• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some cool, undervalued pre code horror books out there?

20 posts in this topic

Im curious as to what others I can snatch up at a decent price if they're appealing. I would base the "cool" on, cover art, appeal, story line, inside art, and quality of the book.

Let me know of what your opinions are. I've heard of a few companies not many outside of the comic world know, Dell, Charlton, and Atlas, however I think Atlas might be Silver Age. Just see if you can think of any. smile.gif

The Ace Horror Comics like WEB OF MYSTERY are a bit cheaper than others, but there are several good covers and cool stories in these books. Not as gory as other Pre-Code stuff though.

Agreed. The Gerber photojournals should be a must-buy (not the marvel volumes). That's the single best resource in the world on cool covers.

Here's a quick and dirty hit list of desirable covers...but these aren't undervalued...in fact, expect vigorous competition on all of them.

Weird Mysteries #5

Mister Mystery #12 (also #11 as a runner-up)

Black Cat Mystery #50

Horrific #3

Voodoo Annual

Tomb of Terror #13 (I think it's 13?..the exploding head one, in any case)

Any Ditko issues of Thing!

Also very desirable though the bidding war will be slightly less fierce...

Strange Mysteries #1 (Superior is just weird!)

Dark Mysteries #1, #2 (Wally Wood art)...hmm, maybe these should be in the first list...

Horrific #5 (hanging cover)

Beware! Terror Tales #1 (cool Baily cover)

Ziff-Davis painted, pulp-esque covers

early issues of Black Magic (Simon and Kirby)

Tales from the Crypt #33 (origin Crypt-keeper...hey, I had to throw that one in there! 27_laughing.gif)

That's a very brief list of what immediately springs to mind. Sorry for leaving out the Atlas books, as I'm not much into 'em. POV can probly help with those!

Shrunk, I love ya buddy, but I can't agree to suggest that Voodoo Annual is coveted as "cool cover" book. crazy.gif Coveted as a big, fat annual ... yeah, but it's cover art is no Mister Mystery 12 by a long shot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just some friendly rebuttal banter.... grin.gif

Atlas published more pre-code horror titles than any other publisher! Download my pre-code horror checklist. You can just click on the link, Copy and paste into most any spreadsheet program (or whatever you want to use but spreadsheet makes it very searchable.)

Pov's Pe-code Horror Checklist

Hey Scott,

First off, "Welcome to the Boards!" hi.gif

Now that we have that out of the way; I've read a few of your posts and I understand you are on a limited budget. Pre-code horror is an endevor which will require some capital. Just as a suggestion, have you considered collecting Bronze Age horror instead? Many Bronze Age horror books can be purchased in higher grade at reasonable prices. You may want to consider it.

Here's a link to a very nice ongoing thread all about BA horror. thumbsup2.gif

Bronze Age Horror Thread

There are a lot of DC pre-code horror books featuring art by Bernie Wrightson (the 70s master) that can be had for cheap prices, as long as they aren't super high-grade.

I admire your interest in pre-code horror, but I should mention that there aren't a lot of deals in this area, and as has been mentioned before, the majority of pre-code commons (non-keys) are severely overvalued in guide.

The desirable covers that were cited above command very high prices even in low grade. As an example, I purchased a Good copy of Mister Mystery #12 for $200, a VG- copy of Horrific #3 for almost $150 and a copy of Tomb of Terror #15 in VG- for about $110. All three are super desirable for their lurid covers, but they are pricey and even undervalued in guide. The problem for you as a buyer is that there isn't a single dealer that doesn't realize that these books sell for way over guide.

The problem for you as a buyer is that there isn't a single dealer that doesn't realize that these books sell for way over guide.

Not entirely the case. Again, I think that our deep involvement in the hobby clouds our perception...not everybody is as "in the know" about the genre as some of us on the boards, dealers included. Coin dealers who dabble in comics are often a good place to go for keys...those guys typically don't know the comic market at all, and just assume that because they're armed with the Gerbers and an OS that they can do comics. They'll price a Horrific #3 at guide (and man do coinees price weird...if the guide says $183, they price the book at $183!) because they have no idea why it should sell for more. This is also true of dealers at shows sometimes, guys who dabble in gold when they can get it but don't really have a clue.

Scott, if you are on a limited budget I would highly suggest the entire Russ Cochran reprint line of EC's. thumbsup2.gif

While the reprints may not be "investment" material, they are a great way to be able to read some of the best pre-code horror comics out there.

Scott, if you are on a limited budget I would highly suggest the entire Russ Cochran reprint line of EC's. thumbsup2.gif

While the reprints may not be "investment" material, they are a great way to be able to read some of the best pre-code horror comics out there.

You bet, im working on getting these. smile.gif

There are a lot of DC pre-code horror books featuring art by Bernie Wrightson (the 70s master) that can be had for cheap prices, as long as they aren't super high-grade.

I know ya mean "Bronze Age," right!!?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

grin.gif

speaking of DC pre-code horror, does anyone else think it is pretty lame material? confused-smiley-013.gif Right up there with ACG stuff, IMO.... 893blahblah.gif

I know ya mean "Bronze Age," right!!?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

grin.gif

speaking of DC pre-code horror, does anyone else think it is pretty lame material? confused-smiley-013.gif Right up there with ACG stuff, IMO.... 893blahblah.gif

Yes, the DC pre-code horror is danged weak. Almost non-existent too. They DID have some nice covers on Sensation but.....

Scott

Don't stop at the EC reprints. There are alot of great color reprints of horror stuff from the 80s & 90s, and they can usually be had for cover or less, although the Wolverton reprints might run $5 each. Eclipse reprinted much of Wolverton's work in a couple of Mr. Monster Super Duper specials, they also put out the excellent Seduction of the Innocent series. AC put out a couple full-color reprint books - Wall of Flesh is one I can think of. There are also scads of B/W reprint books - but the reproduction is generally pretty poor, Marvel reprinted some of their better Atlas horror material a few years back, but I'm forgetting the title - they also reprinted tons of Atlas stuff in the early 70s in titles like Beware & Chamber of Chills, but some was post-code, and much of it junk.

As for originals, if your willing to settle for FR/G to G+ copies, there is alot of stuff that can be found for $20 and under on Ebay, including lots of Atlas books with cool Everett & Maneely covers, probably most of Ace's output, and alot of Harvey stuff. Just check the horror section in Golden Age on Ebay and throw in your lowball bids - you will win some stuff cheap!