• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Photos? Is this for real or...

85 posts in this topic

CGC needs to test run a product,who else would they team with but one of their bigger submitters?

For those who weren't around in the beginning,CGC went to a retailer summit and offered FREE slabbings to all present,just to get the ball rolling.

It clearly states in JPs ad that these are prototypes so obviously they are still in the R+D stage of this project. I understand how some of the members here feel this is somehow yet another example of an unfair playing field.Perhaps those members should find their own sand-box to play in.

I ,too, am shocked that CGC is out to try to make money,and would consider expanding their product line without consulting with their loyal fans and groupies.I suggest you buy all of the product you can,and burn it. That should teach them a lesson,eh?

Save your person_without_enough_empathyy, childish, passive-aggressive snipes, Shad. I'm done arguing with stupid people.

Does that mean that we might see your long-awaited positive contribution to a discussion,or would that be asking too much? Its sooo much easier to just slam everything in sight,isn't it?

I suppose I can answer your question without actually "arguing" with you, so here goes:

I don't slam everything in sight.

I guess somewhere there is a message board full of photo collecting geeks arguing about the credentials of the individuals grading these pic's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just can't wait to see what the fee is to have a photo "graded". 27_laughing.gif

I guess somewhere there is a message board full of photo collecting geeks arguing about the credentials of the individuals grading these pic's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure...and wait'll they hear about pressing!! I'm not kidding either as Steve said Chris would be performing work on all kinds of paper collectibles, not just comics. frown.gif

3. EXCLUSIVE REMEDY: In the event that a subsequent purchaser of a photograph contained in a CGC protective holder bearing the words "Vintage Photograph" believes the photograph not to be authentic, such person may submit the photograph to CGC and purchase CGC's Authentication Review services. If the photograph is determined under such review by CGC not to be authentic, the CGC shall pay to such subsequent purchaser an amount equal to the difference between (a) the lower of (i) the submitter's purchase price for the photograph and (ii) the fair market value for the photograph if the photograph were authentic, and (b) the current market value of the photograph based upon what CGC believes, in its sold opinion, to be reliable current market information. CGC's subjective determination of fair market value and current market value shall be binding on all parties.

I don't get it. They don't authenticate the photo at the time of encapsulation?

3. EXCLUSIVE REMEDY: In the event that a subsequent purchaser of a photograph contained in a CGC protective holder bearing the words "Vintage Photograph" believes the photograph not to be authentic, such person may submit the photograph to CGC and purchase CGC's Authentication Review services. If the photograph is determined under such review by CGC not to be authentic, the CGC shall pay to such subsequent purchaser an amount equal to the difference between (a) the lower of (i) the submitter's purchase price for the photograph and (ii) the fair market value for the photograph if the photograph were authentic, and (b) the current market value of the photograph based upon what CGC believes, in its sold opinion, to be reliable current market information. CGC's subjective determination of fair market value and current market value shall be binding on all parties.

I don't get it. They don't authenticate the photo at the time of encapsulation?

Sounds like an appeal process that the submitter would have to pay for. For example, if something comes up in the future that throws into doubt the original determination, the submitter can present that information to CGC for review. As opposed to comics, it seems that the value of this service is 95% in authentication, and 5% in grade.

CGC needs to test run a product,who else would they team with but one of their bigger submitters?

For those who weren't around in the beginning,CGC went to a retailer summit and offered FREE slabbings to all present,just to get the ball rolling.

It clearly states in JPs ad that these are prototypes so obviously they are still in the R+D stage of this project. I understand how some of the members here feel this is somehow yet another example of an unfair playing field.Perhaps those members should find their own sand-box to play in.

I ,too, am shocked that CGC is out to try to make money,and would consider expanding their product line without consulting with their loyal fans and groupies.I suggest you buy all of the product you can,and burn it. That should teach them a lesson,eh?

Save your person_without_enough_empathyy, childish, passive-aggressive snipes, Shad. I'm done arguing with stupid people.

Why should he save them when that's all you post?

Question I have is why is it graded? If it is just sealed in a floppy mylar holder.

Would that not lend itself to being folded, bent, damaged?

Hence making the grade on the label obsolete?

I know it is meant to go in a 3 ring binder.. but why grade it, and seal the label if the photo can be bent WHILE in the holder?

I would like to see one.. is it more solid then it appears in the scan?

Ze-

Question I have is why is it graded? If it is just sealed in a floppy mylar holder.

Would that not lend itself to being folded, bent, damaged?

Hence making the grade on the label obsolete?

I know it is meant to go in a 3 ring binder.. but why grade it, and seal the label if the photo can be bent WHILE in the holder?

I would like to see one.. is it more solid then it appears in the scan?

Ze-

As opposed to comics, it seems that the value of this service is 95% in the authentication/certification part of it, and 5% in grade part of it.

Yeah I hear ya.. but what about when an Ebayer gets the photo in the mail , after a winning a small bidding war to buy a PERFECT/MINT Bogart photo.. only to find it is creased down the middle when he opens his priority box.

It is bound to happen to ANYTHING collectable that is graded.

Ze-

2. How intimately involved in this endeavor is JP's The Mint? Why is he getting the first crack at all this? Has anybody seen him buying up huge lots of vintage photos?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Given the historical precendent set by massive price spikes in slabbed (vs raw) comic books, it certainly would be advantageous for anyone to know well in advance what the next slabbed collectible would be. Is there any doubt that as soon as CGC announced they would slab regular magazines, hordes of hopeful profiteers raided every possible venue for "NM" copies of old Playboys, Sports Illustrateds, etc.

That said, the *real* insiders knew long before any public announcement and certainly went to work buying up as many NM lots as they could.

In a regulated industry, this would be called "insider trading."

I just hope they don't get into the business of authenticating autographs. It would end up ruining what reputation they have left. Another big company, PSA, fell into that trap and is regularly "authenticating" known machine signed signatures, preprints, etc. Their "authentications" are almost worthless. They are the laughing stock of the autograph collecting hobby.

Steve B. has been telling EVERYONE who talks to him at dinners or shows,for the past year,

that hi-grade mags like SI or Playboy will most likely take a severe spike once CGc starts grading them. I don't think it's insider trading when the insiders tell Everyone.

Does that mean that we might see your long-awaited positive contribution to a discussion,or would that be asking too much? Its sooo much easier to just slam everything in sight,isn't it?

I suppose I can answer your question without actually "arguing" with you, so here goes:

I don't slam everything in sight.

Not to start a war but between your endless quote flames,calling CGC and Lighthouse thieves,Calling SteveB. a coward because you didn't like his answer and taking Supa to task for having his account hi-jacked,I really don't see you posting much else lately.