• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arch has spoken!

210 posts in this topic

Am I to understand from that announcement that the mods also monitor our PMs? That's a bit disturbing.

they dont monitor them because it would take man power, but they can choose to view any PM at any time. They can also likely flag key words to have PMs flagged for review, as well as likely being able to search PMs for words en masse.

It's like google/NSA, they can see anything they want, whenever they want, but dont until you give them a reason.

As it says at the bottom of the page:

"powered by UBB.threads"

https://www.ubbcentral.com/

that would be the software used for the forums, if you really want to know what they can or can't do, that's the place to find out. But having used and run many forums over the years, I would say, presume the Board Managers have access to everything except possibly your password (if its encrypted, or salted+encrypted).

Some boards, even your password is accessible to those with admin level privileges (a good reason to not use the same password on boards as you use for other things like banking and email).

Anyone else see the title of this thread and instantly remember these?

b423aefb1096321f.gif

:applause:

Damn you. I actually forgot about that, the McDLT and the McLean - which were some of the greatest Mickey D burgers of all time.

Give me a McLean and the movie Sucker Punch, and you've got two of the greatest things of all time.

does this mean if I send pictures of wang to other members it will be moderated? nuts

DanceHallDays_cover.jpghm

So now I have a question...

When a very high profile auction house advertises mega key high profile books on their site in a competitors product, can that be seen as an endorsement of that competitor's product considering the high profile nature of the book?

As a customer, I give pause and now weigh options when it comes to grading services when I see a major auction house or a high profile dealer stocking their inventory with mega keys in a competitors' holder. If I start seeing the major dealers sending their highest profile books to the competition it leads me to believe that maybe I should be doing the same.

Just saying... :whistle::fear:

Why are people so concerned with CGC reading PMs?

Every single one of your employers can read your emails (and probably do it from time to time). We know this. It's accepted when you sign up to work there.

It's THEIR forum. It's THEIR website. It's THEIR systems and software.

I doubt they actively do it either, I imagine it's just if they have a good reason too.

So now I have a question...

When a very high profile auction house advertises mega key high profile books on their site in a competitors product, can that be seen as an endorsement of that competitor's product considering the high profile nature of the book?

As a customer, I give pause and now weigh options when it comes to grading services when I see a major auction house or a high profile dealer stocking their inventory with mega keys in a competitors' holder. If I start seeing the major dealers sending their highest profile books to the competition it leads me to believe that maybe I should be doing the same.

Just saying... :whistle::fear:

The answer is yes!

Every single one of your employers can read your emails (and probably do it from time to time). We know this. It's accepted when you sign up to work there.

I doubt they actively do it either, I imagine it's just if they have a good reason too.

I think that people are troubled by the fact that they can read PM's because there is the belief that certain users are also moderators. So let's take a look at two scenarios where that power can be misused. This does not mean that this happens, or that I believe this happens. This is how this specific power could be misused.

1 - Make believe you can read PM's. There is a book in the marketplace that you are interested in that the seller is fielding offers for. You want the book, but do not want to offer too much more than anyone else. Simply go into the seller's PM box to gauge interest and offers before you make your own. (Or anything along those lines)

2 - You and I do not get along. You use your PM review power to go through my PM's to see if there is anything there that you could use against me.

Again, this is not to say that this happens or that I believe that this happens. These are two scenarios where I could see other board members to be disconcerted with.

I think that people are troubled by the fact that they can read PM's because there is the belief that certain users are also moderators. So let's take a look at two scenarios where that power can be misused. This does not mean that this happens, or that I believe this happens. This is how this specific power could be misused.

1 - Make believe you can read PM's. There is a book in the marketplace that you are interested in that the seller is fielding offers for. You want the book, but do not want to offer too much more than anyone else. Simply go into the seller's PM box to gauge interest and offers before you make your own. (Or anything along those lines)

2 - You and I do not get along. You use your PM review power to go through my PM's to see if there is anything there that you could use against me.

Again, this is not to say that this happens or that I believe that this happens. These are two scenarios where I could see other board members to be disconcerted with.

Go to the top of the screen and click on "User List." Click "All" to list all users. Click "Status" to sort by status. Scroll down below the obvious administrators and see who is set as a Moderator. I recognized two names as discussion members. It's all right there, hope this doesn't distress anyone too much... :fear:

Am I to understand from that announcement that the mods also monitor our PMs? That's a bit disturbing.

It's probably the same thing as government monitoring of emails, texts and phone calls: they probably just flag certain keywords and review them. If CGC is going to monitor my PMs, all I ask is that they don't turn their information over to my wife - who would kill me if she knew what I spent on comic deals.

DITTO!

Yes!

I'm more concerned that one of us may accidentally have a vault book up on our website or eBay and we put a link to that in our signature or the dealer thread and poof you get a strike after they review your sales history.

It would be very interesting if it came that far.

Since most dealers have a majority of CGC over other guys, I think CGC should allow it, but again, thats my opinion.

• Administrator

No. We don't. We will (and by that I mean only an admin, not a regular moderator) in select cases and by the REQUEST of a user, go into their PM inbox to verify a violation of policy.

So, for example, Member A sends physical threats to member B via PM. Member B asks us to go in to their inbox, confirm this is happening, and take action. I will do that on request. We will not in this situation go into Member A's inbox, as member B has no right to request that action.

The language here about PMs was included because it was brought up that a member here was bulk PMing users to promote something. If we are made aware of that kind of spam by a user, we will stop it.