• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED - Thread has de-railed!!

1,110 posts in this topic

Ridiculous that this thread is approaching 50 pages. The lesson I have learned...don't go to PM to save $40 or $50 dollars on a $3000 book when it was priced to move in the first place.

^^

-J.

More stupid. It wasn't $40 or $50. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Ridiculous that this thread is approaching 50 pages. The lesson I have learned...don't go to PM to save $40 or $50 dollars on a $3000 book when it was priced to move in the first place.

^^

-J.

From the sales forum discussion thread --- this is what you said earlier ---

"Just to want to clarify one thing Dan mentioned in his locked thread. My offer would actually net him $40-50 LESS than roulette's $3650 BIN. I believe Dan had erroneously posted that not honoring our deal would cost him money. Not exactly true. "

I'm trying not to let the facts get in the way...

^^

-J.

From the sales forum discussion thread --- this is what you said earlier ---

"Just to want to clarify one thing Dan mentioned in his locked thread. My offer would actually net him $40-50 LESS than roulette's $3650 BIN. I believe Dan had erroneously posted that not honoring our deal would cost him money. Not exactly true. "

I'm trying not to let the facts get in the way...

My offer, accepted by Dan, was $3500. $3650-$3500 = > $40-50.

^^

-J.

Absolutely. They kissed and made up (or at least one did, I can't read this whole thread, it's too much). Everyone will be more careful moving forward.

Here's mine... what can I do better ? (shrug)

0c16e3e90d5f7f1acc7b8ca996ae558f.gif

46c7ee59148b1b877d4d51e60f6ab129.gif

b1bdecb4cf7ce5a44e6c25947c0a2de1.gif

- 1st :takeit: in the sales thread beats any agreement between parties via PM or elsewhere. If you're worried about losing the item, then you better post it here ;)

- Paypal only please.

- No probies, HOS or people who I choose not to sell to or those on my ignore list.

- Payment required within three days after you are sent an invoice unless prior arrangements are made beforehand. After that, books are back up for sale.

- Shipping will boxed Priority/insured and included in the price for each item for USA domestic addresses. Out of USA shipping is available, but will be the buyer's responsibility, expensive and exact.

- Returns gladly accepted within 7 days of receipt of package and returned at buyer's expense (unless I totally screw it up...then, of course, it's on me).

Move yourself over to eBay chat and just sell on eBay. (shrug)

I actually don't like it when my buyers post "I'll take it per PM" in the thread. It might give others the impression I'm discounting. I'll just mark the book sold. If someone posts the "take it" before I update, then explain it sold via PM.

Yup, me too.

I feel for Transplant. I know he likes DD and as I said, if it was my thread he'd have gotten the book but Dan's rules have always been Dan's rules.

I really do think that if people want to they can make the marketplace a better place. I think this topic comes up a couple of times a month lately.

I'll betcha he likes Daredevil just a little bit less now.

So what happens if you get a PM that says " :takeit: if we can work out a price" ??

lol in this case the same thing would happen if another buyer posts I'll take it in the thread first since that would trump "ALL PMs."

-J.

What happens if someone posts " :takeit: , if we can work out a price" in the thread?

That's your interpretation of his intent. I don't think he ever said his price was firm or wasn't willing to haggle.

Look at the first page of his Sales Thread. He clearly states the PRICE IS FIRM.

But apparently was not. He entered into negotiations, even settled on them. Sort of throws the whole first post and rules out the window at that point.

Again, I don't think Dan intentionally tried to screw anyone and understand the thought process of awarding the book to roulette. I just think this can be easily avoided.

Poor Dan. His stupid rules are not being respected. :(

There's a lot of stupid in this thread. Interesting to note some folks here I normally clash with advocating that what happened was unjust. Just an observation. To the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who've insinuated I've been crying on a public forum about losing this book (I'm looking at you Red_Hood), in the words of the immortal OldGuy, Go Fist Yourself. The record speaks for itself.

Here's the facts. Dan has his sales thread with whatever caveats he had in place. He and I negotiated about a price. He said he could take the price if I paid a non-fee way. I accepted. Deal was done in my mind. I've already mentioned I was making my way to board a plane. We had a PM deal done. No negotiating left to do.

In my mind, it's no different than this example. Seller says $100. No Paypal. By PM, I offer $110 if you will accept Paypal. By PM, seller responds I accept that higher pricer paid by Paypal. Do we have a deal?

Dan originally said price was firm. It wasn't, obviously, His net was similar as I agreed to save him the PP fees. Does that mean we could never reach a deal via PM, simply because he first stated that the price was firm?

