• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any clue on who won this Ha auction back in 2005?

26 posts in this topic

I guess I don't stand a chance, but thought I could give it a try.

The HA "MOTO" program staff were kind enough to intermediate. I confirmed the owner still has this, and (unfortunately) he doesn't want to break the lot. But (obviously) HA won't disclose his identity. I only wanted 1 or 2 pages, but anyway I made an offer. Owner rejected, and I made two more offers that (I think) are quite reasonable for this (kinda weak and only interesting for nostalgia reasons) art. But they were rejected too :(

I'd love to talk with the owner, try to learn how much is he expecting to earn with it, see if there's any trade+cash options that could work... But again; HA cannot tell me his identity. Actually they can't even ask him if he agrees to... since they have to intermediate in order to keep their share (which is totally logical, don't get me wrong).

So, ¿any clues? ¿Are you (or do you know) the owner? Any hint will be appreciated!

Marc

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/adrian-gonzales-gremlins-movie-adaptation-panel-page-original-art-group-of-64-golden-books-1984-writer-roger-mckenzie-64-items-/a/15102-17376.s

You actually did quite well getting this far in my opinion. I would just suggest that the owner may not think of the art in terms of "how much is he expecting to earn with it" and may enjoy ownership for less mercenary reasons.

Hi Bird, thanks for your thoughts on this.

I also thought that at one point... But his words (since HA staff forwarded his reply to me) didn't sound like that... He said something like "yes, this lot is for sale, feel free to make an offer, but I don't want to break the lot by selling individual pages". Weird.

When I first used HA intermediation, I asked him to sell me just 2 pages. I was offering like 200 or 300 usd for those pages. Which is actually way above their price... Who knows. Maybe he thought he could get 150x64 (which is asolutely impossible, of course) (at least for the next... like... 50 years xD).

That's basically why I wanted to talk with him, and see what his intentions are. Well, guess I'm gonna have to choose between just forgetting about it, or trying to raise the bid a little bit more... which totally kills me :)

I also thought that at one point... But his words (since HA staff forwarded his reply to me) didn't sound like that... He said something like "yes, this lot is for sale, feel free to make an offer, but I don't want to break the lot by selling individual pages". Weird.

This is the norm though - owning a full book is a pretty neat thing, with the pages considerably more valuable in most eyes if they stay together. The moment he or she sells a page or two to you he goes from having an entire 64 page book that could be packaged nicely for sale or trade to a small some of money and 62 individual pages.

Some collectors see themselves as the "caretakers" of the art as well - he might believe it to be a travesty to break up a book to sell a handful of pages. If this is their belief, I have to agree with the owner on this point. I might add, that I'm not sure I would even *ask* a collector to break up a book just to sell a couple pages - it's bad form IMO.

Traditionally, your initial post is probably better suited for the Original Comic Art board and not the Original Comic Art Marketplace - you might want to move it there.

When I first used HA intermediation, I asked him to sell me just 2 pages. I was offering like 200 or 300 usd for those pages. Which is actually way above their price... Who knows. Maybe he thought he could get 150x64 (which is asolutely impossible, of course) (at least for the next... like... 50 years xD).

That's basically why I wanted to talk with him, and see what his intentions are. Well, guess I'm gonna have to choose between just forgetting about it, or trying to raise the bid a little bit more... which totally kills me :)

I'm really confused now. HA's site says he has received an offer of $1500. That wasn't you?

I'm really confused now. HA's site says he has received an offer of $1500. That wasn't you?

I am too. I believe he mentioned making an offer on the entire lot via HA in a comicart-L post, so that might be him.

Yeah, that was me :) I offered something around 200 or 300 for those single pages before that full bid, through the site's staff. And I'm not sure on this, but I think 1500 was a good offer... he would have had it's value multiplied x4 in ten years...

I know the owner might just want to keep the book together for value and/or caretaking issues, and I totally understand and respect it. But after all, if he told me that an offer for the lot would be welcome... then that's not a caretaking issue... he knows I'm gonna sell it's pieces...

I mean; in terms of value; if you find the right buyer, he might be willing to pay way more for the whole book... but then again, I don't think such buyer exists when it comes to this book in particular. If it's only a matter of value, I think he'd make more from selling individual pages. There's probably a good bunch of people out there like me, who'd be happy to pay one or two hundred $ for nostalgia reasons. But ¿is there any collector willing to pay several thousands for this book in particular?

