• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Modern Guardians of the Galaxy Team?

43 posts in this topic

What is the first appearance of the modern Guardians of the Galaxy team? By modern team I mean the one that got its first series in 2008.

I have heard that Annihilation Conquest 6, published June 2008 is the first appearance.

However, I would argue the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord 1, published September 2007 is the true first appearance.

Here is the last page from Annihilation Conquest: Starlord 1:

Annihilation-Conquest-Starlord001-022_zpsd96c9260.jpg

While not all the team members are there, we do have Starlord, Groot, Rocket Racoon, Mantis and Bug.

What do you think?

Who's the purple lady? -That is a lady, right?

Deathcry.

I wouldn't consider that the first appearance because that is not the team that Starlord put together to be a proactive force. GotG 1 is the true first appearance IMO. AC6 is just the first time all the key players are in the same room...

The team was first introduced in Annihilation Conquest 6. The last pages shows Drax, Rocket, and Gamora being summond by Star Lord...Thus the start of the new team which is featured in GOTG 1 2008 and in the current movie.

That article doesn't really say anything about their first appearance. It just says that the first issue of the new ongoing series came out in 2008.

Not that Wikipedia is the authority on this, but it says right in the first paragraph, "These Guardians first appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) No. 1 (May 2008)".

The team was first introduced in Annihilation Conquest 6. The last pages shows Drax, Rocket, and Gamora being summond by Star Lord...Thus the start of the new team which is featured in GOTG 1 2008 and in the current movie.

It's not the first appearance if they aren't a team yet though. The issue ends with Starlord wanting to talk to them about forming a team. Meaning that discussion and formation of the team happened off panel between that issue and GotG 1, making GotG the first appearance of the team.

So when's a team really a team? When individual players are called up, or when they play together?

Like Avengers "We're not a team, we're a ticking time bomb waiting to explode"

Or the Teen Titans....they weren't a team, but were introduced in DC Comics Presents 26.... and an add to show issue one as well (Just Like Annihilation Conquest 6)

So when's a team really a team? When individual players are called up, or when they play together?

Like Avengers "We're not a team, we're a ticking time bomb waiting to explode"

Or the Teen Titans....they weren't a team, but were introduced in DC Comics Presents 26.... and an add to show issue one as well (Just Like Annihilation Conquest 6)

I consider it a team once all the key players are called together and agree to play together and for a specific purpose. So we may see all the key players in that issue, but they hadn't agreed to play together, yet. Which, Mantis played a large "role" in the formation of the team, but we dont see that part either.

Just my viewpoint though.

The new team does even name themselves as the Guardians of the Galaxy until the volume 2 series…I think 3rd issue.

The first issue, Mantis says within 24 hours they will name themselves as the Guardians of the Galaxy. So technically…the first issue.

I'll leave it as such:

Bottom line, it's what the CGC label says :)

Not taking a position, But never just rely on a CGC label. They are wrong plenty of times.

It's not the first appearance if they aren't a team yet though. The issue ends with Starlord wanting to talk to them about forming a team. Meaning that discussion and formation of the team happened off panel between that issue and GotG 1, making GotG the first appearance of the team.

Using that logic, isn't Avenger 2 the first appearence of The Avengers?

Its on the last page of Avengers 1 that they suggest working as a team in the future.

Using that logic, isn't Avenger 2 the first appearence of The Avengers?

Its on the last page of Avengers 1 that they suggest working as a team in the future.

What is the 1st appearance of the movie Avengers as a team in comics ?