• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate to sound sexist but.................

76 posts in this topic

I love women and have a great amount of respect for them but I must say this: Every single time I buy a comic book or comic magazine from a woman on Ebay, there is something drastic wrong with it. Every time, all the time. I have NEVER EVER gotten a comic from a woman and it turned out ok. Never!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't know if I am buying from a woman until I get the package and see her name on the package. This has happened to me at least 20 times. I just got a Snap magazine with a Stuporman story from 1940 in the mail today and ALL the pages were separated from the spine!!!!!! The seller had a male Ebay name but on the package, her name was Eileen. Tricked again!

I am all for women in our hobby. I love to see women at conventions but I just want them to be more informed, especially if they are selling.

I've purchased from women lots of comics in the exact condition described. Several times I've gotten comics from women that were undergraded (that is, the comics were undergraded, not the women, though who knows?).

Shouldn't this topic be in Comics General?

He'd get more people on his side there

Most women aren't geared towards the left brain detail that makes things like grading so difficult for them. It's also why fewer women are nuclear physicists, engineers, architects, and so on. It's not because they're "held back"...it's 2014, after all. It's that they have no interest in them.

To most women "why do you have a problem? It's all there, isn't it?" is a pretty standard response. It's why they also think nothing of dropping a "MINT" comic in a manila envelope and sending it off. It never even enters their minds that anyone would care that it might be damaged in shipping, because that damage means nothing to them.

This doesn't only apply to women, it applies to many men...but not anywhere near as often (as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of men on a graded collectibles board like this.)

Thankfully, there are some women who understand it, even if they don't share the same appreciation for it. I have never, in my entire life, seen a single woman EVER spend the amount of time poring over every tiny aspect of a collectible's condition...a thing which men do all day long. To women, it's a grand waste of time...and maybe they're right. ;)

Most women aren't geared towards the left brain detail that makes things like grading so difficult for them.

You do realize CGC has at least one woman grading ? :baiting:

Yes, I am aware of that. Hence, the "most."

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Susan Cicconi, the finest restoration expert in the industry is a woman, as well...obviously.

Most women aren't geared towards the left brain detail that makes things like grading so difficult for them. It's also why fewer women are nuclear physicists, engineers, architects, and so on. It's not because they're "held back"...it's 2014, after all. It's that they have no interest in them.

To most women "why do you have a problem? It's all there, isn't it?" is a pretty standard response. It's why they also think nothing of dropping a "MINT" comic in a manila envelope and sending it off. It never even enters their minds that anyone would care that it might be damaged in shipping, because that damage means nothing to them.

This doesn't only apply to women, it applies to many men...but not anywhere near as often (as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of men on a graded collectibles board like this.)

Thankfully, there are some women who understand it, even if they don't share the same appreciation for it. I have never, in my entire life, seen a single woman EVER spend the amount of time poring over every tiny aspect of a collectible's condition...a thing which men do all day long. To women, it's a grand waste of time...and maybe they're right. ;)

But get a stain on a blouse

Just buy from Sharon (skypinkblu) and she will pull the average (of your sample) way up. In fact, the average male seller will then look bad by comparison.

Indeed.