• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SweetComics guide to eBay auction survival.

35 posts in this topic

I've read quite a few threads concerning the dangers of buying raw comics thru eBay so I thought i'd throw together a few things that I look out for when browsing. I'm bored so bear with me. ;) Let us begin.

1) Comic is in VF/GD condition - Well if the seller can't even provide a grade that exists its probably safe to say move along. Yes i've actually seen this grade posted.

2) Picture of comic is taken in plastic. - Yes I want you to take the comic out of the bag so I can actually see what i'm bidding on. Sometimes you get a picture of the back of the comic without the plastic but the seller for some reason couldn't take a picture sans plastic sleeve of the front??? Something you hiding? Again move along.

3) Photo taken with old camera phone at angle. - Please. That 1.5 megapixel photo isn't clear enough to see the writing much less the other details I need to know. Next auction.

4) One picture taken with comment "ask lots of questions" added to description. - Really? You want me to ask every single question about every detail of this comic? This seller probably knows there is an unseen flaw with this comic but it would deter potential bidders if made known. If you then purchase this comic and find out the "surprise" and want to return it, the seller will probably play stupid and say i'm not a grader thats why I said ask lots of questions. Who knows, maybe the seller really didn't think all the scribbling on the inside cover would matter to anyone. Move far away from these auctions.

5) CGC IT - If its really worthy of being CGC'd (some how these 3 letters have become a verb) then why isn't the seller doing it himself to reap the benefits?

6) WOW in the title. - Yes it seems like a great word to get people's attention but they always turn out to be plain old VG comics. After I view the rolled spine and surface wear I leave thinking "WOW, that book looked like it got into a fight with a cat and lost". Maybe it is an appropriate term to put in??????

7) I am not a grader ect.... - Well guess what? Most of us aren't either but we at least try and give detailed information about the book. You probably don't want anything to do with this auction.

There are probably many more items that haven't been listed but i'm tired of typing. Feel free to add/discuss other annoying auction red flags!

I don't even look thru the BIN listings anymore. There may have been a few "or best offer" items that I got good deals on but there are too many overpriced/over graded listings to look thru. Not to mention all the NM listings where the seller wants full book value for a raw book and then you see all this surface wear on the front and think "is Stevie Wonder listing his comics"?

1) Comic is in VF/GD condition - Well if the seller can't even provide a grade that exists its probably safe to say move along. Yes i've actually seen this grade posted.

I would assume this is a typo - "F" and "G" are right next to each other on the keyboard, and "VG/GD" IS an actual grade that exists.

Plus, the fact that "VF" is also a grade makes it very easy to assume a quick glance-over might have missed it in proof reading.

(For some reason, I had more than my usual typo's while typing this one out, too - probably had a 1:1 ratio of letters:backspace in my typing)

Yeah - I agree with most of these criticisms, but to me it's perfectly reasonable for someone to choose not to send a comic away for 4+ months in order to get it CGC'd.

Even if it's worth $200+.

and seeing a book in a CGC slab pic is no sure thing either-- remember the shenanigans with the folks who bought Hulk 181 that turned out to be only the cover and a different mag inside when they cracked it open? think that was on craigs list but the point is the same

7) I am not a grader ect.... - Well guess what? Most of us aren't either but we at least try and give detailed information about the book. You probably don't want anything to do with this auction.

Of course, another solution is that if you're not a knowledgeable grader, maybe you should consider selling your comics to someone who is.

It's one thing on eBay to sell used tools, basic household items, bulk collections, etc. eBay is essentially a national garage sale, and it's appropriate to shop for those kind of items there. But collectibles of real value... whatever they are... take a certain level of expertise to deal in. People who never would have considred trying to sell $1,000 collector's items at a garage sale suddenly feel it's appropriate to palm them off on people via eBay. At least at a garage sale the buyer can actually inspect the item!

One of my employees is trying to put together some 1st edition book runs of a few of his favorite contemporary authors. But several times, from both eBay and Amazon, he keeps getting beat up bookclub copies instead, from people who swear they are original 1st editions. Sure you can return them, but what a hassle. And these people aren't trying intentionally to be crooks... they just don't know what they're doing, and shouldn't be dealing in these products at all.

Of course... if folks didn't keep buying from people who don't know what they're doing, none of this would be an issue in the first place.

and seeing a book in a CGC slab pic is no sure thing either-- remember the shenanigans with the folks who bought Hulk 181 that turned out to be only the cover and a different mag inside when they cracked it open? think that was on craigs list but the point is the same

I think that was a PGX slab if this is the one you're talking about.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7469415&fpart=1

I think that was a PGX slab if this is the one you're talking about.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7469415&fpart=1

oops-- PGX-- sorry-- either way- I meant that it was presented as a professionally graded item in a sealed container. But it still came out as fraud and wasn't discovered for quite a while because the folks didn't open a sealed item.

My point being that you can get scammed pretty hard even in the face of that type of picture evidence some of the time. This in reference to some foks claiming that CGC or nothing-- don't buy raw (possibly mixing this up with a different thread-sorry).

Of course, another solution is that if you're not a knowledgeable grader, maybe you should consider selling your comics to someone who is.

It's one thing on eBay to sell used tools, basic household items, bulk collections, etc. eBay is essentially a national garage sale, and it's appropriate to shop for those kind of items there. But collectibles of real value... whatever they are... take a certain level of expertise to deal in. People who never would have considred trying to sell $1,000 collector's items at a garage sale suddenly feel it's appropriate to palm them off on people via eBay. At least at a garage sale the buyer can actually inspect the item!

One of my employees is trying to put together some 1st edition book runs of a few of his favorite contemporary authors. But several times, from both eBay and Amazon, he keeps getting beat up bookclub copies instead, from people who swear they are original 1st editions. Sure you can return them, but what a hassle. And these people aren't trying intentionally to be crooks... they just don't know what they're doing, and shouldn't be dealing in these products at all.

Of course... if folks didn't keep buying from people who don't know what they're doing, none of this would be an issue in the first place.

I think you are over generalizing. Some of us who sell on ebay are fairly knowledgeable and have better inventory than many LCS, at least around where I live. As far as grading, maybe you should put your skills to the test in the next grading contest. Not saying I'm the best myself, but I'm always down for a friendly wager if you think you have what it takes.