• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate to sound sexist but.................

76 posts in this topic

Generally speaking, I like women. I also think that I can pack a box better than most women, though I have no solid proof to support that statement.

You can probably pack a box better than most men as well I would think.

Those whose box I've packed have been generous with the praise.

Generally speaking, I like women. I also think that I can pack a box better than most women, though I have no solid proof to support that statement.

"You pack a great box?"

"You pack a great box?"

Ahahah this thread has developed a sense of humour!!

"You pack a great box?"

Ahahah this thread has developed a sense of humour!!

And it's grown a pair.

"You pack a great box?"

I can testify to softness of Bedrock's box packing! :blush:

F27C76F8-02CE-4D64-A466-A55345710AD5_zpstqwassp6.jpg

I love women and have a great amount of respect for them but I must say this: Every single time I buy a comic book or comic magazine from a woman on Ebay, there is something drastic wrong with it. Every time, all the time. I have NEVER EVER gotten a comic from a woman and it turned out ok. Never!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't know if I am buying from a woman until I get the package and see her name on the package. This has happened to me at least 20 times. I just got a Snap magazine with a Stuporman story from 1940 in the mail today and ALL the pages were separated from the spine!!!!!! The seller had a male Ebay name but on the package, her name was Eileen. Tricked again!

I am all for women in our hobby. I love to see women at conventions but I just want them to be more informed, especially if they are selling.

Many sellers on ebay are just con artists. They pretend they didn't know about the defect and people bid up an item that has limited value. Afterwards the excuse is I didn't know, my goodness.

Ask more questions and you can probably cut back on the problem. The honest ones will post your comments and list the page numbers or defects when specifically asked. Good luck...I don't think it is a problem with woman. It is a problem with both genders. You might allow woman to swindle you more because you are trying to be a gentleman.

Here's more "no-sh*t-sherlocking -

Ebay has led to more people having the opportunity to sell goods worldwide. If -hypothetically - more women than men are doing so (for some reason), then the chances of buying a mis-graded comic book from a woman who knows nothing about collecting on Ebay may be statistically higher than from a man who also knows nothing about it. This might then create the impression that women cant grade accurately, or women understand the need to package well. Which might in turn play to latent assumptions about "gender characteristics." It does not follow from this that women cant grade. Most men cant either. Including some dealers unfortunately.

It's not the data that's at fault, but the interpretation may be.

I think this is it. When I win an auction from a seller who from his or her fb and other items listed appears not to be a seasoned comic seller, I always send a message through eBay explaining the importance of condition to collectors and the need to use cardboard to protect the comic in shipping.

I think the number of women selling comics who fall into the category of selling misc stuff is much greater than the number who fall into the category of seasoned comic seller. I would guess this fact -- if it is one! -- may help account for the OP's experience.

"You pack a great box?"

I can testify to softness of Bedrock's box packing!

Was it good for you?

I love women and have a great amount of respect for them but I must say this: Every single time I buy a comic book or comic magazine from a woman on Ebay, there is something drastic wrong with it. Every time, all the time. I have NEVER EVER gotten a comic from a woman and it turned out ok. Never!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't know if I am buying from a woman until I get the package and see her name on the package. This has happened to me at least 20 times. I just got a Snap magazine with a Stuporman story from 1940 in the mail today and ALL the pages were separated from the spine!!!!!! The seller had a male Ebay name but on the package, her name was Eileen. Tricked again!

I am all for women in our hobby. I love to see women at conventions but I just want them to be more informed, especially if they are selling.

THIS ... :golfclap:

"You pack a great box?"

Was it good for you?

Speed bumps notwithstanding, Charmin soft...

Charmin-Ultra-Strong.jpg

"You pack a great box?"

I can testify to softness of Bedrock's box packing! :blush:

Indeed,filled with TLC.

"You pack a great box?"

Was it good for you?

Speed bumps notwithstanding, Charmin soft...

Charmin-Ultra-Strong.jpg

Ouch!

My view, for what it is worth? An enlightened society celebrates diversity in all it's guises. But show me a truly enlightened society.

Not at all, Michael. Diversity is not something good per se. It can just be as much good or bad as uniformity. A hypotetically "enlightened" society would not recognize just the value of an experience subjectively, but objectively as well.

Ah, and I prefered Alanna – I never thought you were a woman. :)

I miss Fay… :(

Hi Claudio! Sorry, I missed this earlier.

I think diversity is better than uniformity because diversity cannot be imposed - or it isn't really diversity but the pretense of it.

Uniformity leads to a narrowing of choices and a failure of nerve.

An enlightened society would recognize its own contradictions.

Unfortunately, the literal translation of the word utopia is "nowhere" or - if you like - "no such place."

Who's Fay?