I'll post the PMs if Dan wants. But the deal was done. It was done about 10 minutes before roulette44 posted in the thread. I've no idea if he and Dan were talking separately via PM.

I also got a PM from roulette44 who is clearly paying attention to the resulting drama. It was not, true believers, offering to defer to me on the book. Maybe the case would be different if this were a $50 book, but it's not. All I asked is that he let me know when it's been CPR'd and put up for sale again. I won't buy it, but I'd like to see where it ends up. As I mentioned, this book had certain things I've been looking for in a DD#1 for a while. C'est la vie.

Finally, to all the internet lawyers. Reading wikipedia does not qualify you to practice law. Technically, we probably had a contract in place, the second I accepted Dan's counter offer. But as someone who negotiates contracts in the 7-8 figure range, I have to laugh at the absolute statements about contract law in this thread.

Too everyone. Let it go. It's done. Dan made his decision. Roulette made his decision. You can decide on your own, what if anything you want to do about this in the future with the parties involved. I know I'll be clear in my threads that timestamp wins, PM or otw. In fact, to placate those whose female undergarments have gathered together tightly, I may just post a separate thread or post in the discussion thread. It will be similar to when the nutjobs posts in the newspaper classified denouncing all liability for debts of themselves or the US or the neighbor's dog. I.e., I will expect that every buyer of mine will know that, in order to consummate any sale, the buyer will need to pay the equivalent value of the book in fish manure, recites the Portugese translation of the Canterbury Tales (The Wife of Bath's Tale - cause the image of women bathing is pleasing) and post thrice within the sales thread as well as PM Arch demanding fare treatment for eunuchs.

Helluva Friday thread folkses.

Whoa! Your BSD just hit the side of my leg! :o

Just to play devil's advocate. Why did the PM buyer bother to post I'll take it in the thread if he thought it was a done deal already?

^^

Finally!

Why would a seller accept a deal but have a rule in place that could cause that deal to be void if the thread wasn't literally INSTANTLY updated by either party in the PM? I've already asked...what good reason is there for that?

The only reason I can think of is "Just in case I can get more money for it".

Here's mine... what can I do better ? (shrug)

0c16e3e90d5f7f1acc7b8ca996ae558f.gif

46c7ee59148b1b877d4d51e60f6ab129.gif

b1bdecb4cf7ce5a44e6c25947c0a2de1.gif

- 1st :takeit: in the sales thread beats any agreement between parties via PM or elsewhere. If you're worried about losing the item, then you better post it here ;)

- Paypal only please.

- No probies, HOS or people who I choose not to sell to or those on my ignore list.

- Payment required within three days after you are sent an invoice unless prior arrangements are made beforehand. After that, books are back up for sale.

- Shipping will boxed Priority/insured and included in the price for each item for USA domestic addresses. Out of USA shipping is available, but will be the buyer's responsibility, expensive and exact.

- Returns gladly accepted within 7 days of receipt of package and returned at buyer's expense (unless I totally screw it up...then, of course, it's on me).

Move yourself over to eBay chat and just sell on eBay. (shrug)

Thank you Andy. Don't you have points to count somewhere... you know... meaningful, important stuff ;)

:foryou:

I beg to differ. In this particular case he was negotiating with the seller in a PM in a listing where he knew an I'll take it in the thread would negate his negotiations. He says he agreed to a deal in PM but then did not "take it" in the thread until AFTER someone else already had. That tells me two things.: first: that he knew he has to formally "take it" in the thread to secure the book and second: that his PM negotiations had nothing to do with his wanting to keep the sale "private".

The buyer simply erred and lost out to another buyer that was ready willing and able to fully perform per the listing. Tough break but it happens.

-J.

If only there were someone, anyone, you could ask about whether what you "know" was correct or not. Or you could, you know, just keep conversing out of your anus.

You beat me to it but I was nicer.

Most people are nicer than me. But I win b/c mine was first.

Define "first".

Didn't any of you guys go to bed?

I highlighted the part Jay seems to keep going back to as his "proof" that transplant knew he had to post a :takeit: in the thread to get the book.

I disagree with why jay thinks Tran posted it.

I think Tran thought the deal was done, as would I under the circumstances, and when he saw the :takeit: in the thread AFTER he had made his deal, he went ahead and posted his :takeit: as a way of letting that person know that he had already bought it through PM.

I don't doubt Spider-Dan's apology is sincere but sometimes it is better to let things die. It is still being discussed in the Sales Discussion thread so why bring it to CG and rehash and continue the bloodletting, regardless of how one interprets this transaction.

At least it started on a Friday so the timing was good.

Just my 2c