• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it time to stop collecting?

69 posts in this topic

I don't care what you collect. Books, statues, cards, coins, or tattoos. What age is it time to stop?

I mean, are you going to be buying comic books for your collection when you are 88?

I know that each of us makes that type of decision based on our own desires and circumstances. Duh. But today, when do you think it will be right FOR YOU to stop?

Depends on why you collect. If you collect because you enjoy the stories... stop when you don't enjoy them anymore.

If you collect only for investment purposes, as I know many on these boards do, you probably want to stop when your income stops I guess?

Probably a pretty personal question for many people in so far as the answer will wildly differ depending on who you ask.

I plan to stop collecting when my eyesight deteriorates too much to enjoy the artwork. Or, if I were terminally ill or did not expect to live much longer due to old age, I'd sell my collection rather than leaving it for my heirs to have to deal with.

If people are collecting for investment purposes, the time to stop is now. I like to believe my books will retain most--or at least half, let's say--of their value for the next decade or so, but I think they're a very risky investment compared to stocks, real estate, etc. (I would be willing to bet the prices being paid right now for some high-grade late silver, bronze, and modern books will not hold out over the long haul. Books from those periods are just too common to justify some of the prices I've seen.) No way in hell would I be buying comics if I didn't enjoy them.

Never.

But my tastes change as I get older. There's the "nostalgia stuff" that I collect, which is basically the stuff I was into as a kid.

And then there's the "discovery stuff"...just trying new books, new reads, more for the joy of the comics and less for their collectible value, etc.

When Digital takes over which I hope is never.

You don't have to stop when that happens - I don't read my tangible comics anymore, I read just digital. But I love my books.

Put me in the group that will stop once I can't enjoy the art. For me, comics are more than stories, they are small, inspirational pieces of art - and I hope the day that I can't see and appreciate art is the day before they throw dirt over me.

Depends...

If I have no family who wants them for the joy of the books themselves, I am selling to liquidate before it is too late, and not to burden people with it.

Now if I am convinced a daughter or grand son, etc., loves them some comics, then thats where they are going.

When they throw the dirt over me.

(thumbs u

And even then I will start a new collection...

I will start a fund that will make sure my pull list will be send to me long after I am gone.