to grade a lot tighter (i.e. lower) than does CGC. Above FN we're probably pretty close, but below that, I find CGC to be way too generous. They probably hammer small stains more than I do, and I probably hammer spine rolls, Marvel chipping, writing, and dust shadows more than they do. That doesn't make one of us more right than the other. The most important key to professional grading is consistency. Once a buyer knows where you're coming from and that you are consistent... he can judge for himself whether ones grades/prices fall within his parameters].

I disagree. Finding opportunities to purchase comics is much more difficult than selling them. As long as you can grade with consistency and detect restoration effectively then the comics will eventually sell themselves. Customer service doesn't require a series 7. If someone isn't happy with a book, you allow them to return you the book and give them their money back. Take enough pictures of what you are selling and this will rarely, if ever, occur. I'm not sure why you would need a pawnbrokers license to operate the camera on an iPhone or a scanner? When you are selling anything as highly coveted as the books most collectors pursue, it is more about obtaining inventory than a sales pitch about how great you are and how long you've been in business. At the end of the day if I have what you do not, whatever fictitious license you feel I should have will make no difference whatsoever.

THe best way for a comic novice to sell their stuff is to make very nice scans avaiable for the books. Not the mini pictures you can see via Ebay-- but incude the imgur or other sites large scans in the body of your description. I find this to be a great way to avoid "not as described" nonsense you can sometimes run into.

of course-- knowing how to put those scans into the body takes a tiny bit of knowledge/understanding of html so that is another can of worms

I would just suggest not getting upset at people who don't have a clue about what they are doing as far as grading, pricing, etc-- just move on to the next item. I would much rather see those goods presented in some fashion so they are on the market-- and by doing so, there are some bargains you can find as well. The bigger gamble is praying they know how to pack a book so it shows up in the same condition as you thought you purchased.

I disagree. Finding opportunities to purchase comics is much more difficult than selling them. As long as you can grade with consistency and detect restoration effectively then the comics will eventually sell themselves.

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along. However, the point of the OP's thread, and my subsequent responses, is discussing the vast majority of sellers who can't do this.

Take enough pictures of what you are selling and this will rarely, if ever, occur.

One of the most common problems encountered is missing pages, or coupons or Marvel stamps. This isn't likely to be determined from front and back cover scans. Page quality and fragility also rarely is visible, and even a fully detached cover might be obscured in a simple cover scan. Does the seller know how to identify printings of Classics (or TMNT, or undergrounds, if that's what they are selling?). And most restoration won't show up on a typical eBay scan.

If they are at least honest enough to offer returns, I guess maybe it doesn't matter if you don't mind the loss of time and (usually) shipping costs.

I also suspect the number of truly rare books (e.g., as you say, such that you can't find them anywhere else) that turn up on haphazard eBay sellers' listings is pretty small. When most people say they can't find a book, they mean they can't find it cheaply. Established and trustworthy dealers do, and should, get a premium for their services beyond the standard garage-saler.

Everybody lucks out now and then. But it's still pretty much true overall that you get what you pay for. Just compare the number of "eBay ripped me off" threads vs. "I got a great deal!" threads right here on these boards.

Here's my latest frustration. In fact it just happened. Seller has key BA book that i've been trying to get. He took a picture of it in the plastic with his camera phone and listed it in VF condition. I sent him/her an e-mail asking if I could get more pictures since I can't even see the back. Seller replied "barely had time to even take the picture thats up. Don't have time to take more pictures. Well he had time to type in a response so he must have "some" free time on hand. What a waste of an auction. Also what a lazy seller. Let me add that this comic was already relisted once since no one bid on it. You'd think he'd get the message. I'll wait for it to be relisted again and laugh at the guy.

Here's my latest frustration. In fact it just happened. Seller has key BA book that i've been trying to get. He took a picture of it in the plastic with his camera phone and listed it in VF condition. I sent him/her an e-mail asking if I could get more pictures since I can't even see the back. Seller replied "barely had time to even take the picture thats up. Don't have time to take more pictures. Well he had time to type in a response so he must have "some" free time on hand. What a waste of an auction. Also what a lazy seller. Let me add that this comic was already relisted once since no one bid on it. You'd think he'd get the message. I'll wait for it to be relisted again and laugh at the guy.

Just recently, there was a lot of Marvel Star Wars comics for sale. The price was several hundred dollars. I asked how the books would be packed for shipping. No response. I asked again. Needless to say the books have been relisted twice now and they still have not sold. Lazy seller or someone who knows I won't like the answer?