• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Abduction

61 posts in this topic

I hate facebook for this reason. I see things like this

http://graphicpolicy.com/2014/07/29/sdcc-2014-police-need-your-help-concerning-a-cosplayer/

When a lot of the discussion before, during, and after San Diego Comic-Con has been about cosplay, harassment and consent, this drives home the point something needs to be done, and conventions need to take safety seriously. Tumblr blog Test Your Luck has the details.

One of my dearest friends was found on the side of the road, unconscious and bloody. She was wearing this cosplay on the day it happened. She was last seen with friends when she ran off after a disagreement. Please, please, please, if you have ANY information or saw her anywhere, contact her mother. The full information is down below. This isn’t okay and it’s sickening to know that this happened at a place people truly can enjoy themselves. Please spread the word. ”I just received a call from the San Diego Police Department and my daughter (redacted) aka (redacted) was found on the side of the road covered in blood with no ID unconscious. They are unsure what happened to her. My husband is on his way to the police station and then the hospital. If you have any information on what happened to her please send me a facebook message or call me at (redacted). Thank you in advance”. -(redacted)

This is a good time for the community to come together and pass along info if they have any information, even a photo of the girl helps put together a timeline.

I removed the number of the mother, instead please call the San Diego Police Department at (619) 531-2000 or (858) 484-3154. – See third update below

Update: G33k HQ has reported that SDPD says the San Diego Harbor Police are handling it, which explains why they could neither confirm or deny it when we originally contacted them. We’ve reached out to the SDHPD for verification and further details.

Update 2: I’ve tracked down the parents Facebook pages. The pages do look legit, have lots of friends and been active for quite some time. They both mention this unfortunate incident. For those saying this is a “hoax,” I don’t believe it is.

Update 3: We received a press release from the San Diego Harbor Police:

Incident Type: Arrest Incident Date/Time: July 27, 2014 1:15am Location: 333 W Harbor DR. Case #: 14-03122 Prepared by: Sergeant Todd Rakos Harbor Police arrested a 29-year-old man early Sunday morning, July 27th in a hotel at 333 West Harbor Drive. He was booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 am on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of minor. The victim, a juvenile female, was transported to a hospital for evaluation and treatment. The Harbor Police Investigations Unit is handling the incident. This investigation is ongoing.

Since the victim is a minor, her privacy and that of her family should be respected. I’ve removed photos of the victim, and links to an identifying info out of respect.

Someone was arrested on Sunday and the girl is in the hospital with her brain bleeding. i would have posted the link with that information if it didn't have a picture of the girl. :facepalm:

Why was she under age and alone? :(

Damn, I hope this turns out as best as possible for her and if the dude is guilty, he needs to have the book thrown at him.

Sergeant Todd Rakos Harbor Police arrested a 29-year-old man early Sunday morning, July 27th in a hotel at 333 West Harbor Drive.

That would be the Mariott Marquis and Marina, btw, which is the "choice" hotel for the con.

My wife works for NBC here in San Diego.

She hasn't heard of this story yet. hm

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

On (I believe) Friday night I saw police lights and Harbor drive was also blocked where it curves after the Hyatt as you are heading towards the Midway. I never did manage to figure what it was but the road was completely blocked by cruisers.

Any idea what happened there?

My wife works for NBC here in San Diego.

She hasn't heard of this story yet. hm

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Google "Sergeant Todd Rakos Harbor Police arrested a 29-year-old man" and this thread is the only pop. It hasn't made the news yet, apparently.

The guy should rot forever. Predatory :censored:.

And some people's attitudes is that she shouldn't have dressed like a comic character at a comic convention if she didn't want to get raped.

..... hopefully this creap will get a good dose of cell block justice. While I would never dress up in a costume, I always thought it was cool and welcomed cosplayers at any show I went to. It's supposed to be fun. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

And some people's attitudes is that she shouldn't have dressed like a comic character at a comic convention if she didn't want to get raped.

..... hopefully this creap will get a good dose of cell block justice. While I would never dress up in a costume, I always thought it was cool and welcomed cosplayers at any show I went to. It's supposed to be fun. GOD BLESS....

Cosplay is what makes SDCC "Geek Prom". It's nearly impossible to not admire that level of personal freedom, creativity, courage, audacity and enthusiasm.

I'll never have it if I live to be a million, but it's inspiring as hell to be around.

Jails are not too kind on people that attack young girls. A lot of convicts have daughters.

Cosplay is what makes SDCC "Geek Prom". It's nearly impossible to not admire that level of personal freedom, creativity, courage, audacity and enthusiasm.

I'll never have it if I live to be a million, but it's inspiring as hell to be around.

..... so very well put. I think cosplay is one of the best things to happen to fandom in a long time.... and I see cosplayers buying books often.... boys AND girls. I just hope this girl will be alright ..... but the perp ?...... I wouldn't mind if the girls pop emptied a clip in his arse.... but that's just me. GOD BLESS...

Shooting's too good for him. Dress him up as Wonder Woman, and turn off the security cameras in the pen for an hour. See how he likes it.

..... this. Except leave the cameras on with a direct feed to Facebook.

....actually, if someone where to organize a charity thread to raise some funds or send the young lady some comics, I'm in. Maybe show her that most of us appreciate her individuality and are squarely in her corner. GOD BLESS...

I was in charge of three teenage girls at SDCC, including my daughter and two friends so the thought of this scares the spoon out of me even though comic con is already behind us and the kids are back to their summer jobs and play rehearsals.

Prior to departure, I assured the nervous parents of one girl that Comic Con was one of the safest environments I had ever frequented. Year after year, I told them, I never heard of a single fight, or a serious assault or robbery. Can't say that any more.

I've taken my teenagers the last two years but I don't think I'd let them run around outside at night, alone. Again, the question nags me what she was doing alone out there. :(

And yeah, some of the suggestions in this thread for the perp sound very satisfying. :mad: