• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious to see what the SS room thinks of this cracked book getting a SS label

27 posts in this topic

Please check this thread on a cracked out SS book retaining the yellow label sans witness. I'm pretty bothered by this.

From the Grading and Restoration section.

These three Hulk 1s were all .5s. (Pretty much all I can afford anymore).

I cracked them and have brought them back from the dead. One might be a 1.5 now, one a 1.8, and one a 2.5.

Here's my question. The middle one was a .5 SS with Stan's signature. I kept the label. If I submit the label with the comic will they honor the SS designation when they grade it?

get-attachment-11aspx_zps92afac72.jpeg

Here's some good news...

I sent in the restored Hulk 1 (which was previously a .5 SS Hulk 1) in to CGC to be graded.

It received a 1.5 restored grade AND RETAINED the SS label.

It retained the SS label because:

1) I sent in the original .5 SS label with scans of the before & after.

2) One of chat board members (who does pro resto) went out of his way to put in a word for me with Paul Litch to let him know I could be trusted on this comic.

Big thanks to that board member. It's nice to retain the SS.

I was hoping for a minimum 1.8 grade so I'm bummed about that, but at least I retained the SS designation.

I'll post a photo when I get the comic in hand.

I also sent 1 of the other two Hulk 1s in for grading that I posted at the start of this thread, but I don't know the grade on that one yet. I fear it'll probably be a 1.5 too.

A strict rule for the SS program was openly broken and excused by CGC, I doubt they will have any explanation outside of the "it was a one time occurrence that you will never have" post. Maybe add in some back handed message about how they will "look into this issue" for good measure.

Yeah, Ze-man commented in the other thread about how the OP is a trustworthy long time client. I'm not casting doubt on the OP's credibility, at least not any more doubt than CGC used to cast on anyone with a cracked SS book prior to this one.

I'm really irritated.

I guess if you know the right people you can do an end around on the rules. This program is all about 100% solid chain of custody, or at least it was.

Congrats on getting the grade bump you hoped for. I'm a little confused on the retention of the SS designation. It is clear that you cracked the book yourself, basically voiding the yellow label with no witness. Chain of custody is key for the integrity of the SS label, so while it's great that a boardie would vouch for you on this it would seem you got a pass for violating a solid rule of the SS program. You got this pass publicly after announcing this move on the company chat board on an uber key book. I can't say I feel good about that.

Todd has been a client for a long time,I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

Paul said to have Todd send him everything he had, and he would take a look.

So I guess under the right circumstances CGC will retain a SS if all the criteria are met. Which to me is a good thing.

And I imagine now Paul regrets letting himself be talked into it by me.

If he doesn't mind anyone with before and after scans of a cracked SS resubbing for a yellow label, and what that'll do for the integrity of the program he has nothing to worry about.

I suppose it has as more to do with me going to bat for todd, as well as his before scans.

I was just trying to do what I felt was right, with what I saw in front of me.

I fully believe Ze-man and the OP about what happened but it should still have never retained the SS label. I understand that it was a mistake and Ze-man went to bat for gadzukes but it should have had the same outcome if one of us had done it. Networking is an important part of life but when it is used to bend the rules set by a company it makes everything look bad.

This doesn't make me feel any better. Someone along the way should have known and followed the rules, even if Kenny was not up to speed.

Fair enough, I admit, I am ignorant on the entire SS program, and it's protocols because I never follow it. Not that I don't like them, I just never followed any of it.

At the time, I just saw this thread and called Paul not knowing I was violating anything.

Thought I was doing a good thing because it was so clear what happened, was an honest mistake.

That's on me, and I apologize for overstepping any standard protocols.

Can someone tell me (or point me in the right direction) as to why this is bad?

How is this different than sending in a book with a blue label?

(not trolling - genuinely curious)

A CGC employee is supposed to have directly witnessed any signature in a yellow label, with absolutely no exceptions. An artist can't even tell CGC that a book has been signed by them, CGC won't certify it unless they see it. If you crack out a yellow label book without an authorized witness you invalidate the guaranteed authenticity of the yellow label. That is, until today.

Paul admitted it was a mistake. It appears that he thought that Kenny had cracked it out (Kenny being part of CCS which can crack out Yellow labels.) Now that it is clear that he didn't Paul is doing the right thing, as he always does for the program, by getting the book back.

This is on me. I asked for the book back. Kenny works for CCS so i thought there was more to it. I was wrong. That's my fault.

I have asked for the book back. I will buy it.

Just to hit this thread as well as it may have been missed.

This is on me. I asked for the book back. Kenny works for CCS so i thought there was more to it. I was wrong. That's my fault.

edit: beat me to it :slapfight:

Paul admitted it was a mistake. It appears that he thought that Kenny had cracked it out (Kenny being part of CCS which can crack out Yellow labels.) Now that it is clear that he didn't Paul is doing the right thing, as he always does for the program, by getting the book back.

Yep, and kudos to everyone for stepping up. :applause:

A CGC employee is supposed to have directly witnessed any signature in a yellow label, with absolutely no exceptions. An artist can't even tell CGC that a book has been signed by them, CGC won't certify it unless they see it. If you crack out a yellow label book without an authorized witness you invalidate the guaranteed authenticity of the yellow label. That is, until today.

Oh, ok. Got it.

Thanks (thumbs u

Good looking out Paul :thumbsup:

I didn't think CGC witnessed sigs that are done on sketches sent into them directly from artists. I know not all sketches are picked up from artist alley at cons & many are completed in their homes.

Am I wrong on that?

edit: not vouching for their sig/work but direct mailing of finished sketches from their homes

I didn't think CGC witnessed sigs that are done on sketches sent into them directly from artists. I know not all sketches are picked up from artist alley at cons & many are completed in their homes.

Am I wrong on that?

No, but those sorts of situations need to be approved beforehand.

Am I wrong on that?

No, but those sorts of situations need to be approved beforehand.

Not only that, but the artist also has to include paperwork verifying the authenticity of the sigs/sketches with the books.