• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED - Thread has de-railed!!

1,110 posts in this topic

Dan stated something in one of his responses that everyone needs to put in their sales listings...

"MY SALES THREAD... MY RULES"

That should end multiple threads of endless debate over who is perceived as right and who is perceived as wrong.

Sorry, Rupp, but that's not how it works.

If you said "MY SALES THREAD...MY RULES...AND I SAY YOU HAVE TO ROB A BANK TO PAY FOR THIS ITEM", then your "rules" are invalid.

Once you stop thinking of this as the New York Stock Exchange where the owners there actually care about sales interactions and have posted rules and laws of buying and selling... and then remember this is basically a "no fee, garage sale area" for us to sell comic books... then get back to me.

Till then, put me back on ignore and continue your bath salt, induced interpretations of how everything works ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

I know you need to be insulting to those who disagree with you, but if you're going to refer to me and what I said, I'm perfectly free to respond. If you say something that is contrary to basic logic and common sense, I'll respond with basic logic and common sense.

And one of those is you can't say "MY THREAD, MY RULES" if those rules are contrary to the law, for example.

If you can't respond without being insulting, the problem lies with you.

Never referred to you RMA. Never quoted you. Your name isn't even in the line above my post. I was responding to Jaydogrules quote.

You have the unnecessary need to push your opinion down everyone's throat... which would be fine if I asked for it. I didn't.

You have me on ignore... yet you chose to address me... sounds like the problem is with you (as usual).

I assume to you just want to dazzle me with wordplay. Trust me, you don't have to ;) We are all dazzled enough :cool:

xxx ooo

Rupp

Rupp...there is something called "oblique reference", and you are quite good at it. One need not specifically mention another to refer to what they have said.

I'm not going to insult you in return. You have a very big issue with me, though I have done nothing to you, which is why you feel the need to say things about me which aren't true, like "you have the need to push your opinion down everyone's throats." No one here is tied up. No one here is forced to read anything anyone else writes. Everyone is free to post what they will, according to the rules of the board. No one can "force their opinion" down ANYONE'S throats, except for the CCG and their representatives.

It's disingenuous to say that.

I do wish, however, that you would not try to interact with me, on any level. Is that really all that much to ask?

:wishluck:

So you toggle my quote to interact with me since you have me on ignore... because I'm someone you really don't like... and I pretty much act the same way I'm always going to react to you when you attempt to talk to me... since I really don't like you... and " I " am the one who is trying to interact with you?

Bath salts are kicking in hm

If you don't want to interact with me... you have two options... stop toggling a person you have on ignore to interact with them because of an undying need to voice your opinion... or head on over to ebay chat.

Because we are used to that sort of information, it's confusing as to why he didn't but I do believe technically, those rules were spelled out in the first post.

I too would have sold the book to Mike, but I understand why Dan didn't.

And that is why we are here.

If Tranny didn't understand that he HAD to post take it in the thread before the deal was final, then Dan didn't make it clear in his direct discussion with Tranny.

"But it was right there, in his first post!"

Yes, but that doesn't *really* matter in direct negotiations. It is incumbent upon the seller to make sure the buyer understands any and all terms, or the deal isn't final.

Tranny thought it was final, and was led to believe it was final by Dan.

A deal was made between both parties via PM. Booth parties went on about other business.

After that an I'll take it was posted in the thread.

Because the rules say "...trumps ALL PMs" the first deal was abandoned by the seller, which by his rules allows him to do so.

Seriously, do people think this is rule of "I'll take it in the thread trumps all" (including done deals) is a good way of doing it? Do people really think it's a better way than using a time stamp (definitive proof) to determine who bought the book first?

The absolute only benefit of that is to the seller. It could prompt people to buy quickly rather than send an offer,(i get that) or allow the seller to back out of a deal to take a better price or a preferred customer. (shady)

If time stamp rules is in affect, the worst thing that could happen is a public buyer be told that it already sold via PM, which they should be aware that it might be especially if it had been sitting there for more than 60 seconds.

At least no one that thinks they actually have a deal in place is going to get burnt.

Maybe Transplant should have been aware that unless he posted in the thread, he could still get trumped, but since it's very uncommon to make a deal and then it be broken in this way, I'm certain he didn't consider it. I'm sure most would not.

I'm in full agreement with this post. It is confusing and yet technically Dan didn't do anything wrong.

And that is why last week or the week before I was trying to put a big push in making timestamp sales the norm in the selling rules.

Dan stated something in one of his responses that everyone needs to put in their sales listings...

That should end multiple threads of endless debate over who is perceived as right and who is perceived as wrong.

