• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you want out of a Podcast?

28 posts in this topic

Straight forward question. The ones I'm familiar with are longer (at least an hour) and mainly discuss new releases. My wife and I are going to start a podcast, just for fun, see what happens. Wanted to ask the community what they would like.

To mix it up we were thinking of only reviewing a couple new books, then going with an older review. Think Hush, Killing Joke, Infinity Gauntlet, etc. something that's been around. Also wanted to review a show, Arrow, Flash, Shield, etc, and a movie. I may throw in some stuff for collectors.

What do you guys think? What would you want to listen to?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be consistent. I listened to a comic podcast that discussed weekly stuff. It got so dreadfully monotonous that I had to stop listening.

I'd do fun segments like a gameshow or headlines segment.

You should also try to get guests. Even if they aren't anyone famous. I'd try and have one a show.

Don't be afraid to go off on tangents, but try not to ramble.

I listen to a ton of podcasts and would gladly give yours a listen.

I think something that would work would be discussing what are hot keys, new movie stuff pertainting to comics, maybe a hot new comic but not to much with moderns it can become redundant, discuss one older classic movie example for me would be an older Steven king flick silver bullet or even discuss something else like from dusk till dawn and what made these movies popular. You could always talk about new keys you got and how you get your wife to go along with you buying big keys. Just fruit for though. Sounds like a good idea though.

I listened to a comic podcast once where they literally went thru previews page by page. Effing boring. My favorite comic podcast in iFanboy. While it is just a review show, the cast has a lot of fun with each other, and it's like listening to a group of friends talk about comics, which is great.

Whatever you do, make sure that your sound quality is good. When the sound quality is poor, it doesn't matter how good your content is. If it sounds like you are recording in a tunnel, people will stop listening.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We'll be recording to tonight. Gonna have segments on new and old comics, and shows/movies adapted from comics.

I'll post the link when it's up, would love for you to give it a try, let us know what you think, likes and dislikes.

Thanks again!!

DRAMA

It's gotta have drama otherwise, why listen

People arguing passionately about stuff is always good-that's why talk radio is so popular

Bring on a guest that loves Liefeld and watch the fireworks

DRAMA

People arguing passionately about stuff is always good-that's why talk radio is so popular

We'll bring you on to advocate for Liefeld!

DRAMA

We'll bring you on to advocate for Liefeld!

I can debate any position-I'll claim he must be good because his books had a higher print run than any other artist, that his OA sells for large sums, that he single handedly created more characters than stan lee and a bunch of other BS

When my opponent objects, I'll merely accuse him of being jealous. If they say he doesn't draw feet I'll state yeah-that's what I read comics for-to look at the feet! If they bring up Cap's chest I'll say ever seen the tiny head much--loved artists draw on the HULK?

I got this

I enjoy DC Noise and the Rivedale Podcast, the first because the commentators are informative and entertaining(IMO), the second because there's no other Archie related podcast out there. Any podcast I listen to has to do more with the commentator than the content with all being said. I still listen to Derrick Coward despite not reading most of the same books he talks about.

DRAMA

+1

Get two or more on with one (side) arguing that the movie craze is the best thing ever for comics and the other (side) insisting it's the start of the great crash.

Have it end up with somebody throwing a chair.

I'd watch that.

Yes

Conflict is the essence of storytelling, and that applies to podcasts too.

No drama no listeners

There's no perfect comics podcast out there, they all have their strengths and weaknesses in my opinion.

11 O Clock Comics does a good job of discussing all aspects of comics, from the art to the content and creators. Downside= not crazy about the Jersey ghetto lingo, seems forced.

iFanboy does a good job keeping things on track and they cover a lot of books in a short time. Downside= Conner. I quit listening because that guy is such a pompous arrogant tool bag. Very off putting personality and you can hardly understand him.

Talking Comics does a good job of providing interesting personalities. Downside= it's a show called Talking Comics and they don't talk much about comics, mostly movies or old CBR news. The main host is blatantly more of a film enthusiast than a comic enthusiast and he doesn't hide it well.

That's my 2c for the main iTunes search results. Hopefully you can use that feedback to help with your show.

We are doing episode 2 tomorrow. Please post any questions you want answered. We may do a little listener question corner. Also please let me know if you'd like to remain anonymous or if you want your name/user id mentioned.

If you haven checked out episode 1. please do, It's boats of fun If I say so myself. The link is here:

Thanks for the support everyone. This is really helping us keep our sanity especially after what happened to our dog. (Check out 1000NicePeople link below)

I have to say that I'm pretty tired of these hour long podcast reviews and commentaries. I'd actually be more apt to watch something under 20 minutes. It's not like there are commercial breaks or anything. Pick 2 or 3 current titles or something relevant to rumored movies, and discuss.

Post in the description which comics you're discussing. It will help people decide if it is a podcast they will be interested in. Several short podcasts would once again be better so the listener doesn't have to search through 60 minutes of podcast to find the 2 minutes that they feel are relevant to their interests.

I sat through that whole hour long pilot podcast and despite my hopes, there wasn't a single mention of Marvel's best superhero ever; Woodgod. :kidaround:

Very disappointed.

-Terry