• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 GOTG sells for 10k. wow

99 posts in this topic

All of the so-called "GotG books (with the possible exception of IM55, if you even want to include that one), have a whiff of fraud, market manipulation and speculation gone nuts. There are a lot of people who are going to lose a lot of money on these books.

You mean this (not Bronze, I know, but relevant to this thread) auction was not legit? I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find out that there is shill bidding going on on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MINT-Marvel-Comics-1990-FREE-SHIPPING-/321483983419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=qZTtYX1lDtoy0HOKfNJAGD2n7LI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

To all n00bs, lurkers and the feeble minded - questioning someone's motives for promoting a book or for trumpeting the "value" or the "trends" of a sale is not bullying. It is trying to determine whether there is real logic behind the opinion, or whether it is a thinly veneered pump and dump. This place has become a Mos Eisley for pump and dumpers.

Buy what you like, do your homework, and remember that faceless people on the Internet have agendas too. Frankie takes a lot of bullets for situations like this, but if he opens up one set of eyes, it is worth it.

This statement was obviously intended to include me, not me solely, but I would like to respond to it.

I do understand what you are saying Seanfingh. I suppose you could call me a lurker, I registered in 2007 and only have a few hundred posts, but I just think of myself as quiet, normally. The other two adjectives while they may describe some, that's not me.

I responded to how Frankie approached that fellow because it just didn't set right with me. It came across as nasty, without needing to be. There are other ways to say what he said without being that way. How about " well I still don't believe you, sorry" Instead he chose the smart, nasty approach, which bothered me enough to make a rare post. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe he ( and apparently you ) have just seen too many lies in this industry to believe anyone anymore, either way I felt like I needed to say something , so I did.

I've seen the pump and dumpers in all sections of this board, modern is really bad with it. That doesn't mean anyone talking positive about a book is doing this, and I think its counterproductive to be nasty to people in order to determine their true motives. The idea that acting this way is good if it opens even one set of eyes is a little disturbing , at least to me. Surely there is a better way.

The main conversation in this thread was about the 10k sale, which from what I've read most everyone agrees its too high, to what degree is different from person to person it seems. What gets twisted up in that conversation is the validity of the book at all. Just because I personally believe, and others believe that MSH 18 is a very important GOTG book, doesn't mean I , or others agree with or are defending the 10k sale. Please don't mix those two different things up. If you come here and trash a book completely because of an absurd sale, people who like the book, for whatever reason, will defend it. That doesn't mean they are defending that single sale of the book. I think if you re-read some of these posts you will see that.

I can see why some will say this book isn't important, different characters et cetera. However, myself and others should be allowed to disagree with that without being attacked and our personal integrity questioned. I didn't see any blatant pumping of this book. Just people who like it defending the book in general. As I stated earlier I had a few raw copies I dug out and sold off when the movie was announced, I just didn't believe they could make it work, so I sold 'em. I have no dog in this race. Just an opinion that apparently means I am vested and up to no good.

Edit: Made my CGC account in late 2007, didn't register on the boards until 2009 ( pretty sure that's how it went anyways )

Edit2: Just wanted to add one thing about the rarity of this book. Most Marvel books from this era had similar print runs, none of them are rare. Calling one rare and others common is pretty silly. I think the correct thing would be to say some books from this era were never cared about, so they tend to be found in groups and become more readily available, MSH 18 defiantly falls into this category, there will be a plentiful supply of this book over the next few months for sure. More popular books from this era? Spread out across the globe, harder to find on the market, but still similar print runs.

People are comparing true supply to current availability, which is dangerous ( this ties directly into the census conversation ) While many of the popular books were eventually thrown away and existing copies lower grade from being read, the unpopular books had covers torn off, were thrown away for credit. Attrition surely set in on the groups of these unpopular books, many of which were not bagged and boarded, sat in long boxes for decades with degrading paper quality and a high chance of damage. All in all, I think most books from this era all have similar " True Supply" The only difference is where they are, and how fast they can come to market ( one person selling a hundred copies, VS 100 people selling 1 copy each )

How did it exactly come across as nasty? The good luck with your sale comment? :popcorn:

To all n00bs, lurkers and the feeble minded - questioning someone's motives for promoting a book or for trumpeting the "value" or the "trends" of a sale is not bullying. It is trying to determine whether there is real logic behind the opinion, or whether it is a thinly veneered pump and dump. This place has become a Mos Eisley for pump and dumpers.

Buy what you like, do your homework, and remember that faceless people on the Internet have agendas too. Frankie takes a lot of bullets for situations like this, but if he opens up one set of eyes, it is worth it.

This statement was obviously intended to include me, not me solely, but I would like to respond to it.