If you said "MY SALES THREAD...MY RULES...AND I SAY YOU HAVE TO ROB A BANK TO PAY FOR THIS ITEM", then your "rules" are invalid.

Once you stop thinking of this as the New York Stock Exchange where the owners there actually care about sales interactions and have posted rules and laws of buying and selling... and then remember this is basically a "no fee, garage sale area" for us to sell comic books... then get back to me.

Till then, put me back on ignore and continue your bath salt, induced interpretations of how everything works ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

I know you need to be insulting to those who disagree with you, but if you're going to refer to me and what I said, I'm perfectly free to respond. If you say something that is contrary to basic logic and common sense, I'll respond with basic logic and common sense.

And one of those is you can't say "MY THREAD, MY RULES" if those rules are contrary to the law, for example.

Never referred to you RMA. Never quoted you. Your name isn't even in the line above my post. I was responding to Jaydogrules quote.

You have the unnecessary need to push your opinion down everyone's throat... which would be fine if I asked for it. I didn't.

You have me on ignore... yet you chose to address me... sounds like the problem is with you (as usual).

I assume to you just want to dazzle me with wordplay. Trust me, you don't have to ;) We are all dazzled enough :cool:

xxx ooo

Rupp

Rupp...there is something called "oblique reference", and you are quite good at it. One need not specifically mention another to refer to what they have said.

I'm not going to insult you in return. You have a very big issue with me, though I have done nothing to you, which is why you feel the need to say things about me which aren't true, like "you have the need to push your opinion down everyone's throats." No one here is tied up. No one here is forced to read anything anyone else writes. Everyone is free to post what they will, according to the rules of the board. No one can "force their opinion" down ANYONE'S throats, except for the CCG and their representatives.

I do wish, however, that you would not try to interact with me, on any level. Is that really all that much to ask?

So you toggle my quote to interact with me since you have me on ignore... because I'm someone you really don't like... and I pretty much act the same way I'm always going to react to you when you attempt to talk to me... since I really don't like you... and " I " am the one who is trying to interact with you?

If you don't want to interact with me... you have two options... stop toggling a person you have on ignore to interact with them because of an undying need to voice your opinion... or head on over to ebay chat.

The answer, Rupp, is simple: please don't refer to what I say, however oblique you think you're being (or post in my threads, as in the Last Comic Standing thread), and I will be happy to completely ignore you, as I have been doing for several years now.

Please?

A deal was made between both parties via PM. Booth parties went on about other business.

Because the rules say "...trumps ALL PMs" the first deal was abandoned by the seller, which by his rules allows him to do so.

Seriously, do people think this is rule of "I'll take it in the thread trumps all" (including done deals) is a good way of doing it? Do people really think it's a better way than using a time stamp (definitive proof) to determine who bought the book first?

The absolute only benefit of that is to the seller. It could prompt people to buy quickly rather than send an offer,(i get that) or allow the seller to back out of a deal to take a better price or a preferred customer. (shady)

If time stamp rules is in affect, the worst thing that could happen is a public buyer be told that it already sold via PM, which they should be aware that it might be especially if it had been sitting there for more than 60 seconds.

At least no one that thinks they actually have a deal in place is going to get burnt.

Maybe Transplant should have been aware that unless he posted in the thread, he could still get trumped, but since it's very uncommon to make a deal and then it be broken in this way, I'm certain he didn't consider it. I'm sure most would not.

This.

I'm in full agreement with this post. It is confusing and yet technically Dan didn't do anything wrong.

And that is why last week or the week before I was trying to put a big push in making timestamp sales the norm in the selling rules.

Technically, Dan DID do something wrong: he abandoned a done deal, which was thought as "done" by the buyer, based upon the words of the seller.

xxx ooo

Rupp

xxx ooo

Rupp

The answer, Rupp, is simple: please don't refer to what I say, however oblique you think you're being (or post in my threads, as in the Last Comic Standing thread), and I will be happy to completely ignore you, as I have been doing for several years now.

Please?

Can someone else please explain that this quote was not directed to or had anything associated with ANYTHING that RMA was trying to say ? He seems to think that any thread I post in, that he also has posted in, ... has something to do with something he said. (shrug)

Because we are used to that sort of information, it's confusing as to why he didn't but I do believe technically, those rules were spelled out in the first post.

If Tranny didn't understand that he HAD to post take it in the thread before the deal was final, then Dan didn't make it clear in his direct discussion with Tranny.

Yes, but that doesn't *really* matter in direct negotiations. It is incumbent upon the seller to make sure the buyer understands any and all terms, or the deal isn't final.

OK. So we just disagree on who's responsability it was to make sure the buyer understood the terms of the sale. I think it being posted in the thread was all the notification he needed, but you think because the negotiations were via PM (and not in the thread) that they should have been restated.