In terms of caretaking, I guess it's different. Obviously the book's gonna we better taken care of if it's all together (unless there's a fire or a flood, then it's all gone). But selling individually has it's point too; allowing lovers of that work keeping a piece of it.... Not sure which option I'd consider better in terms of oa collecting... e.g. Now no one can even see the book's art, except for those 4 pages featured at HA's.

I never actually thought about it before, but if I finally buy it, keep my 2 pages (personal background note; the one's my brother used to copy for me when we were kids), and sell the rest to other collectors... ¿Am I doing a bad thing for the collecting community? ¿Or a good thing?... Man, I'm not sure...

Ok I'll go for a coffee and think about it :)

Just to let you know, the owner may not want to sell to you if you do plan on splitting it up, no matter the price.

I don't know who he / she is, but I know some people will only sell a complete story if you promise to keep it together.

I just think your offer is low.

$1500 may seem like a lot, but it's really only about $23.50 per page. What he paid isn't really relevant, since it was 10 years ago and a lot has changed in the market since then.

I'm not sure what the pages would go for, since movie adaptations aren't really the most desirable stuff, but if I'm the seller, I'd rather take my chances on the open market than sell for $23 a page minus Heritage's commission.

64 is a lot of pages - even at $50 a page, that works out to $3200 for the book. I think you're going to have to offer AT LEAST $2500 to get it, maybe $3K.

Hey Pete; don't think this is the case... I actually told him what my intentions were on one of these HA staff intermediating messages, so he knows... But invited me to make an offer.

Yeah Solar, I think you could be right. That's in part, why I like to check what people around here thinks about the offer. I think he might be expecting more, but I don't know...

If you have seen the book, some of the pages are very, very weak and feature nothing interesting. I doubt those pages would get sold alone... Maybe in packs with other pages. There's also a ton of pages that could sell at 50 or 60... And some (very few) could reach 90 or 100. (This is only my opinion, and I'm anything but an expert).

So yeah, I'd understand 2000, maybe even a little more... But who's gonna want this one for such amount?

And since i'm on it, I'd like to know your opinion on something; if you sell the book as a whole (this kind of book)... The final price per page should be rated lower than if you sell individually, ¿shouldn't it?... I mean... Or am I wrong and it's all the contrary? I'm not sure about this, with this kind of book...

And since i'm on it, I'd like to know your opinion on something; if you sell the book as a whole (this kind of book)... The final price per page should be rated lower than if you sell individually, ¿shouldn't it?... I mean... Or am I wrong and it's all the contrary? I'm not sure about this, with this kind of book...

There is no set answer. Some place a premium, meaning they pay MORE,for something complete. And average is only one way to measure things - a poor one for a 64 page book in my opinion. Say the book sold individually would sell for about $3200 (that seemed fair in my mind, see below), that would average out to $50 a page. From your description of the art in this book, that would be fair for about 50-75% of the pages, maybe a little undervalued even (you said $50-$60). But for 25-50% of the pages that $50 average would be wildly off. 10 pages may only get $8-$10 each while 10 pages may get $75-$100 (or even $110 on occasion?).

Simply put, selling art is about emotion as much as anything else. Anytime you as a buyer think you are evaluating the art on the same terms as the current owner, especially if the art is listed NFS, you are being delusional. I own my art, and I will sell it at whatever prices I decide, if at all. What I paid is information that you may have but it is irrelevant to most owners. that was the price on that day at that time. Everything changes to some extent or another from that point on. You would be best suited to assume nothing, inquire respectfully, and generally keep the math to yourself. The market for each artist has tremendous variability, you cannot talk logically about market trends for all artists over the last 20 years or whatever without loosing a great deal of important information in the process.

Dem's my thoughts. Going to Hawaii tomorrow (kids guarding the art, pray for me) so that is too much time on here already

Good luck! Back to back hurricanes, even if they are gone by the time you land I'm not what kind of shape the island will be in and if the T-Rex will still be contained inside its enclosure...

You mean I might run into something like this? Awesome!

c-fantasticfour1.JPG

Good luck! Back to back hurricanes, even if they are gone by the time you land I'm not what kind of shape the island will be in and if the T-Rex will still be contained inside its enclosure...

You mean I might run into something like this? Awesome!

c-fantasticfour1.JPG

Wow we'd you get that scan. I am picking that book up on Sunday from some kid who listed it for sale cheap.