• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not usually a fan of recreations . . .

14 posts in this topic

There are some cool recreation artists out there. For example, in his recreations and other commissions, Michael Maikowsky does great work channeling John Buscema.

The one thing I do not like though is when you have to look really carefully at a piece to see that it is a recreation. In order to distinguish a recreation from the original art, it should be very apparent that it is a recreation.

Gary Martin has posted some amazing recreations. So amazing that I'm now on his commission list. :golfclap:

I concur 100% Mr NSN, I've got a couple of recreations by Gary and he's nailed every one of them. I can't recommend him highly enough, great guy to deal with as well.

The images he's completed for me can be seen here http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=153170 if you'd like to see the kind of quality work you'll receive :)

The one thing I do not like though is when you have to look really carefully at a piece to see that it is a recreation. In order to distinguish a recreation from the original art, it should be very apparent that it is a recreation.

I agree. The artist should make some part of the piece different from the original. At the very least sign it ("Joe Artist" after "Other Artist")

hazelwood is doing some nice work. but he is inking a blueline over Kirby pencils. so in a way in not a recreation cause its still Kirby. now if he did the original pencils in a Kirby style manner and then inked it. it would then be a recreation then. not if your just inking ones pencils or bluelines. then your just an an inker. that,s just my take from being an artist.

larry;]

hazelwood is doing some nice work. but he is inking a blueline over Kirby pencils. so in a way in not a recreation cause its still Kirby. now if he did the original pencils in a Kirby style manner and then inked it. it would then be a recreation then. not if your just inking ones pencils or bluelines. then your just an an inker. that,s just my take from being an artist.

larry;]

Not quite . . . there are no Kirby pencils. He's recreating (for the most part) covers based on the printed comic-book images.

Gary Martin has posted some amazing recreations. So amazing that I'm now on his commission list. :golfclap:

I concur 100% Mr NSN, I've got a couple of recreations by Gary and he's nailed every one of them. I can't recommend him highly enough, great guy to deal with as well.

The images he's completed for me can be seen here http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=153170 if you'd like to see the kind of quality work you'll receive :)

I just commission Gary, his really talented. :applause:

I think having a market for exact or very close recreations is gonna end in tears for everyone involved.

No matter what the intention of the recreation artist or commissioner, at some point in the future they'll be purposely or accidentally passed on as something they're not. Might be within a couple years, might be in a couple decades, it matters not. It will happen.

A large or significant part of the artwork needs to differ from the original that's in plain view for all to see. And not just a written 'after...' notation or whatever.

JMHO