• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Abduction

61 posts in this topic

is really mess up, i'm thinking police are waiting once the girl recovers and they are able to get more information on what happen. i think they also could charge him with rape also.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5957517/police-san-diego-comic-con-cosplayer-assault-investigation

The teenage cosplayer found injured and unconscious at a San Diego hotel during Comic-Con this week was not the victim of an assault, according to a San Diego Harbor Police investigation. Her injuries, police said in a statement today, were likely the result of a fall.

On Sunday, the young woman was found with "significant injuries" in the pool area of the San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina Hotel and was transported, still in her costume, to a local hospital for treatment. San Diego Police arrested 29-year-old photographer Justin Kalior in connection with the case, charging him with sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Kalior told Polygon he was friends with the victim, and denied having sex with her or giving her any alcohol.

The girl, who turned 17 on Sunday, was treated for skull and eye-socket fractures and cerebral hemorrhaging, among other injuries. The circumstances surrounding her injuries drew attention from friends, the cosplaying community and San Diego Comic-Con attendees who rallied support to provide police and other officials with information about what was believed to be an assault.

A review of footage from surveillance cameras and information gathered from Comic-Con attendees concluded that the girl's injuries were not the result of an assault, but likely that of a fall, police said.

"Her injuries, and physical evidence at the scene, were consistent with a fall from the distance of approximately six feet," a police statement reads.

The findings do not affect the charges against Kalior, police said, and because the case involves a minor, San Diego Police say they won't release further information about the incident.

"A review of footage from surveillance cameras and information gathered from Comic-Con attendees concluded that the girl's injuries were not the result of an assault, but likely that of a fall, police said."

I'm a little confused, it says they looked a surveillance footage but they still say it was 'likely that of a fall' - would not the footage offer a positive confirmation of the event?

"A review of footage from surveillance cameras and information gathered from Comic-Con attendees concluded that the girl's injuries were not the result of an assault, but likely that of a fall, police said."

I'm a little confused, it says they looked a surveillance footage but they still say it was 'likely that of a fall' - would not the footage offer a positive confirmation of the event?

all the footage would show is he wasn't near her when she was hurt

Not necessarily. Footage may show her walking around alone but not the actual fall. In other words, it may show that there was no one there to attack her, but not the fall itself. Similarly (if the delinquency charge is because he was giving her alcohol or other drugs) it could show her in an inebriated stated stumbling around raising the likelihood of a fall. I am glad that this situation was treated with the gravity it deserves.

"Her injuries, and physical evidence at the scene, were consistent with a fall from the distance of approximately six feet," a police statement reads.

Six feet when unconscious is quite the fall. That's limp weight coming down a long ways, probably on her head.

:eek:

If she's say 5'5" and was on a 7" curb and fell on her head that's 6 feet and yes a fall like that can be fatal

Why her friends let her stumble off drunk is another question

This times a zillion, although some people can't be reasoned with if they are emotional AND under the influence.

yup and friends like that I follow around no matter how much they scream at me

This times a zillion, although some people can't be reasoned with if they are emotional AND under the influence.

Especially if you're guy. There would be a tipping point where you might be facing false imprisonment charges or worse. Better to call 911 and get an authority to the scene post-haste than try and forcibly restrict some emotionally-volatile drunk girl out to harm herself or others.

I didnt say anything about restraining-I would FOLLOW her

And I believe there's something in the law about restraining someone likely to injure themselves or others

Especially if you're guy. There would be a tipping point where you might be facing false imprisonment charges or worse. Better to call 911 and get an authority to the scene post-haste than try and forcibly restrict some emotionally-volatile drunk girl out to harm herself and others.

Yup. Being a dad of three teenage girls, it enrages me that someone can let a young drunk girl roam around at night. And it saddens me greatly at the same time.

I didnt say anything about restraining-I would FOLLOW her

Stalker.

j/k :jokealert::)

I would keep following her for a few days after just in case there were lingering effects

I'll toss this out there, but it's probably meaningless speculation. I started to wonder why the reports I was seeing kept pushing the 'Cosplay' aspect. In my cynical-mind I began wondering if the parents hadn't already lawyered-up. SDCC being the "deep pockets", if even a hint of negligence could be established.

Cosplay is one of the great things about SDCC. But because there's an underlying sexual-aspect to it, seems like now you have agenda-groups and the media eager and geared-up to pounce, an annual opportunity for scandal too good to pass up.

It's a damn shame, and will probably ruin it for everybody, but it seems like just a matter of time.

I'll toss this out there, but it's probably meaningless speculation. I started to wonder why the reports I was seeing kept pushing the 'Cosplay' aspect. In my cynical-mind I began wondering if the parents hadn't already lawyered-up. SDCC being the "deep pockets", if even a hint of negligence could be established.

Cosplay is one of the great things about SDCC. But because there's an underlying sexual-aspect to it, seems like now you have agenda-groups and the media eager and geared-up to pounce, an annual opportunity for scandal too good to pass up.

It's a damn shame, and will probably ruin it for everybody, but it seems like just a matter of time.

I think they kept pushing the cosplay aspect because it was the easiest way to identity her and get more information from the more relevant community that would know, and thus if tagged with that keyword it would make sure the news hit the circles it would do them most good.

If I was at the con and as was asked if i saw "a girl approximately 16-18 years of age, some random height etc..." it would not be nearly as effective (or memorable) as if I was asked "Have you see the female roger rabbit?" (and all the cosplayers take lots of photos so there would be even better record of time frames perhaps). That and fans totally come together in times of need better then just a random part of the general public :)