• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Batman/DetectiveComics collection

28 posts in this topic

Would like to hear from those that have done it. Advice, stories or pics.

I am just about done with the Bronze age of Batman and Detective comics. I am thinking about jumping back and consecrating on Golden age say from TEC issue #39 up and Batman issue #2.

Would it be best to knock out the keys first? Anyone have a good list of books that are major and minor keys( I have one would just like to compare).

I am not a high grade collector and doing this a a bucket list/life goal thing not an investment.Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance, Lyle

Hi Lyle.

I think The Gator has completed both and can give you his insight. I completed Batman 1 - 500. I always think it is best to get the keys first. Settle on a grade tolerance range and plow through it.

Greg, Batman-fan has a complete set of Batman as well I believe.

I sold mine some years ago to focus on a broader collection set

Bill

First you should decide what is and is not acceptable. Meaning is restored acceptable? Tape? etc.

Second, in my opinion, go for the keys first. 27, 28, 29, 31, 33, 35.

The other issues are plentiful in varying grades and prices. If you think you will be able to pick up one of the key issues cheap, or that the prices will come down, you are in for a surprise. Set a budget, and go for it. And don't be afraid of layaway.

At this point my set contains:

28 7.0 Restored

29 Coverless :(

30 CGC 5.0

31 Raw 2.0

32 Raw 2.0

33 8.0 Restored

34 Qualified 4.0 (married interior)

35 8.0 Restored

36 7.5 Restored

37 7.0 Restored

38 Raw 1.8

I will probably not be able to add a 27 until later in life, so am not stressing about it right now. I am happy with what I have especially since I bought many of them over 10 years ago.

In regards to Batman. Every issue is plentiful including number 1. Pick up a decent number 1, and do the rest later. Other than number 1, most sell for under guide and are very easy to find. The Detective run is more difficult in terms of locating them and expense, but will always be in greater demand in my opinion.

I have no problem with restoration. In fact the one pre Robin Tec I have been looking at has the header cut off so I would have to have it restored. Most of the pre Robin Tec's are going to be out of reach right now.

I am not sure yet if I will be getting a Batman #1 or one of the repro's. It depend on what kind of deal comes my way. The farther back I go the lower the grade I will probably be looking at.

I sold mine some years ago to focus on a broader collection set

Bill

What's that if you don't mind me asking?

I've always loved keys and iconic issues. Run chasing forces you to get the next ones on the list. And often times you end up buying books for the sake of the run, and not because you like or want them.

So, now I only buy what I like and want.

Sometimes that means a partial run, or a complete short run series, but that's ok by my.

At this point my set contains:

28 7.0 Restored

29 Coverless :(

30 CGC 5.0

31 Raw 2.0

32 Raw 2.0

33 8.0 Restored

34 Qualified 4.0 (married interior)

35 8.0 Restored

36 7.5 Restored

37 7.0 Restored

38 Raw 1.8

nice !

I've always loved keys and iconic issues. Run chasing forces you to get the next ones on the list. And often times you end up buying books for the sake of the run, and not because you like or want them.

I imagine hunting down covers with Batman and Robin riding Victorian bicycles or decorating a Christmas tree isn't nearly as much fun as looking for Joker covers.

I imagine hunting down covers with Batman and Robin riding Victorian bicycles or decorating a Christmas tree isn't nearly as much fun as looking for Joker covers.

Oh I don't know. Those can be quite amusing. It's all how you look at them, I guess.

Key villain origins are in Detective, such as, first Clayface, Penguin and Two-Face in Detective 40, 58, 66, 140 (Riddler) and 168 (Joker origin). Batman 2-11 and 47 are a little high priced in high grade but most are available in low grade and relatively inexpensive.

Detective 27-38 are only for the high rollers but probably worth drooling over.

Small logo golden age have a lot of backup stories.

9232783248_f1be3dbf8e_b.jpg

Silver age Detectives are fun to collect too.

7286716126_ba3a84376d_b.jpg

I have had both Batman 29 and 27 and have a hard time buying them back. Batman 27 has a lot of Christmas fans and it makes a nice t-shirt.

Here is the list of keys I have put together not including pre robin Tec or Batman 1.I have not list any Bronze age or later keys because I already have them but have include some silver age keys

Detective Comics 40,46,58,66,67,68,73,140,168,225,233,236,265,267,289,359

Batman 5,15,16,25,47,49,59,61,103,121,122,129,139,144,155,171,181,189

I already have Tec 327 and Batman 121,139 and 171.

I have the BM set and Detective 20 up but some are restored, or

rebuilt, some are coverless, and a few are fragments.

Most of the ones I need to replace or want to upgrade are the

very expensive ones. Had I known when I started how the

keys and early issues were going to go up in price a lot faster

than the others, I would have concentrated on getting the

keys first. Then today I might be missing a bunch of issues but,

when I find them, they would be affordable.

Scarcity is time dependent. Some books that seemed common

20 years ago are now scarce and some books that seemed

scarce 20 years ago now seem common. There is no way to

predict which books are going to change from common to scarce

or vice versa.

Get the keys first. Then in 10 - 30 years (depending on your

finances and minimum condition standards), you will have most

issues. When you go looking for those last 10 issues, you will

find they rarely show up. When they do you may get them below

guide or you may have to pay well above guide. But even at double

guide, they will still be less than half the cost of the cheapest

"key" in "good" condition.

I finished the Batman run about 11 years ago. Batman is super easy to complete if you have near unlimited funds. I started by just buying any issue I could find that I could afford. I always focused on buying the most expensive item so if I had a choice between buying one expensive item or ten cheaper items, I would always go for the single expensive item. I used layaway for several really expensive items. Any time I did layaway, I made sure to pay off the book as quickly as possible and stayed 100% focused on buying it (i.e. didn't make any other purchases until it was paid for).

I gave up on the Detective run, just way too expensive but I have a lot of books that I love the covers of.

Here are some pictures I have taken over the years.

61278-Batman_fan.jpg

DD992945-EB61-4EA8-BBEB-6401F39A2C5E-2384-000001EBA7E3C565.jpg

det_73_f_s.jpg

photo-22.jpg

batman_group2.jpg