I do understand what you are saying Seanfingh. I suppose you could call me a lurker, I registered in 2007 and only have a few hundred posts, but I just think of myself as quiet, normally. The other two adjectives while they may describe some, that's not me.

I responded to how Frankie approached that fellow because it just didn't set right with me. It came across as nasty, without needing to be. There are other ways to say what he said without being that way. How about " well I still don't believe you, sorry" Instead he chose the smart, nasty approach, which bothered me enough to make a rare post. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe he ( and apparently you ) have just seen too many lies in this industry to believe anyone anymore, either way I felt like I needed to say something , so I did.

I've seen the pump and dumpers in all sections of this board, modern is really bad with it. That doesn't mean anyone talking positive about a book is doing this, and I think its counterproductive to be nasty to people in order to determine their true motives. The idea that acting this way is good if it opens even one set of eyes is a little disturbing , at least to me. Surely there is a better way.

The main conversation in this thread was about the 10k sale, which from what I've read most everyone agrees its too high, to what degree is different from person to person it seems. What gets twisted up in that conversation is the validity of the book at all. Just because I personally believe, and others believe that MSH 18 is a very important GOTG book, doesn't mean I , or others agree with or are defending the 10k sale. Please don't mix those two different things up. If you come here and trash a book completely because of an absurd sale, people who like the book, for whatever reason, will defend it. That doesn't mean they are defending that single sale of the book. I think if you re-read some of these posts you will see that.

I can see why some will say this book isn't important, different characters et cetera. However, myself and others should be allowed to disagree with that without being attacked and our personal integrity questioned. I didn't see any blatant pumping of this book. Just people who like it defending the book in general. As I stated earlier I had a few raw copies I dug out and sold off when the movie was announced, I just didn't believe they could make it work, so I sold 'em. I have no dog in this race. Just an opinion that apparently means I am vested and up to no good.

Edit: Made my CGC account in late 2007, didn't register on the boards until 2009 ( pretty sure that's how it went anyways )

Edit2: Just wanted to add one thing about the rarity of this book. Most Marvel books from this era had similar print runs, none of them are rare. Calling one rare and others common is pretty silly. I think the correct thing would be to say some books from this era were never cared about, so they tend to be found in groups and become more readily available, MSH 18 defiantly falls into this category, there will be a plentiful supply of this book over the next few months for sure. More popular books from this era? Spread out across the globe, harder to find on the market, but still similar print runs.

People are comparing true supply to current availability, which is dangerous ( this ties directly into the census conversation ) While many of the popular books were eventually thrown away and existing copies lower grade from being read, the unpopular books had covers torn off, were thrown away for credit. Attrition surely set in on the groups of these unpopular books, many of which were not bagged and boarded, sat in long boxes for decades with degrading paper quality and a high chance of damage. All in all, I think most books from this era all have similar " True Supply" The only difference is where they are, and how fast they can come to market ( one person selling a hundred copies, VS 100 people selling 1 copy each )

How did it exactly come across as nasty? The good luck with your sale comment? :popcorn:

Obviously its hard to determine what someone's intent is when reading text on the internet. It's not like we can see each others facial expressions to help determine how serious we are. Maybe nasty is too strong of a word.

To answer your question, yeah that was a large part of it. I read your comments as condescending, and passive aggressive. I don't know why, but I decided to respond and I honestly was pretty rude in my response, which looking back is a little hypocritical. At the time I had the taste your own medicine attitude, which I shouldn't have had.

If what Sean said is true and you approach people the way you do because of the massive influx in flippers, pump n dumpers and the like, I understand it in part, just please try and remember that there are still plenty of good people out there that do indeed collect what they like and just fancy different books than you, and they may end up here having conversations with you. I'm not saying quit calling people out, I'm saying a little more tact will go a long way, considering you could be wrong about the persons intentions.

I think we can both agree this whole thing is bigger than it needs to be. It prolly wouldn't hurt to let it go and talk about the insane 10K sale ( or not sale ) and how important and valuable or not this book really is.

For precision’s sake, the Guardians of the Galaxy are from the 31st century of a possible future of the Marvel universe. The concept of "alternate universes" was alien to Marvel until bad writing made a practice out of the time travel storylines and banalized and leveled the idea to the poorest extreme, emptying most of the reflections (and of the artistic value) of the stories.

So yes, generally speaking they have nothing to do with Marvel is doing now, but this goes for everything they have been doing in late years, as I never get tired to repeat.

They may use Vance Astro, or Starhawk, but they are just not Vance Astro and Starhawk as the Marvel Age delineated them.

True.