If transplant thought he had a deal in place he should have posted the "I'll take it" in the thread, per PM. Instead, he waited until AFTER roulette put up the unconditional "I'll take it" in the thread.

The seller's rules were crystal clear, they were not confusing in the least. He specifically said first "I'll take it" in thread trumps ALL PM's. He even made a point to emphasize "ALL". There was no need for him to "reiterate" his rules again in a PM, they were already there, plain as day in his listing.

It's great he's being a stand up guy with the other prospective seller, trying not to burn any bridges, but per the explicit rules of his thread, he made the correct decision. I feel for the other buyer, but it really was the right decision.

-J.

Sorry, but that's not how contract law works. You are making assumptions. The rules themselves were not confusing...it was Dan's failure to follow his rules that led to the confusion.

I'm not quite sure why you don't understand what negotiations are.

I work with contracts all day actually. The seller saying first "I'll take it in thread trumps ALL PM's" is only unclear for those who are unable to be impartial for some reason.

This is bad reasoning. No one said the rule was unclear.

And that may be the first time in my 9+ years on this board that someone has accused me of being partial in favor of Tranny.

;)

Sellers put that in their listing for the sole reason to deter PM haggling. Even if Dan had an agreement in principal with the other buyer, the buyer should have posted the "I'll take it". But he didn't until after roulette did. How was Dan to know that buyer was going to perform ? He didn't post the "I'll take it". For all Dan knows the buyer might be having second thoughts or getting cold feet. Roulette stepped in and gave an unconditional "I'll take it" and it beat the other buyer. Per the rules of the listing roulette wins.

-J.

Except that the haggling was over. The deal was done. If Tranny was required to post the take it emoticon, Dan should have made that explicitly clear in any and all negotiations, because it was central to the sale (as we have seen.)

And as Dan himself stated, he made a counter, and tranny accepted it. There were no second thoughts. The deal was DONE.

I would agree with you, if Tranny hadn't accepted the counter BEFORE Roulette. You would be absolutely correct. But that's not what happened.

Technically, Dan DID do something wrong: he abandoned a done deal, which was thought as "done" by the buyer, based upon the words of the seller.

Look, I disagree but this is what makes the world go 'round and why politicians never win - it's only degrees of losing: different people see different things.

The best thing to do here is not to argue whether Dan did something wrong or Mike did something wrong, because the forum will just be divided. IMO the best thing to do here is to prevent it from happening again.

xxx ooo

Rupp

xxx ooo

Rupp

Please?

Can someone else please explain that this quote was not directed to or had anything associated with ANYTHING that RMA was trying to say ? He seems to think that any thread I post in, that he also has posted in, ... has something to do with something he said. (shrug)

Wait... I did say "endless debate" didn't I. Sorry RMA, this was directed at you ;)

I apologize :sorry:

OK. So we just disagree on who's responsability it was to make sure the buyer understood the terms of the sale. I think it being posted in the thread was all the notification he needed, but you think because the negotiations were via PM (and not in the thread) that they should have been restated.

On eBay, who is responsible for the listing's terms? The buyer, or the seller?

hm

The term was central to the sale, as we have discovered. Dan should not, in any way, have accepted (by virtue of making the counter), that offer and not made it clear that the deal was not final until such-and-such action was also completed.

Who here finalizes a deal without making sure everyone is on the exact same page?

Who here finalizes a deal without making sure everyone is on the exact same page?

A very large number of forum members.

Look, I disagree but this is what makes the world go 'round and why politicians never win - it's only degrees of losing: different people see different things.

The best thing to do here is not to argue whether Dan did something wrong or Mike did something wrong, because the forum will just be divided. IMO the best thing to do here is to prevent it from happening again.

You will never be able to prevent it from happening again, without everyone understanding why it happened in the first place.

As MCMiles said, this keeps on happening.. This is not the first time this issue has come up. If everyone doesn't agree that A. something is wrong, and B. WHAT that something is, it will continue to happen, and nothing will prevent it.

I agree (especially about the politics). However, I think that Spider Dan admitted fault when he started the thread. He knew he'd done something wrong.

I also think starting a CG thread just put a huge bullseye on him and his sales thread.

This would be great Roy.... IF there were posted guidelines to follow.

I don't want anymore unnecessary rules here just as much as the next guy... but when it gets down to it on something like this... it's pretty much the seller's call.

No one has to like it... and obviously it's going to be debated.... but without POSTED rules, it's all board etiquette and personal opinions. (shrug)

A very large number of forum members.

And you well know that the abundance of popularity doesn't therefore prove the worthiness of an action.