• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC, my BEST CON EVER (ballinonabudget)

80 posts in this topic

Great report and it sounds like you had fun. So you aren't allowed to pass tickets around?

The Marvel Spiderverse looks confusing and reinforces my beliefs that DC is in firm control of the comic scene and Marvel needs serious help.

Interesting to hear someone say that after The New 52. What makes you say that outside of Spiderverse- which does sound out there.

I think both companies are a mess, but The New 52 put out some garbage for a bit. It is finding its footing now.

Great report and it sounds like you had fun. So you aren't allowed to pass tickets around?

The Marvel Spiderverse looks confusing and reinforces my beliefs that DC is in firm control of the comic scene and Marvel needs serious help.

Interesting to hear someone say that after The New 52. What makes you say that outside of Spiderverse- which does sound out there.

I think both companies are a mess, but The New 52 put out some garbage for a bit. It is finding its footing now.

No you are not allowed to pass around tickets. Fortunately, the security does a much better job policing where you can and cant stand during the Con. Logistically, it's be a nightmare enforcing the passes/You going to scan all 130k people?

The reason I say that is that at least for my money, Marvel is trying too hard. Granted both have had flops, but DC rebooted the company basically, starting from scratch and at least for the most part have stayed the course with creative back stories and new twists. Marvel did the same at about the same time. Since then Spider-man "died," now Iron Man is moving to San Fran and becoming "superior." Thor is still Thor but no power and now some new lady will be Thor, that's confusing. And the Falcon is becoming Captain America while Steve Rogers takes a sabbatical. Wolverine is going to "die." etc. etc. etc.

For my money, Marvel is too gimmicky. You don't see Wonder Woman becoming Captain Wonder and some new ethnic girl becoming WW? You don't see Batman dying, and Joker taking over his mind. Superman isn't hanging up the cape so Supergirl can become Superman.

I just don't like what Marvel is doing, messing with things that aren't broken. You want a Muslim girl as a main hero, great, but create one, don't try to used the built in fan base of a name. Want a strong African-american lead, ok again create one, or push for Black Panther or Falcon or someone else to be that person. They're not being original ultimately, Marvel is recycling names so they maintain fans, I dont buy it.

so your wife had tickets and you didn't?

Basically yes, she got a pro badge about a month back.

Yes, and if you are lucky enough to get your hands on a pro badge :cloud9: you do not mess around and risk any behavior which would invalidate it as you or the person that got it for you would never qualify for one ever again.

I get a pro badge for NYCC and while I have been asked by a couple of people to borrow it, I must always say 'no' as not to jeopardize receiving this favor of that pass in the future.

Awesome sketch with an industry legend. Glad you were able to enjoy the experience.

Batman did die pretty recently… They also already had a black Green Lantern…

I get what you're saying but I feel both are pretty gimmicky.

When did Marvel restart their universe though? I've seen that comment a few times.

Sorry I'm sort of derailing your Con thread… Oh and your wife has a comic? That is pretty cool.

huge congrats on a free show and a great sketch!

the jim lee sketch you got is one of the best ones he did. if i were at the show all i would have been doing is hunting down a sketch from him :)

Friday and Saurday was just that, but he'd tweet out a video of him dropping the sketch in the bushes outside, if your inside, forget it, by the time you get out of the place is one thing but there was literally traffic to cross the street. You had no chance at that point, it was a shoot unless you found that girl that was carrying around the sketch in a backpack. It was fun but also frustrating, you didn't know when he would post, nor if it would be hidden at a hotel, outside or anywhere else. To his point point though, and the joker said as much, it was chaos, but chaos is fair. The panel was the best chance by far and it paid off.

When did Marvel restart their universe though? I've seen that comment a few times.

Sorry I'm sort of derailing your Con thread… Oh and your wife has a comic? That is pretty cool.

Well the Green Lantern thing is different though, they have a Green Lantern Corps, so theres more than one. There is no Captain America Society or anything like that. Theres one Cap, several Green Lantern's. I think this illustrates how differnetly the companies do it. DC more or less created more Green Lanterns, it's not like there was only one and Hal Jordan stepped down as the GL.

Was the Batman death in New52? I don't recall that?

Well the Green Lantern thing is different though, they have a Green Lantern Corps, so theres more than one. There is no Captain America Society or anything like that. Theres one Cap, several Green Lantern's. I think this illustrates how differnetly the companies do it. DC more or less created more Green Lanterns, it's not like there was only one and Hal Jordan stepped down as the GL.

Was the Batman death in New52? I don't recall that?

Not in the new52 that I recall, but possibly referring to FinalCrisis...which is now no longer really the FinalCrisis...that gimick never really ends now does it.

Personally I think both shops are just as guilty over the past 5-10years.

Although you might be right that Marvel is in the lead w/ gimicks and less than well thought out creativity lately (trying to be polite).