And if alternate universes make the characters and teams completely unrelated then I guess Action 1 is only the first appearance of Superman earth 1? And Superman earth 2 is a completely unrelated character that has nothing to do with the other? And so on..and on..

And Yondo?

The two GOTG books are different characters with entirely different premises. Superman is the same character for the most part. Attempting to compare this to Avenger and now Superman... :facepalm:

I now have to ask, have you even read these GOTG comics? Anybody who has can clearly tell they are not related.

The original GOTG book is important, but not due to the hype of the movie. If you are a fan of those characters and that 31st century storyline, I absolutely agree that book would be important. I can even seem some interest in it perhaps because of it being an inspiration for the current GOTG comic. (Marvel - "Hey, we have this Guardians of the Galaxy title just collecting dust. Let's come up with a new book that reuses that title.") Honestly, right now, the title is the extent of the connect.

If a new Lost in Space movie comes out based on the original TV series and is a hit (remember, this is just a hypothetical), I can see the Gold Key Space Family: Lost in Space getting swept up in the hype in our current speculative environment, but only because of the title of that comic. The Lost in Space comic from Gold Key has absolutely nothing in common with the Lost in Space TV series. (In actuality, they have more in common than the two different GOTG books, but I digress.)

I have a quick question, do they feature Yondu in the current GOTG comic? Just trying to understand if there is an "in universe" explanation for why a character that appeared in the 31st century is now a contemporary in the current Marvel Universe. I'm guessing this is just a case of Marvel not caring about continuity and reusing a character's name/looks, but I also know some writers like to legitimize these types of decisions and come up with some hacked story to connect the two. Outside the name and some physical similarities (fin/mohawk, blue skin), the two characters are not the same at all.

The original GOTG book is important, but not due to the hype of the movie. If you are a fan of those characters and that 31st century storyline, I absolutely agree that book would be important. I can even seem some interest in it perhaps because of it being an inspiration for the current GOTG comic. (Marvel - "Hey, we have this Guardians of the Galaxy title just collecting dust. Let's come up with a new book that reuses that title.") Honestly, right now, the title is the extent of the connect.

This.

And if a person, like me, consider what Marvel has been doing for a number of years now as basically neglecting what the inherent poetics and principles of the Marvel Age were, the current books are even more unrelated.

Not only they do not feature the original Guardians, but they also offer arbitrary reinterpretations of the original characters, more than often just for the sake of it.

Stan Lee may think a desecrating parody of Rawhide kid is a clever idea (his words) but I strognly doubt it was intended as such at the time. Same goes for most of the "Max" line, and most of what they did after Civil War. No wonder the 99% of the previous writers did not collaborate with Marvel all these years: the new management just drove them away.

The two GOTG books are different characters with entirely different premises. Superman is the same character for the most part. Attempting to compare this to Avenger and now Superman... :facepalm:

I now have to ask, have you even read these GOTG comics? Anybody who has can clearly tell they are not related.

Agreed!

But Im wondering if say there was hypothetically a Defenders movie in the works that looks like the "New Defenders" roster (Gargoyle, Moondragon, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Son of Satan, Hellcat) rather than any of the early originals (Hulk, Prince Namor, Doc Strange, Silver Surfer)...

Would people say, "you gotta get Marvel Feature #1!!" or would the $$ flow to Defenders #125?

I would bet speculators jump all over MF #1. Even though Defenders 125 would be the more pertinent book. Disagree?

Agreed!

But Im wondering if say there was hypothetically a Defenders movie in the works that looks like the "New Defenders" roster (Gargoyle, Moondragon, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Son of Satan, Hellcat) rather than any of the early originals (Hulk, Prince Namor, Doc Strange, Silver Surfer)...

Would people say, "you gotta get Marvel Feature #1!!" or would the $$ flow to Defenders #125?

I would bet speculators jump all over MF #1. Even though Defenders 125 would be the more pertinent book. Disagree?

Its not even hypothetical , There is the Defenders TV Show coming out on Netflix . Will be Iron fist , luke Cage , Daredevil and someone else , cant remember at the moment. nothing to do with the comic book team in MF #1 but absolutley MF #1 will go for big bucks if the show is a hit. Just the nature of the biz and collecting right now. It has become a haven for speculators. And again as i mentioned in another thread , us collectors add to it. We want the book before the prices run up but we collectors by scrambling to get copies drive the price up also. Vicious cycle.

Its not even hypothetical , There is the Defenders TV Show coming out on Netflix . Will be Iron fist , luke Cage , Daredevil and someone else , cant remember at the moment. nothing to do with the comic book team in MF #1 but absolutley MF #1 will go for big bucks if the show is a hit.

For what its worth, Cage and DD are recurring members.

Yes, but Luke Cage was in the Defenders very briefly (Nighthawk had the idea of hiring him, since he had the money) and Daredevil… I remember just brief interactions with the Defenders.

More poignant the Angel and Iceman, then, considered they were part of the team for a good number of issues, before Marvel decided to launch X-Factor and close the series. :)

Its not even hypothetical , There is the Defenders TV Show coming out on Netflix . Will be Iron fist , luke Cage , Daredevil and someone else , cant remember at the moment. nothing to do with the comic book team in MF #1 but absolutley MF #1 will go for big bucks if the show is a hit.

For what its worth, Cage and DD are recurring members.

This... and Cage joins in Defenders 17.

Thank you so much for a "rare" critical and truthful review of this part of the comic book industry , there are many extremely questionable aspects of this hobby but you would never know that from most of the leading posters on these chat boards, I almost think they are compensated yes men.

you have given us an in depth article to read and learn from and I thank you for your time and effort I am actually going to read all your posts no because you actually no what reality is.

Thank you so much for a "rare" critical and truthful review of this part of the comic book industry , there are many extremely questionable aspects of this hobby but you would never know that from most of the leading posters on these chat boards, I almost think they are compensated yes men.

you have given us an in depth article to read and learn from and I thank you for your time and effort I am actually going to read all your posts no because you actually no what reality is.

Yes compensated! CGC gives me one free submission a year,trying to save up for one hundred submissions. lol

So I decided to read the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy series again. Something really caught my eye in issue # 2.

I know quite a few detractors of MSH 18 have been saying that there is nothing in common between the 31st century team from 1969 and the 2008 series besides Yondo and the name Guardians of the Galaxy.

Then I read GOTG ( 2008 series ) #2......

The current "team" is on the asteroid Hydronis where they find of all people Vance Astro... yes the same exact Vance Astrovik from MSH #18. Mantis informs Starlord that Astro was temporally displaced, so it is in fact, the same exact Vance Astro that first appeared in MSH 18, an original member of the 1969 GOTG.. He tells the Rocket, Groot, Starlord and Gamora That he is from a group called the " Guardians of the Galaxy" Rocket Racoon is all like " sweet name" and later says " So GOTG is a keeper , right?"

Vance Astro Joins them, and they start calling themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy.

My mind is blown right now. So issue #2 is technically the first appearance of the new guardians of the galaxy team, at least when they start calling themselves GOTG, and they didn't become that team until a founding member of the original GOTG team joined them and basically gave them the name. Before this happened they were just a group ragtag fighters.

So in a nutshell, There is a direct link between the GOTG from MSH 18 and the current GOTG ... Vance Astro was on both teams!

I understand that he wasn't in the movie, but im not talking about movies, Im talking about comics. This is very important in my mind. I am very surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

I just reached issue 17, where it gets confusing. So Starhawk is traveling in time trying to stop some catastrophe and each time he changes certain things, but only he can tell. The Vance Astro ( Major Victory ) that is on this new team, is in fact Vance Astro from the original GOTG, but he is from one of these altered timestreams ( so its him, but not him) More than one of him exists.

Either way, its the same Vance Astro, that's why he remembers the team GOTG and everything else had done with the original team. If you get pulled into a different timeline and remember everything, you are still you right? Everything else just changed, right?

I am SO done with time travel :pullhair:

If anyone is an expert in time travel, please plug away at this. I just think there is more of a connection to the original GOTG team than most think here.

Just out of curiosity, what qualifies one, in your mind, as a "leading poster on these boards"...?

hm

And what...specifically...leads you to make the claim that they (whomever "they" may be) might be "compensated yes men"?

Compensated by whom?

I understand that he wasn't in the movie, but im not talking about movies, Im talking about comics. This is very important in my mind. I am very surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Without Vance Astro and references to the original series I don’t think they would have called them "Guardians of the Galaxy".

But they are just references, as much as they throw in.

I am SO done with time travel :pullhair:

If anyone is an expert in time travel, please plug away at this. I just think there is more of a connection to the original GOTG team than most think here.

It‘s precisely because of how they exaggerated with this BS that I think, inversely, the bare essence of stories loses their significance. Marvel has embraced this idea, pushed it to extremes of inconsistency that shows how little they care for the characters, or rather how they prefer to have them as "disposable" in unnumered "universes" so they can get rid of them, or pick them back, without any integrity.

The drop in value of a 9.6/9.8 MSH 18 in the next couple of years is going to be like the GL 76 9.6 drop. Comparisons to B&B #28 are absurd.

I agree. I would love to own a copy, but I have a feeling if I wait, this is one comic I won't have problems picking up for much, much less down the line.